Johan Lange

hippo

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not fussed particularly.

The tales of of recruitment plans and policies, things rarely lined up with the reality. From Konsa right up to Pau, it's been far too much whoever the manager fancies.

That's not how well run clubs do things. For every success of a Konsa, you'll get the bust of a Coutinho.

Suppose as always, the risk is he takes some of our better backroom lot with him. That Fredrik lad will probably go.

I don't think it'll be too difficult for Monchi to be better than him.

Is that how you see our transfers under him? Equal measure good signing and bad signing?

5 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Is that how you see our transfers under him? Equal measure good signing and bad signing?

The issue is more...you're limiting yourself massively if the pool you're looking in is players who have previously played with your manager.

His success rate of senior signings was very poor, in my opinion. He might well have done some good work behind the scenes, but a huge amount of money was wasted during his tenure, and the two most successful signings of his spell were Martinez and Watkins - insisted upon by Smith and Cutler. 

The fact he was desperate to spend £25m on Sarr last August, on top of the £13m spent on Dendoncker sums his talent spotting up to me. 

Best of luck, Johan, I hope you carry on in the same way for Tottenham. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich192 said:

His success rate of senior signings was very poor, in my opinion. He might well have done some good work behind the scenes, but a huge amount of money was wasted during his tenure, and the two most successful signings of his spell were Martinez and Watkins - insisted upon by Smith and Cutler. 

The fact he was desperate to spend £25m on Sarr last August, on top of the £13m spent on Dendoncker sums his talent spotting up to me. 

Best of luck, Johan, I hope you carry on in the same way for Tottenham. 

I agree rich. I think alot of this summers business was more emery than lange

He’s no real loss to the club at this point as he had already been moved into a marginal role to make way for Monchi. Based on the timing presumably he has been looking for a new role since Monchi arrived and replaced him. Good luck to him.

Undermined by Purslow and Gerrard if we are totally honest then by the owners clearly closing the purse strings and letting Gerrard hang himself.

Who **** knows how good he was tbfh the recruitment policy the past few years has been a shambles, only bailed out by Emery's genius.

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Has it? That seems like quite a harsh summary. Someone was waving around some stat the other day that we have more players who've increased in value since we bought them than any club other than Brighton or something. I mean how many major failures have there been since the first summer, when we primarily needed to pack the squad? Ings, Sanson, maybe Olsen, not a ton IMO. No club gets every transfer right. 

Coutinho is the big one for me. Bigger flop than Olsen for example

I would say that the increase in player value along with what they actually do on the pitch of a number of players we’ve bought more than makes up for any dud signing.

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Moreno, Luiz, Kamara, Watkins. That’s about £130m spend there. 

Go through the list and try and put a value of what you would be willing to sell them for. I’m willing to wager by the time you’ve reached Mings’ name you’ve already exceeded £130m in valuations, now add what you think the big hitters of Luiz, Kamara and Watkins are worth in the market. Lot of money, isn’t it?

Players like Torres and Diaby may well increase in value. My hope/belief is Carlos will continue to overcome his setback prove to meet his price tag. 

People like to point to Ings, Buendia and Bailey. Well, while the money could have been better spent, these players made enough of a contribution in getting us back into Europe, so they can’t have been that bad. Their various FFP values are probably on par. Some might sell Buendia for £15m, ok, bring me a better option for that value once you do.

There’s been a few significant wastes of money, but nothing that stands out when compared to the excesses of the league as a whole.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Coutinho is the big one for me. Bigger flop than Olsen for example

I think it's hard to put the blame for that one on Lange though, that's got to be looked at as a "back the manager" signing.

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Did Lange scout Duran? That certainly wasn't an Unai signing and Gerrard was also long gone so you never know. Football works in funny ways and if he's scoring 20 + for us in 2-3 seasons that could be Lange's legacy.

Certainly saw one big Villa poster (can't remember who) describing Duran as Lange's 'parting gift' this morning, so that idea is out there anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's hard to put the blame for that one on Lange though, that's got to be looked at as a "back the manager" signing.

38 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Wrong thread mate.

I doubt Lange had much of a say in what was a vanity signing by one guy for his pal.

Oh yeah I know who signed him. Was more the quote we haven't had many flops in recent seasons

Mixed bag for me with lange 

Some good some shit

I mean he probably had a hand in getting kamara on a  free so has to be credited for that. 

I mean lange came the window after samanogoal and stinkwater so he did a better job than suso tbf to him. 

Â