Craig Shakespeare - Assistant Head Coach

PieFacE

23 hours ago, useless said:

This the table based on games whilst Pearson was Watford's manager... As it shows their form was comfortably midtable form.

1 Liverpool                               50
2 Manchester City                               43
3 Manchester United                               38
4 Burnley                               36
5 Tottenham Hotspur                               35
6 Sheffield United                               35
7 Arsenal                               34
8 Wolverhampton Wanderers                               33
9 Everton                               32
10 Southampton                               31
11 Chelsea                               31
12 Watford                               26
13 Leicester City                               24
14 Newcastle United                               24
15 West Ham United                               21
16 Crystal Palace                               21
17 Brighton and Hove Albion                               19
18 Aston Villa                               16
19 AFC Bournemouth                               15
20 Norwich City                               10

jean claude van damme rage GIF by hero0fwar

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t think any of us really know the true value of a coach do we, as the buck stops with the real manager.  However, a new voice on the training ground and on match days must be refreshing for the players.  If Smith likes him that’s good enough for me to know he must be adding value.  

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That magic certainly did not help Watford much last season

They went from 7 points adrift at the bottom of the table before Pearson was appointed (who then took Shakespeare there too) to being three points out of the relegation zone.  Then Pearson and Shakespeare got sacked with 2 games left, which they lost and got relegated.

Thats magic dust right there.

• Like 3

Shakespeare won't follow Pearson this time round. He's here as a longer term appointment for when JT inevitably leaves to be a full-fledged coach himself.

Would be silly to leave his boyhood club building in the way we are to go for what would inevitably be another 6-12 month jaunt with Pearson in a relegation battle. If Terry doesn't leave in the next 12 months I'll be surprised, if he's still here in 18 months then I can see Shakespeare leaving to be the true No 2 somewhere but not this year for sure.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Shakespeare won't follow Pearson this time round. He's here as a longer term appointment for when JT inevitably leaves to be a full-fledged coach himself.

Would be silly to leave his boyhood club building in the way we are to go for what would inevitably be another 6-12 month jaunt with Pearson in a relegation battle. 

Exactly mate. Pearson will be lucky to get another PL gig, so his options will be:

i) Work with Smith at the club he supports

ii) Follow Pearson to somewhere like Middlesbrough. 

26 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Would be silly to leave his boyhood club building in the way we are to go for what would inevitably be another 6-12 month jaunt with Pearson in a relegation battle. If Terry doesn't leave in the next 12 months I'll be surprised, if he's still here in 18 months then I can see Shakespeare leaving to be the true No 2 somewhere but not this year for sure.

Shakespeare has a sniff of the magic he was part of at Leicester and Dean Smith was his boot boy and a fellow Great Barr native. I'm sure our owners have him on nice incentives and he's going nowhere soon

I think its no coincidence of our improvement since his arrival....thats taking nothing away from Dean Smiths credits, on the contrary it was Deans appointment.

Craig has a very impressive CV......and good experience of working with top players.

I think he fits nicely in to the jig saw and I suspect he is a good sounding board for Dean to bounce off....and a good mentor for JT's development as a coach.

Very good piece of recruitment for me.....and yet another Villan too.

• Like 3

On 27/12/2020 at 09:57, ferguson1 said:

I don’t think any of us really know the true value of a coach do we, as the buck stops with the real manager.  However, a new voice on the training ground and on match days must be refreshing for the players.  If Smith likes him that’s good enough for me to know he must be adding value.  

you are right.

I had the pleasure on one occasion of being invited to an after match drink at a Hotel on the hagley Rd.....I got speaking to Tony Barton, it went on for about an hour, the man was amazing....I was gobsmacked at his indepth knowledge of the game, he blew me away with his attention to detail......All good managers need good assistants i.e Brian Clough & Peter Taylor.....Bill Shankly & Bob Paisley......Ron had a really good one...also Roy McLaren.

Its crucial.

No one man knows everything and Craig will help us become a more rounded team, its actually  happening.....Dean is already making references to our ability to morph from defence to attack and vice versa, these things take time to implement and coaches like Craig can help with the additional plans Dean has for the team.....Craig's addition will also speed up plans that Dean already had in his mind, but couldn't do it all himself.

great addition.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â