villaglint

I wouldn't get carried away with Bournemouth or Iraola just because they've had a few good results, even struggling teams tend to go on little runs like this once or twice a season, on the whole I think they will still struggle. How bad the three promoted teams are, and Everton's point deduction might see to it that they survive, but in a normal season they would be serious contenders for relegation, and can't be completely ruled out for this season.

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

We unfortunately didn't play them at the start of the season as they were getting used to the playing style. However you can say we got lucky to face a depleted Spurs and faced Everton before they found their form. 

Played Chelsea at the right time too

6 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

We unfortunately didn't play them at the start of the season as they were getting used to the playing style. However you can say we got lucky to face a depleted Spurs and faced Everton before they found their form. 

We have Everton's number so don't think it really matters what time of the season we play them.

Disallowing their fourth goal today looked way harsh to me, didn't look intentional at all. Their next three games are Luton, Forest and Fulham, in theory looks a good chance for them to continue their good form

On 09/12/2023 at 21:00, useless said:

Disallowing their fourth goal today looked way harsh to me, didn't look intentional at all. Their next three games are Luton, Forest and Fulham, in theory looks a good chance for them to continue their good form

Allowing Bournemouth's 4th would have been against the rules of the game. I thought it was increasing common knowledge that all handling, intentionally or not, by the goalscorer is a foul.

Bournemouth are having a good spell at the moment, but I don't think it's enough to get carried away with how good Iraola is, their good form has been just seven games, no one was raving about him previous to that when they went nine games without a win, need to see how he does with them over a longer period time, one of the things that makes me doubt him reader is that Leeds wanted him last season and their recruitment other than Bielsa and a few players had been pretty awful over the last two or three years previous to this one, it's somewhat irrational perhaps, but just that association gives me pause for thought.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Bournemouth are having a good spell at the moment, but I don't think it's enough to get carried away with how good Iraola is, their good form has been just seven games, no one was raving about him previous to that when they went nine games without a win, need to see how he does with them over a longer period time, one of the things that makes me doubt him reader is that Leeds wanted him last season and their recruitment other than Bielsa and a few players had been pretty awful over the last two or three years previous to this one, it's somewhat irrational perhaps, but just that association gives me pause for thought.

He did a very good job at Rayo before this

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why would you even think that Emery is leaving anytime soon?

I dont particularly, but despite evidence to the contrary Emery isn't immortal - he's either going to die in service, be sacked, retire, or go to another club.

I was merely mooting Iraola as a potential replacement if he continues the work he's done at Vallecano and now seemingly Bournemouth.

Emery is clearly the kind of coach who keeps his eye on younger coaches and what they're doing, and Id suspect he's the kind of man who would have told the club about what they should look for when the inevitable happens - however far away that is.

Iraola is obviously a good coach, plays nice football, and he's Basque - I'd imagine he's probably very intrigued by him.

Edited by StewieGriffin
Corrected a spelling mistake

On 12/12/2023 at 02:06, Kiwivillan said:

Why would you even think that Emery is leaving anytime soon?

Villa Park is a managerial graveyard. How many have lasted past 3 years in the last 30 or so years? 

I pray Emery will break the run, he's certainly the best manager we've ever appointed, but to quote Harvey Dent - "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain”

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Villa Park is a managerial graveyard. How many have lasted past 3 years in the last 30 or so years? 

I pray Emery will break the run, he's certainly the best manager we've ever appointed, but to quote Harvey Dent - "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain”

Emery is already a Villan 😉

On 04/12/2023 at 17:03, useless said:

I wouldn't get carried away with Bournemouth or Iraola just because they've had a few good results, even struggling teams tend to go on little runs like this once or twice a season, on the whole I think they will still struggle. How bad the three promoted teams are, and Everton's point deduction might see to it that they survive, but in a normal season they would be serious contenders for relegation, and can't be completely ruled out for this season.

I would be curious to see how many teams have ever had a 13 point haul from 5 games and gone down that season.

• 2 weeks later...
Â