Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Nice guy, hard worker, but just not technically very good. If we won't to progress then Watkins isn't part of the squad IMO.

We had a 2 on 2 yesterday and the "pass" he played to Coutinho was appalling. My nan could have made a better pass and she passed away 22 years ago.

That isn't an isolated incident unfortunately. Heavy touch, no real skill to get past a player. He hustles for sure but it must be frustrating playing with him - why bother making a run if you expect him to balloon his pass into the crowd?

27 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

According to this (end of segment) Gerrard is fighting to make sure Ollie stays and doesnt leave for West Ham. Sorry if duplicate.

Yeah came on to post this 

Interesting!

We are fighting to keep him here as there is alot of interest.

SG not interested in letting him go.

• Like 1

He's a bit of an enigma really, yes he missed those one on ones but he made those chances mainly himself with his relentless effort and strength and I think they are a lot tougher than they look when you're fighting a top PL defender while trying to keep control of the ball.  I'm sure we would be more frustrated by just having a poacher instead who is pretty much redundant for the entire game against the top teams.  His touch can be pretty shocking for an entire match but then he still ends up scoring, and he is capable of scoring pretty much any type of goal.  If we do improve the midfield and get more possession hopefully we can provide more regular chances and see if he can get off to a flyer next season.  If he is getting chances served up on a plate and he is still tripping over the ball then I'd definitely say he has reached his ceiling and we need someone else but strikers cost a fortune for a reason, so it wouldn't be easy finding someone.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

got no problem with gerrard trying to man manage him, for some reason a lot on here do have a problem with him, i dont get it, he has no confidence so im sure berating him at every opportunity is really helpful

Unless he reads VT, I think we're fine with discussing his performances/ability/limitations on here, isn't that what this forum is for?

Although he has a few strengths, he also happens to have many limitations, and is extremely frustrating, and that's why he gets so many comments/generates so much discussion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brummybloke said:

He has room to improve.

2nd season in the top flight didn't go as well as the first, but he didn't have jack feeding him this year.

Can be very frustrating to watch at times however he is an intelligent lad and I would expect preseason for him to have polished what is expected of him in regards movement and knowing who he will be playing with.

Intelligent person - not an intelligent footballer.

The opposite of Jack basically.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Unless he reads VT, I think we're fine with discussing his performances/ability/limitations on here, isn't that what this forum is for?

Although he has a few strengths, he also happens to have many limitations, and is extremely frustrating, and that's why he gets so many comments/generates so much discussion.

You think it's limited to VT? 

Social media is bandit country 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You think it's limited to VT? 

Social media is bandit country 

It seemed to me like he was referring to us on VT. I come on here to discuss stuff and get frustrations out after a bad performance, I'd never take to social media to do it.

Edited by Tom13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No wonder people get frustrated when they believe their grandmothers could score in the Prem.

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

No wonder people get frustrated when they believe their grandmothers could score in the Prem.

Ha. I just want someone capable of linking play at this level, and someone who can finish and make clever runs in behind. I'd keep Watkins as an option (unless someone's offering ridiculous money), but I think we could get a better first choice in.

Edited by Tom13

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Agreed. My biggest annoyance with him is when he gets in the box a little bit wider he tries to shoot and it gets blocked.

However if he had a bit of subtlety he could square the ball for a late runner. Coutinho makes so many  late runs it’s criminal he’s not been found with more frequency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said to my Leeds mate they should buy Watkins, Mcginn, Luiz and Nakamba.  Interestingly he said the only player he would 100% want is Mcginn. 

Funny how other teams fans see our players.

For me.....He has sacrificed himself, for the good of the club.....hopefully next season he resume his position further up field, where his forte, can be more effective.

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It seemed to me like he was referring to us on VT. I come on here to discuss stuff and get frustrations out after a bad performance, I'd never take to social media to do it.

Nor me, I left twitter because of it and for all the posting here I actually don't feel that comfortable posting on villas social media 

I don't know how the players do it, dread to think what shit they get from "fans" 

• Like 2

Is it really so difficult to find a striker who's as technically proficient as Lewa, as strong as Benzema at bringing others into play, heading and finishing or similar to Ronaldo and a bit of Messi?

Being as quick as Mbappe would be good to.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nor me, I left twitter because of it and for all the posting here I actually don't feel that comfortable posting on villas social media 

I don't know how the players do it, dread to think what shit they get from "fans" 

Same. I post a lot on here, good and bad but I’m a complete lurker on social media. I ‘like’ a lot but that’s about it. Would find it bizarre to comment on a players post, especially negatively. It’s just so…mean.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah came on to post this 

Interesting!

We are fighting to keep him here as there is alot of interest.

SG not interested in letting him go.

I'd imagine teams like West Ham want him as competition and rotation. We need him as the same here. 

He just can't be our main source of goals next season though. 

• Like 3

Â