Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

32 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I got slated on here last season when I had doubts about him. Now everyone is seeing them.

I see where you're coming from—I kind of think Watkins is exactly the same this season as he was last season. The things people complain about he was doing last year too.

Personally, I think he's a very good player who does a lot more for us than some give him credit for in a difficult position, but he does have a few traits that you could pick on and wonder if he could work on them.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Just airing some thoughts in response to criticism levelled at Ollie and comments saying the coaching staff need to rectify his play.

I wonder if Watkins head down and shoot at will approach is something asked of him by the coaching staff.

Watkins has quite good ability on the ball and making attacking runs carrying the ball toward goal. He's strong and not easily knocked off it, and is also fairly composed in those moments. He can shoot the thing too.

While his goals have mostly come from great runs and being well placed to finish when the ball is delivered into the box, the assets I've mentioned above make me think that he might have been encouraged to do more of it, and to take on a greater role and influence now we've lost Grealish.

If you remember last season, Ollie was often involved in passing sequences and build up play, mostly with Grealish, there was obviously a respect and chemistry there. But I thought he generally opted for an intelligent pass, to then make a threatening run for a give and go.

Obviously I don't know but what I do know is that it's certainly not always an individual decision of the player as to how he goes about his approach. 

Gonna post this now as hopefully it means he will win us the game and I’ll look like a clearing in the woods, but he really boils my piss. So greedy, a horrific finisher and wastes 90% of our chances. Hitting the bar, being offside, chances bouncing off of him is not “unlucky”, it is being poor at finishing. He is costing us games and I’m sick and tired of watching him right now. Needs to be dropped as soon as we are able to. He needs to really sharpen up or be shipped out. Running around a lot is not enough. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Gonna post this now as hopefully it means he will win us the game and I’ll look like a clearing in the woods, but he really boils my piss. So greedy, a horrific finisher and wastes 90% of our chances. Hitting the bar, being offside, chances bouncing off of him is not “unlucky”, it is being poor at finishing. He is costing us games and I’m sick and tired of watching him right now. Needs to be dropped as soon as we are able to. He needs to really sharpen up or be shipped out. Running around a lot is not enough. 

Can be frustrating and his inability to not want to play with Ings adds to the wind up. For some reason (probably the no prisoners attitude Gerrard has brought), quite a few of our players look to be walking a tight rope.

Watkins has much to offer though, but as with every other position, an upgrade would improve us!

Just now, villa4europe said:

So a guy heading a ball off his upper thigh from 3 yards away and him not having the speed to react to it is poor finishing? 

You ever played football? 

It isn’t just the game. He is “unlucky” every bloody game by being offside, or hitting the bar, or not quite catching the ball right or not quite being in the right position. He is costing us a lot of goals. 

14 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Gonna post this now as hopefully it means he will win us the game and I’ll look like a clearing in the woods, but he really boils my piss. 

Yes. There is no chance, zero chance, no chance that he will score the winner tonight. No way will Watkins score the winner tonight.

🤞

Why wont he pass the ball to Ings, last season I used to get wound up and Barkley for not doing the same to Watkins and now he is doing similar.

One of the things I wouldnt have described before was a selfish player but that has changed

1 minute ago, Enda said:

Yes. There is no chance, zero chance, no chance that he will score the winner tonight. No way will Watkins score the winner tonight.

🤞

Just to be clear. Are you saying no chance whatsoever?

Said in the match thread I think that chance that he the bar from I seriously think he is the best striker in the league for that, yes it was a shit touch from the defender but the effort to get there, turn inside and then the strength to hold him off is brilliant play

He's nowhere near the ball when that touch is taken yet still gets there first 

Â