Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I think we could do much worse than Watkins. I won't be gutted if we got him as a main striker but got the two wingers right. Benrahma and Brooks/Buendia for example. I think I'd be happy with those signings. If we could also attract Eze and a CM. I think we'll have had a very good window. Possibly a free CB, Aarons would be perfect bonuses too.

Sometimes it's not just about the needs, it's about having the opportunity that you won't get to attract a certain player such as: (Benrahma or Eze). I think we'll have an ok backup in Wesley. Although I rate Davis better than both of him and Samatta. 

Saying that, I think Smith will be sure to get two striker instead of one. But it's about quality not quantity.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Ypu need to get with the times mate. 18m is mot that much these days for a striker.

When joelinton went for 40m and wes 22m 18m is not bad at all!

It is for an unproven one,  good return this season but Hogan also had a good return once. 

Not against Watkins but wary if we need to make 100 mil stretch a long way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

It is for an unproven one,  good return this season but Hogan also had a good return once. 

It's not only about goals, for example, Trez numbers are great, but as a players he's too limited.

Hogan showed that he could score goals at the championship, we didn't prefer him because we got other options and we needed more quality (Grabban, Tammy, Kodjia). He's still score many for ****.

If Watkins has strength, and hold up the play well, and score. Then that's what we need. If we only need a poacher I think Samatta would have done a job, but it seems thats it's not in our system.

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Would be a cracking signing though it is a bit harsh on Brentford that they will have to sell players after losing on Tuesday. That's modern football for you.

They’re used to it. It’s the very model that’s made them a success. They buy unproven players, prove them and sell them on for a profit. They’re not sentimental about losing a player as they all understand that’s what bankrolls them. Well, that and Matthew Benham 😉

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It's not only about goals, for example, Trez numbers are great, but as a players he's too limited.

Hogan showed that he could score goals at the championship, we didn't prefer him because we got other options and we needed more quality (Grabban, Tammy, Kodjia). He's still score many for ****.

If Watkins has strength, and hold up the play well, and score. Then that's what we need. If we only need a poacher I think Samatta would have done a job, but it seems thats it's not in our system.

always thought grabban did a very good job for us. and Watkins looks a similar, potentially better,  player.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

tammy abraham in the championship 2 seasons ago: 26 goals in 40 apps

ollie watkins last season: 26 goals in 48

so same goals with just a few less apps by tammy. it's an absolute no brainer. if tammy was available for 18m last summer we'd have bitten their hand off. i'm amazed people aren't keen

he was poor in the playoff final, but so was tammy if you remember

And none of his goals were penalties. Abraham had 5.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so same goals with just a few less apps by tammy. it's an absolute no brainer. if tammy was available for 18m last summer we'd have bitten their hand off. i'm amazed people aren't keen

Tammy was 21 at the time, Watkins is 2 years older. Not that he old by any stretch turning 25 in a few months but 2 years is quite a lot at that stage of the career.

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

That would be fine if we had somebody who could score goals.  We can’t go into the season without somebody who plays really as the lone striker whose not a goal scorer as well as the attributes they have or have not, we don’t have the luxury to do that.

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Yeah but Watkins isn't available at £18m like previously thought.

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

because it’s not that simple...we’ve had McCormack, Kodjia and Hogan who’ve had similar stats in the championship but haven’t made it in the Premiership.  

So it’s not a no brainer, it’s risky and to have another project player with all the others we have.  We need to step up and for such a key position, for the outlay, for the next 5 years I’d rather spend extra and get somebody better.

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah but Watkins isn't available at £18m like previously thought.

Isn't he? I thought he had a release clause?

Edited by Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Isn't he? I thought he had a release clause?

apparently not will cost 25m. i personally still think he's worth a go. he has the right attributes

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

because it’s not that simple...we’ve had McCormack, Kodjia and Hogan who’ve had similar stats in the championship but haven’t made it in the Premiership.  

So it’s not a no brainer, it’s risky and to have another project player with all the others we have.  We need to step up and for such a key position, for the outlay, for the next 5 years I’d rather spend extra and get somebody better.

neither hogan nor mccormack played for us in the prem. and kodj barely played due to a fall out with smith. what would you suggest? splash 40m on a big name that's also unproven in the prem? we're not getting anyone from a prem rival that's worth having

6 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Very genuine question. I’m seeing 100 million spoke about frequently in here. Have the club come out and said that’s what we will be spending? 
I genuinely think we will spend more what with FFP more relaxed this season. It’s an opportunity to get up the ladder without being punished. If spent well of course.

1 minute ago, Killeen30 said:

Very genuine question. I’m seeing 100 million spoke about frequently in here. Have the club come out and said that’s what we will be spending? 
I genuinely think we will spend more what with FFP more relaxed this season. It’s an opportunity to get up the ladder without being punished. If spent well of course.

the club would never release figures. it's just media speculation. what we spend i guess depends on whether jack leaves or not

i can see us getting both watkins and benrahma for combined £50m and probably another full back + another striker so 100m is probably not too far away from what we'll spend

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Not sure if it's become a running joke that he hasn't got one but I'll repost this anyway...

Ha I wasn't joking. I haven't been following it that closely. Cheers

• Like 1

Â