Craig Shakespeare - Assistant Head Coach

PieFacE

On 30/12/2020 at 13:31, TRO said:

you are right.

I had the pleasure on one occasion of being invited to an after match drink at a Hotel on the hagley Rd.....I got speaking to Tony Barton, it went on for about an hour, the man was amazing....I was gobsmacked at his indepth knowledge of the game, he blew me away with his attention to detail......All good managers need good assistants i.e Brian Clough & Peter Taylor.....Bill Shankly & Bob Paisley......Ron had a really good one...also Roy McLaren.

Its crucial.

No one man knows everything and Craig will help us become a more rounded team, its actually  happening.....Dean is already making references to our ability to morph from defence to attack and vice versa, these things take time to implement and coaches like Craig can help with the additional plans Dean has for the team.....Craig's addition will also speed up plans that Dean already had in his mind, but couldn't do it all himself.

great addition.

Alex Ferguson always had very good assistant coaches and a strong backroom team. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seemed obvious that he was brought in as Terry’s long term replacement. Terry has completed his badges and is free to look for his first manager job and we are not left with a disruptive search for his replacement. 

39 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Just been informed of something that happened a year ago? Tactical times with their finger on the pulse!!

I suspect that account also had worries about what “the boy Forestieri” could offer the opposition.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else concerned that Shakespeare is part of the problem at the moment? He apparently undermined Ranieri at Leicester and was a big advocate of simple, direct football. Our obsession with the long hall down the channel started when Shakespeare arrived. And I wonder if JT and ROK’s departures had anything to do with him too?

Anyone got any inside info?

35 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Anyone else concerned that Shakespeare is part of the problem at the moment? He apparently undermined Ranieri at Leicester and was a big advocate of simple, direct football. Our obsession with the long hall down the channel started when Shakespeare arrived. And I wonder if JT and ROK’s departures had anything to do with him too?

Why would anyone in the setup allow him to have so much influence? We had strong characters there (JT etc) no way Smith and co would let that happen. 
Something has become very rotten though, but I had no idea what/who it involves. My main concern is that it’s at the very top… ie, owners losing interest. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Why would anyone in the setup allow him to have so much influence? We had strong characters there (JT etc) no way Smith and co would let that happen. 
Something has become very rotten though, but I had no idea what/who it involves. My main concern is that it’s at the very top… ie, owners losing interest. 

Yea my big concern is a bigger budget was promised last summer, and when that didn’t happen everyone suddenly clocked that we were going to stall.

It’s not the Grealish departure per se that’s the issue - it’s the fact we didn’t invest on top of it. Surely nobody expected that from what Purslow had been saying before?

On 02/11/2021 at 21:13, KentVillan said:

Yea my big concern is a bigger budget was promised last summer, and when that didn’t happen everyone suddenly clocked that we were going to stall.

It’s not the Grealish departure per se that’s the issue - it’s the fact we didn’t invest on top of it. Surely nobody expected that from what Purslow had been saying before?

I must admit I didn't expect us to go wild with spending, but after Grealish left I thought we would make at least 1 maybe 2 additional signings.

I'm sure if Dean had asked for more players we would have backed him, it just doesn't feel like it works like that, I don't think he leads on who we want and who we sign.

I would hope we had money put aside for players in Jan and have already lined up signings, rather than get into the rip off panic buying that Jan brings.

But back on topic on Craig, it is hard to evaluate his position, because so many factors are destabilising the squad at the moment. But he should be held just as accountable as we do Dean as they are a team along with the rest of the staff and collectively they are both/all failing to get this team winning.

On 02/11/2021 at 19:49, KentVillan said:

He was lauded a year ago after we just embarrassed the champions Liverpool 7-2 as being a mastermind appointment. His winning top flight success & experience meant ROK was obviously no longer a valuable first team coach member so rather than be demoted to youth team football in reality he chose to leave. And now I’m supposed to believe that ROK’s departure  and Shakespeare’s now being being framed as a, problem… IMO he is being used, as has Purslow & Lange today by some as another scapegoat to divert from the real question which is on Smith alone. 

