Johan Lange

hippo

On 05/10/2023 at 18:12, Demitri_C said:

I think in all honesty they can have him. He comes across as shy and awkward to me when he talks in public 

Hasnt brought any Gems from Scandinavia like i expected

What are you on about man.you 

16 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I know this isn't the topic for today, I am massively relieved and happy he's signed, I've got nothing to add to the discussion that others haven't mentioned already. 

Just wanted to pick up on this though, with the benefit of hindsight, what a window that was. 4 major signings that summer in Cash, Martinez, Watkins and Traore that are all still part of the squad to this day and all have starting XI shirt numbers. I know Lange gets critisicm levelled at him but that's the kind of window I'd be buzzing about if I saw Monchi had brought those players in at a previous club. 

Crazy to think he's been here just over 3 years, feels part of the furniture already, can't believe there was a time we weren't playing him up top. 

Just quoting this as I wrote it in the Watkins thread without seeing Lange on the front page.

I do find it odd how murky the waters are at Villa with signings. There's a real case against Purslow and Lange for years now where a section of the fanbase think they do nothing right, every poor decision seems aimed their way (Gerrard hiring, anything corporate that's unpopular, some signings and club structure - Purslow)

That first window, we'd only just survived in the league and had broadly a championship squad with championship players, plus Grealish head and shoulders above and Mings and McGinn clearly good enough for the level. Ramsey only just coming through and Konsa finding his feet. 

However, we had no striker and no goalkeeper, which for any team is a recipe for relegation despite what's going on elsewhere on the pitch. 

In that window we signed Watkins and Cash from the championship, Martinez essentially before going back to Arsenal's bench, and Traore, with Barkley coming in on loan. 

I think Lange suffers from a other clubs around us in the table also having great windows each season. The two teams above us when we survived were Brighton and West Ham, Brighton bought a load of youngsters including Caicedo, prompted Sanchez from the youth team and got Lallana and Welbeck. West Ham signed Coufal, Soucek, Benrahma, Dawson and Lingard on loan. All three clubs ready to move up the table with those windows and so we don't stand out as a club with our signings. With what he came into and where he leaves though, I think he's done a good job and if he goes good luck to him 

• Like 2

Henry Lansbury was recently on Ben Foster pod cast and spoke a bit about Johan. If you ignore the poor form then Henry comes across as very likeable and professional. He mentions Johan as the one who put him out of the 25 man squad and then made him train with the reserves. Seemingly Johan was pulling a number of these strings over Dean himself. 

None of it surprises me, it's the cut throat nature of football but I often wondered him much power these footballers have and how much they continue to have over the manager. 

30 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Henry Lansbury was recently on Ben Foster pod cast and spoke a bit about Johan. If you ignore the poor form then Henry comes across as very likeable and professional. He mentions Johan as the one who put him out of the 25 man squad and then made him train with the reserves. Seemingly Johan was pulling a number of these strings over Dean himself. 

None of it surprises me, it's the cut throat nature of football but I often wondered him much power these footballers have and how much they continue to have over the manager. 

Seems we learnt sod all from the bomb squad. Bullying people and backing them into a corner will only dig their heals in.

If we spoke to him, and said look we need to come to a solution here you're not going to play let's help you get a move I'm sure something could have been done, instead we bomb him to U23s with no notice and offer him a 25% pay up.

I'm glad Henri took us for a ride.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Seems we learnt sod all from the bomb squad. Bullying people and backing them into a corner will only dig their heals in.

If we spoke to him, and said look we need to come to a solution here you're not going to play let's help you get a move I'm sure something could have been done, instead we bomb him to U23s with no notice and offer him a 25% pay up.

Did that not happen then?

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'm glad Henri took us for a ride.

Won't be the last.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Did that not happen then?

Won't be the last.

Well according to Lansbury he was told he won't be registered for the squad then another morning he came to training on a normal day and Smith said he's not allowed to train with the team and it's come from above. He went to see Lange and Lange gave him a piece of paper to sign with a 25% pay up ( or something like that) under the claim we'd "help him find a club if he signed it"

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Well according to Lansbury he was told he won't be registered for the squad then another morning he came to training on a normal day and Smith said he's not allowed to train with the team and it's come from above. He went to see Lange and Lange gave him a piece of paper to sign with a 25% pay up ( or something like that) under the claim we'd "help him find a club if he signed it"

Lansbury was in the last 8 months of his contract and we didnt have any space for him in the squad. He was by all accounts not in great physical shape because of his injuries

Club did well for him to pay him up and he was able to get 2 clubs after it

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Its a very difficult situation to balance, at some point it looks like we maybe paying Ollie Watkins c150k per week at the age of 32.

Monchi will cut him by then. (And £150k isn’t that much if challenging for the title)

I have no idea of his worth, because I am not privvy to the detail of his job.

The incomings are the only measurement, I can glean from and then, that might be more than one person in the club involved.

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't see that happening with Unai.

Managers have to be strong and not be walked over....To do that, you must have a sound reputation or a winning record at the club you are currently at.....Unai has both.

In management, if you don't make the decision( i.e dither) someone else will.

I think in the main, you make your own power base and good performance consistently, helps you do that.

If Johan goes, I don't envisage much disruption, unless he takes key people from the data analytics team.....we'll have to see.

On 05/10/2023 at 19:12, Demitri_C said:

I think in all honesty they can have him. He comes across as shy and awkward to me when he talks in public 

Hasnt brought any Gems from Scandinavia like i expected 

One of the worst reasons have heard to get rid of somebody, was like the Arsenal idiots criticizing Unai for his accent

As for Scandinavian gems, a little thing called Brexit means they arent easy to find and get work permits

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One of the worst reasons have heard to get rid of somebody, was like the Arsenal idiots criticizing Unai for his accent

As for Scandinavian gems, a little thing called Brexit means they arent easy to find and get work permits

Brexit 😂😂😂😂😂

Yet we signed swedish players in olsen and got aug on loan

Also hasnt stopped othee club's signing players from that part of the world.  

Â