Craig Shakespeare - Assistant Head Coach

PieFacE

On 04/10/2020 at 17:26, TrentVilla said:

I’m not taking anything away from Dean Smith but it’s very hard not to see parallels between how Leicester played under Ranieri with Shakespeare and how we played this evening.

Doesn’t take anything away from a leader to surround themselves with a strong team (I know this is the point you are making).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Has Richard O'Kelly taken over Smith's role as the man that sets up the cones?

I meant ROK instead of Cutler my bad! But yes from what I've read, ROK leads all of our training sessions. Here's excerpt from Birmingham Mail (not best source I know..)

image.png.41fd28a967647fa7eb5c21a7a0af96f3.png

On 05/10/2020 at 10:02, ZL- said:

Came here to say both of these and beaten to the punch! The long diagonal with a drifting striker running the channels is certainly a key tactic of the Ranieri/Shakespeare title winning Leicester team.

I believe the ball over the top behind the space vacated by the fullback was the exact strategy Watford executed when Shakespeare was number 2 as well.

At first I wasn't so sure if it would be a too many cooks situation with 3 number 2's but so far it seems to be working well; Shakespeare for general playstyle/tactics, Cutler for specific training ground drills and Terry for maybe general motivation, 1 on 1 coaching with players?

Speaking of Terry did anyone see him at VP last night, no reason to think he wasn't just don't remember the camera panning to him at all?

I'm quite sure that I saw him at the end of the game or maybe of the first half.

It is true that teams will start respecting us more and setting up to contain us. Like Sheffield United did.

But i think Barkley will massively help us unlocking those buses.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It is true that teams will start respecting us more and setting up to contain us. Like Sheffield United did.

football is agame of 2's for me......Jack can now play some little one , two's to better effect with Ross.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not putting this all on Shakespeare, but its interesting to consider that he joined Watford on 8th Dec 2019, Watford's pre and post Shakespeare form for that season was:

Pre :      (games played - 16) W 1 , D 6, L 9. (av. PPG - 0.47 - 18 points full season av.)

Post :    (games played - 22) W 7, D, 4, L 11 (av PPG - 1.09 - 41.5 points full season av.)

I think he was an inspired addition to the coaching team, also lets not forget his Leicester contributions. (and a Villa fan to boot)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'm not putting this all on Shakespeare, but its interesting to consider that he joined Watford on 8th Dec 2019, Watford's pre and post Shakespeare form for that season was:

Pre :      (games played - 16) W 1 , D 6, L 9. (av. PPG - 0.47 - 18 points full season av.)

Post :    (games played - 22) W 7, D, 4, L 11 (av PPG - 1.09 - 41.5 points full season av.)

I think he was an inspired addition to the coaching team, also lets not forget his Leicester contributions. (and a Villa fan to boot)

I will give Craig ALL the credit.

Smith get's no credit from me 😼

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Graham Stack moved up from the academy to become first team GK coach in December 2019.

I'm not saying he deserves all the credit, but he's definitely more responsible for the improvement in form than Shakespeare. The fact he didn't lose his job when Pearson and Shakespeare did says it all.

9 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Graham Stack moved up from the academy to become first team GK coach in December 2019.

I'm not saying he deserves all the credit, but he's definitely more responsible for the improvement in form than Shakespeare. The fact he didn't lose his job when Pearson and Shakespeare did says it all.

Wouldn't he have just been responsible for the goalkeepers?

59 minutes ago, Xela said:

Wouldn't he have just been responsible for the goalkeepers?

Probably, although Cutler seems involved in more than that for us. Point being when the whole of the coaching staff change at the same time it's odd to attribute it to one of them, particularly ignoring the manager who hired them.

8 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Probably, although Cutler seems involved in more than that for us. Point being when the whole of the coaching staff change at the same time it's odd to attribute it to one of them, particularly ignoring the manager who hired them.

i dont think anyone is ignoring the manager who hired them, Smith deserves all the plaudits he gets, my point was that its pretty clear that Shakespeare was a good appointment.

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think anyone is ignoring the manager who hired them, Smith deserves all the plaudits he gets, my point was that its pretty clear that Shakespeare was a good appointment.

I meant Nigel Pearson who also joined Watford December 2019.

8 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I meant Nigel Pearson who also joined Watford December 2019.

i think the sacking of Pearson & Shakespeare at Watford last season was absolute madness, and tbh probably contributed to their final demise.

The avg. PPG for Watford under Pearson was survival level, i wouldnt have been surprised if they would have stayed up if they didnt sack them, lucky for us so i wont complain.......was a shocking decision by the Watford owners.

• Like 1

This the table based on games whilst Pearson was Watford's manager... As it shows their form was comfortably midtable form.

1 Liverpool                               50
2 Manchester City                               43
3 Manchester United                               38
4 Burnley                               36
5 Tottenham Hotspur                               35
6 Sheffield United                               35
7 Arsenal                               34
8 Wolverhampton Wanderers                               33
9 Everton                               32
10 Southampton                               31
11 Chelsea                               31
12 Watford                               26
13 Leicester City                               24
14 Newcastle United                               24
15 West Ham United                               21
16 Crystal Palace                               21
17 Brighton and Hove Albion                               19
18 Aston Villa                               16
19 AFC Bournemouth                               15
20 Norwich City                               10

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 08/10/2020 at 13:00, villalad21 said:

BANG on the money tonight mate.

17 hours ago, useless said:

This the table based on games whilst Pearson was Watford's manager... As it shows their form was comfortably midtable form.

1 Liverpool                               50
2 Manchester City                               43
3 Manchester United                               38
4 Burnley                               36
5 Tottenham Hotspur                               35
6 Sheffield United                               35
7 Arsenal                               34
8 Wolverhampton Wanderers                               33
9 Everton                               32
10 Southampton                               31
11 Chelsea                               31
12 Watford                               26
13 Leicester City                               24
14 Newcastle United                               24
15 West Ham United                               21
16 Crystal Palace                               21
17 Brighton and Hove Albion                               19
18 Aston Villa                               16
19 AFC Bournemouth                               15
20 Norwich City                               10

The formatting on this is so bad I think it gave me Covid. 

• Like 1

Â