And even if the rumours are true and it’s Shakespeare’s fault and he’s behind our bad form than it’s a an inditement on Smith he tolerate’s it and sticks by him if he is part of the trouble? …

We always like to frame a villain based on hearsay, conjecture and denial…

Guess we will Find out soon what the bad egg is - Lange, Purslow, Shakespeare, ROK departure, Smith… 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

He was lauded a year ago after we just embarrassed the champions Liverpool 7-2 as being a mastermind appointment. His winning top flight success & experience meant ROK was obviously no longer a valuable first team coach member so rather than be demoted to youth team football in reality he chose to leave. And now I’m supposed to believe that ROK’s departure  and Shakespeare’s now being being framed as a, problem… IMO he is being used, as has Purslow & Lange today by some as another scapegoat to divert from the real question which is on Smith alone. 

And even if the rumours are true and it’s Shakespeare’s fault and he’s behind our bad form than it’s a an inditement on Smith he tolerate’s it and sticks by him if he is part of the trouble? …

We always like to frame a villain based on hearsay, conjecture and denial…

Guess we will Find out soon what the bad egg is - Lange, Purslow, Shakespeare, ROK departure, Smith… 

I think people just trying to work out why ROK and JT left, why we didn’t sign a DM in the summer, and why the atmosphere looks so bad.

It could all be Smith’s fault, but he doesn’t have any history of being a difficult or disruptive figure.

Agree though with others now that Shakespeare probably isn’t the problem. Seems more likely that Purslow has lost faith in Smith and wants to shake things up - would explain why we’ve held back transfer budget for another coach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think people just trying to work out why ROK and JT left, why we didn’t sign a DM in the summer, and why the atmosphere looks so bad.

Suspect ROK left as he's mid 60s and fancied spending more time with his grandkids then our academy kids. 

Terry left as he wants to become a manager and wanted to be free to search for that role and didn't want to disrupt us mid-season. 

We didn't sign a DM as Smith doesn't really play them, we have Luiz and Nakamba, with Sanson hopefully coming back fit to provide cover and high hopes for Iroegbunam. 

The atmosphere was fantastic a month ago when we beat United but the nature of the Wolves defeat followed by a bad run has tanked it. 

People are frustrated and taking it out on anyone they can. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Suspect ROK left as he's mid 60s and fancied spending more time with his grandkids then our academy kids. 

Terry left as he wants to become a manager and wanted to be free to search for that role and didn't want to disrupt us mid-season. 

We didn't sign a DM as Smith doesn't really play them, we have Luiz and Nakamba, with Sanson hopefully coming back fit to provide cover and high hopes for Iroegbunam. 

The atmosphere was fantastic a month ago when we beat United but the nature of the Wolves defeat followed by a bad run has tanked it. 

People are frustrated and taking it out on anyone they can. 

I consider Luiz a DM, so Smith plays a DM every week, and with the Brazil schedule known to be busy this year, and Nakamba known to be shit, surely we were in the market for some kind of DM (JWP?) - it just seems bizarre we let the summer pass without that happening. Maybe you're right that the expectation was Sanson would fill in.

The ROK explanation makes no sense to me. That's how it's being spun, but come on, this is the highest level of football he's reached in his career, and mid-60s is not that old. I don't see it.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I consider Luiz a DM, so Smith plays a DM every week, and with the Brazil schedule known to be busy this year, and Nakamba known to be shit, surely we were in the market for some kind of DM (JWP?) - it just seems bizarre we let the summer pass without that happening. Maybe you're right that the expectation was Sanson would fill in.

The ROK explanation makes no sense to me. That's how it's being spun, but come on, this is the highest level of football he's reached in his career, and mid-60s is not that old. I don't see it.

Mid-60s being old is personal opinion from what I can tell (long way off for me) by talking to various relatives /friends. My uncle died aged 63 and my Dad has lost several friends between 60 and 70 and plans to retire asap. However, some people keep pushing on and working way past this. 

Maybe he wasn't actually that interested in keeping going, even with it being the highest level he's done before. He did it and can tick it off, maybe that's enough for him. I could push a lot higher where I work but have literally zero interest in it. Everyone is different and we've seen nothing to confirm anything malevolent happened. 

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He's a DLP, which occupies the same space as the DM but is not exactly the same role. 

Football has moved on a lot in terms of roles now. 

• Like 1

Â