villaglint

43 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Isn't this the Bielsa disciple that rejected Leeds.

Played for Bielsa at Bilbao but had a long playing career with many managers.  And yes he had the sense to turn Leeds down. 

That is a brave and progressive appointment. I get the sense as a club Bournemouth know what they are doing. 

They've made some smart signings recently and are developing a good core of talented young players.

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

stuff on twitter saying that they sacked him because there is a video of his shagging a melon 😂

I hope it comes out that that's true and that he grooms the waste bin out the back of his local Kwik Save.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz

• 3 months later...

Sacking O'Neil was a big big error. 0 wins from 8. Had a tough start with teams they've played but losing 3-0 at Everton hints at where they're going.

They also seem to sign endless players who never ever start for them so I'd love to see a good YT video explaining their transfer approach if any is knocking around?

For example they've had Sinisteirra for over a month and he was playing for Leeds earlier this season so can't be to do with match fitness? Tyler Adams and Alex Scott still nowhere to be seen either in matchday squad.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Sacking O'Neil was a big big error. 0 wins from 8. Had a tough start with teams they've played but losing 3-0 at Everton hints at where they're going.

They also seem to sign endless players who never ever start for them so I'd love to see a good YT video explaining their transfer approach if any is knocking around?

For example they've had Sinisteirra for over a month and he was playing for Leeds earlier this season so can't be to do with match fitness? Tyler Adams and Alex Scott still nowhere to be seen either in matchday squad.

Adams is out injured until the New Year I think? 

They do however have just masses of wide attackers: Brooks, Tavernier, Kluivert, Semenyo, Sinisterra, Ouattara (remember him?) and I don't think they need this many or seem to have a particular strategy for when to play different ones. Some of the money that went into assembling that might usefully have gone on better defenders IMO. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2023 at 16:48, HongKongVillan said:

Yup quietly going down

17 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Quietly becoming a decent side. Iraola is a good manager

Make yer mind up!

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He seems to have found a more settled side in the forward positions, which helps. 

Start of the season I was bemused they weren't starting Justin Kluivert, he gets a run of starts and suddenly they have a threat either side of Solanke as Semenyo was getting benched early weeks also.

Have to say I really like Tavernier aswell. He works hard getting up and down the right and chips in with goals so while he probably isn't quite good enough for where we are going I could certainly see him at a West Ham or Palace in a year or two as he's only 24.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Start of the season I was bemused they weren't starting Justin Kluivert, he gets a run of starts and suddenly they have a threat either side of Solanke as Semenyo was getting benched early weeks also.

Have to say I really like Tavernier aswell. He works hard getting up and down the right and chips in with goals so while he probably isn't quite good enough for where we are going I could certainly see him at a West Ham or Palace in a year or two as he's only 24.

I very much agree, especially with regards to Tavernier, but I'd almost say the actual personnel matters somewhat less than the consistency in selection. You could see the benefit yesterday, that all their front 4 are right on the same wavelength, know where to find each other etc. I think we may have discussed this before, but they just have too many attacking midfielders; they've got Brooks, Sinisterra, Ouattara all sitting on the bench, plus Philip Billing who can play deeper but they often played in those roles before, and they just don't need them all. They'd be better off offloading 2 of them in January and reinvesting elsewhere like fullback, where somehow Adam Smith is still starting games.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I very much agree, especially with regards to Tavernier, but I'd almost say the actual personnel matters somewhat less than the consistency in selection. You could see the benefit yesterday, that all their front 4 are right on the same wavelength, know where to find each other etc. I think we may have discussed this before, but they just have too many attacking midfielders; they've got Brooks, Sinisterra, Ouattara all sitting on the bench, plus Philip Billing who can play deeper but they often played in those roles before, and they just don't need them all. They'd be better off offloading 2 of them in January and reinvesting elsewhere like fullback, where somehow Adam Smith is still starting games.

Max Aarons is injured otherwise he'd be their first choice RB.

That was the thing for me, they signed all these "on paper" decent signings and yet Iraola just benched them all and was seemingly trying to get the regulars under Gary O'Neil attempting to play more pressing football.

Against Wolves just six weeks back when they lost late and Iraola was arguably a game from the sack it's incredible to see Semenyo and Kluivert were both unusued subs given how decent they both were yesterday:

Bournemouth 1-2 Wolves: Wolves score late winner against 10-man Cherries - BBC Sport

• Like 1

Â