Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Work rate is 100%, his movement is great. But always needs to take a touch in the build up, and has missed enough chances this season for us to at least be able to question him. With Coutinho here we are almost certainly going back to playing one of him or Ings. I’d give Ings a run personally.

I thought him and Buendia linked up nicely. 

If we’re going to play one of Ings or Watkins, I think Watkins possibly shades it due to his pace and his engine.

Its such a tough call. One thing I will say is, Watkins has been poor lately so it’s great to see him play well tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Tricky decision to make on Saturday whether to play Watkins or Ings.   

Both have different positive points, very hard to pick the best player.

I think he’ll name an unchanged team, Coutinho has barely played recently, he’ll come on as a sub. 
Unless we’ve signed Digne by then in which case, he’ll go straight in.

• Like 1

Gerrard likes Ollie. He said before game yesterday that he had probably been our best player since he had been manager. He is so key to what we do that it’s difficult not to see him starting, if fit. He’s never gonna be a great finisher but his other attributes make him a certain starter. Buying a centre forward with all of Ollie’s strengths, who is a good finisher and has greater vision would cost Grealish type money.

Ollie edges it on work rate despite his poor form in front of goal. Hes lacking in confidence and a bit of composur on that front as is Ings is I suspect. They will both improve I have no doubt. I think we can get our revenge on Saturday! 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I dont know whats happening with ollies finishing but that one when he hit the bar, he needs to score that.

He misses alot of opportunities for me and its frustrating 

It wasnt as easy as it looked. He did unbelievable to make that into a chance on the first place and he was stretching for the ball when he got the shot in. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It wasnt as easy as it looked. He did unbelievable to make that into a chance on the first place and he was stretching for the ball when he got the shot in. 

Thats what frustrates me Paul! He does excellently to get in that position and the finish  could be better.

Last season he buries that

Edited by Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats what frustrates me poor! He does excellently to get in that position and the finish  could be better.

Last season he buries that

He missed a lot last season as well to be fair. I think one game it may have been Palace Grealish kept setting it upi for him and he kept missing 

Just now, PaulC said:

He missed a lot last season as well to be fair. I think one game it may have been Palace Grealish kept setting it upi for him and he kept missing 

When he obliterated liverpool at home i thought wow this guys a top top finisher.  But this version of ollie, is nowhere near that standard.

Ings for me is the better finisher but watkins has more to his game.

• Like 1

I said I would particularly watch him last night to see if my views on him were relevant. He didn't seem to have a bad game, but noticed he stands around alot after a pass instead of running in the box, also noticed he seems to hate a tackle, always pulls out (enter Kenneth gif here) and his hold up play has mostly disappeared, something that was a huge part of his game last season. It just seems he's gone a bit soft, fatherhood maybe.

Â