Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 minutes ago, Adman said:

I get frustrated with Ollie, but on reflection how many chances were created for him today?  From memory the only chances he had were from him harrying and harassing the defence which I'm not sure ings would have created for himself. He was pretty much on his own up too the whole game

That’s usually what our attacks look like when we play the top teams, we don’t have the composure to build from deep so it’s mostly long balls or Watkins picking up on a defensive mistake.

Crazy talk sell him lol who scored double figures last 2 seasons the next best striker Ings his missed heap of sitters hasn't worked .Still 26 will get better least of our issues get a striker that's quality to push him to get better.

Edited by ozvilla28
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I hate myself for saying it, but I kind of agree that we need to start selling players at the top of their value. If someone comes in for Watkins with a £40+m offer, then we probably need to look at it. 

He’s not a bad player. Not by any stretch, but so many of our moves breakdown when they reach him and his finishing is average at best tbh. 

Im honestly not sure whether we should sell him or not, I just don’t know if he’s good enough for where we want to be. Work rate, energy and pace aside, he’s really not got a lot else?

Agree that we need to start selling players when we can make serious profit.

Look at Konsa last year compared to this. There were rumblings in Jan that teams were interested in Konsa and at the time we could have easily asked for 50-60 and it wouldn’t have seemed outrageous. Instead we offer a new big deal to him and his form and value goes down the shit pot. There are thousands of professional footballers out there, we’ve got more scouts and statisticians and TheAthletic subscribers in the club than we’ve ever had, we can replace players.

Sell him...  Imagine if Gabby had work ethic...  Strong, fast, runs a lot, but can't finish and lacks a football brain.  Sums up Watkins for me.  40 million+ and take it.

Edited by KMitch
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Look at Konsa last year compared to this. There were rumblings in Jan that teams were interested in Konsa and at the time we could have easily asked for 50-60 and it wouldn’t have seemed outrageous. Instead we offer a new big deal to him and his form and value goes down the shit pot. There are thousands of professional footballers out there, we’ve got more scouts and statisticians and TheAthletic subscribers in the club than we’ve ever had, we can replace players.

The problem is knowing in advance that someone’s form will fall off a cliff. Konsa’s decline was hard to predict imo.

1 hour ago, MrSmirch said:

That depends if they're good enough to take us to the next level or not. Watkins I don't believe is, his game has and always has had too many limitations.

Konsa has shown his class. He's experiencing a dip in form but no way should we be considering selling him.

Wouldn't be bothered one bit if he moved in the summer, I think we've got the best we'll ever get out of him last season. Hate watching him run a defenders just know where it's going to end up.

• Like 2

If West Ham are willing to drop 45M+ on him, sell him. He'll probably score some goals there because he's a good fit for Moyesball, but if we have aspirations of being more of a progressive, technical footballing side, he's never really going to work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

spacer.png

yep, watkins needs his bollocks tickled in order to find the form that he had last year

got no problem with gerrard trying to man manage him, for some reason a lot on here do have a problem with him, i dont get it, he has no confidence so im sure berating him at every opportunity is really helpful

lets just sell him and buy a new £60m striker instead, when he has a dry patch we'll rinse and repeat and call him shit too

• Like 1

I love Watkins, he brings hustle and hard work, but his technique is his biggest failing, he's got a heavy touch and his movements are quite predictable when around the 18 yard box. 

The one thing I really don't like is his sullen face when he's bought off.  I don't want my players to be happy to get subbed, but looking like a mardy teenager is cringeworthy, and often he hasn't done enough in-game to warrant NOT trying to change things up - If he fancies himself as this "killer striker", he's got to start playing like one, not just talking a good game.  Yesterday he should have had at least one goal to his name, probably two. 

I think he's towards the top of his ceiling, but I do still like him.

He has room to improve.

2nd season in the top flight didn't go as well as the first, but he didn't have jack feeding him this year.

Can be very frustrating to watch at times however he is an intelligent lad and I would expect preseason for him to have polished what is expected of him in regards movement and knowing who he will be playing with.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2022 at 23:04, nick76 said:

Gerrard seems to love all the players if you go through his interviews.  Are we going to sell anybody or we just going bloat our squad bigger than the 25 allowed.  It just concerns me because some of these players like Ollie arguably aren’t going to take us to the next level.  

Reports suggest we are looking for another striker, so with him loving Ollie, him loving Ings and supposedly he’s about to get an extension as well, we have Archer so where does another striker fit?

If we make a better fist of the cups and a better fist of challenging for Europe......more game time will be afforded to the squad.

A strong Squad should equal any player, playing a first team game with authority......not just a stop gap.

Our mentality has to move away from the first 11 and progress to the squad.

In the past, squad players meant, sub standard, that has to change and competition for the shirt has to be name of the game.

The mentality of this squad has to be more robust, and these brain farts in losing leads has to be rooted out.....The hard edge to the game needs to come in, competition will help to do that.

Players need to be on their toes, not on their heels.

For me ollie isnt going to take u next level.  We need a stop striker now. Im sick to death of him doing all the hard work for him through on goal for him to either a) slip over b) have a crap heavy touch and lose the ball c) hit it straight at the player.

Just not good enough if you want higher ambitions than 11th

• Like 2

Watkin's won't be sitting on the bench if we sign a new striker, he'll most likely wanna go.

One thing he ain't @brummybloke is intelligent. Okay he's certainly not a thicko, but when you have a player like Coutinho in the team, you need to learn what he's doing and learn fast, Watkin's hasn't. 

Â