Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He really was excellent.

Such an annoyance to play against.

I can say with no doubt he'll be winning nothing long balls against Gomez and van Dijk as well.

Did everything but score, fantastic signing, surprised by how physically strong he is too, when he fully gets used to his team mates he will be an absolute beast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ultimately he will be judged on goals and as long as he continues to play how he has the last two games the goals will come. 

Shouldn't really be the case though if we are scoring three away from home and he is at the centre of it.

If he does a Firmino for us, no one will complain. Think he will score plenty though, just could do without people moaning if he doesn't score for a couple more games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Shouldn't really be the case though if we are scoring three away from home and he is at the centre of it.

If he does a Firmino for us, no one will complain. Think he will score plenty though, just could do without people moaning if he doesn't score for a couple more games.

I agree it shouldn’t be the case but we have quite a few stattos about. Seem to ignore what they see and judge the player on the stats instead. 

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Anybody else notice him interchanging with Trezeguet at times last night with Ollie occupying the left and Trezeguet in the middle?

Yeah.

Will work even better with Watkins, grealish and traore.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah.

Will work even better with Watkins, grealish and traore.

Trez had a really good run cutting in from the left.  Shows how badly we needed that inverted winger option on the right. GWT™ is going to unlock a whole new level of attack for us.  

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i genuinely think he'll be one of the most complete forwards ever to wear the villa shirt. and i'm not exaggerating there.

I think Wesley and Samatta has put the bar really low.

That being said this guy looks like a proper striker.

I really like him, he has added a dimension to our front running.

I also found it interesting listening to Jamie Carragher, talking about Firmino and highlighting his lack of goals, but still keeps his place due to his workrate and pressing and other attributes other than scoring.

We are all sometimes pre-occupied by strikers scoring and that is understandable and helpful.....but as long as the team is scoring, we've cracked it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I also found it interesting listening to Jamie Carragher, talking about Firmino and highlighting his lack of goals, but still keeps his place due to his workrate and pressing and other attributes other than scoring.

We are all sometimes pre-occupied by strikers scoring and that is understandable and helpful.....but as long as the team is scoring, we've cracked it.

This is why I think the term "striker" should be retired. It implies emphasis on goalscoring, but a well rounded centre forward offers so much more than that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

4 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

This is why I think the term "striker" should be retired. It implies emphasis on goalscoring, but a well rounded centre forward offers so much more than that.

Really with a modern front 3, as long as all of them have some contribution to goals, general play, channel running, pressing etc, you have cracked it.

I reckon watkins, grealish and traore will end up being a very good front 3 for us this season.

(I hope)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

Indeed, alot of the top teams no longer have a "striker " IMO.

Goal come from all over the pitch, mostly from wingers and attacking midfielders etc.

It's more of a forward line all playing their parts more than anything.

EDIT: Just realised  @MaVillabasically said the same thing above.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Really with a modern front 3, as long as all of them have some contribution to goals, general play, channel running, pressing etc, you have cracked it.

I reckon watkins, grealish and traore will end up being a very good front 3 for us this season.

(I hope)

Its crucial the 2 wide players also defend too when it’s required. Full backs have been supported much better by our wide players since lockdown.

3 hours ago, Greenfly said:

So people have just woken up to Heskey being a good player 

Â