Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

41 minutes ago, useless said:

For those saying he only scores tap ins, here's a video compilation from almost a year ago so features goals from when he was playing as a 'winger' cutting in from the left when Smith was their manager, as you can see he's capable of scoring all sorts...

Seems he can actually bang them in with both feet equally as well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So let me get this straight: a few hours ago Watkins was looking likely and now Percy was wrong?

I can't get my head around this!

Basically they don’t have a clue!  Smith and co have probably been looking at 100’s of strikers and somebody sees somebody or hears a small part of a conversation and puts 2 + 2 totally and gets a pineapple, so writes about it.  Smith probably does like Watkins but to buy might not be the case.  He should be looking at a different standard to last summer or at least we hope so.

• Like 1

Again I’m looking at the top scorers in the premier league last season and in not seeing any obscure great value for money signings. They are either youth players, very expensive players, or players that had to make it in lower leagues to get their chance. 

edit: Who are these better value for money strikers out there?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well a quick trip to Twitter and fans of quite a few Premier league clubs are all suggesting their club signs him, but it appears that our fans dont rate him highly enough

Head over to the Facebook fan pages if you really want to bang your head in a brick wall.

They are waiting for us to sign an expensive flop.

They will be the same ones asking " Why don't we ever sign these gems'? lol

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Watkins used to play second fiddle to Maupay. Is Maupay that brilliant? Not really. He has done ok. Is his understudy going to do better? Unlikely.......Next

Not at all. He played out wide while Maupay was the main striker. Dean Smith talked about it last night. It was part of Watkins’ development and the plan was that he would end up being a centre forward. Watkins and Maupay were at different stages in their career at the time and they are very different players. 

22 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So let me get this straight: a few hours ago Watkins was looking likely and now Percy was wrong?

I can't get my head around this!

Percy said Villa were prepared to trigger the release clause. That is a million miles from being a done deal. 

9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well a quick trip to Twitter and fans of quite a few Premier league clubs are all suggesting their club signs him, but it appears that our fans dont rate him highly enough

It's because they're all expecting some crazy big name signing like Abraham or Belotti or something. Ollie Watkins suddenly doesn't sound so appealing anymore.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't normally write players off. I haven't with Wes either. There's a small chance he can develop drastically and become decent, so I don't see the point in selling him unless we recouped our money. Ideally we can just loan him out to the championship, but we aren't quite there yet. 

I have no agendas or feeling towards him in any way other than an opinion of his usefulness to avfc based on his performances. I'd say I'm as neutral as it gets on this.

Other than that, if he develops it's great. If he starts performing, great.

Wesley started playing competitively at 16. He has only had 6 years of coaching to develop I to the player he is today. For reference jack has had 20 years of coaching and Keinan will have had 14 or 15. In other words he has had twice as long being coaches yet is still half the player wesley is. Wesley will not reach his technical prime until his late 20 or early 30s unlike many players who reach it at around 25 or 26. He has more potential to be a world class player than anyone we have other jack and Luiz. And when he is at his peak he will likely be a 15 and 10 player in the prem. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

It's because they're all expecting some crazy big name signing like Abraham or Belotti or something. Ollie Watkins suddenly doesn't sound so appealing anymore.

Nah, people just don’t rate him to be our main striker that would lead us to mid table next season.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm starting to get the feeling people are expecting us to sign some absolute world class superstars and are going to be extremely disappointed come the end of the window. 

Literally no one expects this. What we do expect is better players than what we have, who barely managed to keep us up last season. I am not sure Watkins is in that category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Abraham is hardly a crazy big name signing. He is certainly at the level we should be expecting to sign, and if we do not get a couple of players at that level, we can most assuredly kiss Grealish goodbye..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

For reference jack has had 20 years of coaching and Keinan will have had 14 or 15. 

? Kienan Davis? Who had 1 year with stevenage then was realised and played for Biggleswade before villa signed him as a youth ? Try 6 years max.

So do the posters who aren't in favour of signing Watkins think we will be spending less than £100 million, £100 million or more.

What if we only have £60 million? Or more than the rumoured amount.

We need better players and he can play anywhere across the front 3. We don't know if Tammy wants to come or even.if Chelsea want to sell, like why's for the guy at Celtic.

Where are our Brentford friends who usually come on here and say what a top player it is, that Brentford will only sell at their price and praises the Brentford model? 🙂 I miss you!

edit: sorry to see you lose yesterday, we know how it feels from two years ago. Now you have the experience of the play offs and will hopefully go up next year! (also - give us Benrahma! Watkins I'm not sure of yet)

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How good does a striker have to be to lead us to mid table? Let's look at the midtable teams and their strikers, starting from Sheffield United:

9. Sheffield United - Ollie McBurnie, David McGoldrick, Billy Sharp

10. Burnley - Chris Wood, Jay Rodriguez, Matej Vydra

11. Southampton - Danny Ings, Che Adams, Michael Obafemi

12. Everton - Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison

13. Newcastle - Joelinton, Dwight Gayle, Andy Carroll

14. Crystal Palace - Jordan Ayew, Christian Benteke, Connor Wickham

15. Brighton - Neal Maupay, Aaron Connolly, Glenn Murray

How many of that lot are significantly better than him? Quite a few if not most of these players were playing Championship football not too long ago. I would go as far as say he's the type of signing midtable teams have been making in the past couple of years. 

Obviously it'll be an effing treat if we do, but I'd be very surprised if we sign a striker and right winger both better than him.

Fingers crossed.

Â