Johan Lange

hippo

Hopefully with the now relaxed rules on work permits. We can see some Scandinavian wonderkids from our Scandinavian data expert.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a Scandinavian team under V Sports.

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Hopefully with the now relaxed rules on work permits. We can see some Scandinavian wonderkids from our Scandinavian data expert.

I've missed this, what's changed?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've missed this, what's changed?

They’ve scrapped the points system for footballers and clubs can sign up to 4 players from Timbuktu if they like. 

edit - 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I have seen a lot of these types of comments, and to me it always seem like people expect it to be easy to find talents in those regions.

Every top club in the world has scouts placed in those leagues every single week. And the scandinavian clubs are not stupid either - they know if they have a player with high potential, and would want to be compensated accordingly. The standard rate for top young players in the Danish league have moved to 10-15m now for example.

Furthermore, I do not know where the idea that Johan Lange is some kind of data expert has come from. That has never been his reputation in Denmark.

18 minutes ago, Muriel said:

I have seen a lot of these types of comments, and to me it always seem like people expect it to be easy to find talents in those regions.

Every top club in the world has scouts placed in those leagues every single week. And the scandinavian clubs are not stupid either - they know if they have a player with high potential, and would want to be compensated accordingly. The standard rate for top young players in the Danish league have moved to 10-15m now for example.

Furthermore, I do not know where the idea that Johan Lange is some kind of data expert has come from. That has never been his reputation in Denmark.

Not necessarily easy to find talent, just that a person from that region should have some advantages due to connections.

Of course all the top clubs will have scouts there, so should we. £10-15m is still relatively cheap for a PL team, we signed Duran for similar. Better than paying £40m for them when they move to Bundesliga or Serie A.

Wasn’t Lange’s time at Copenhagen based on data and finding diamonds in the rough and selling them for profit?

Edited by duke313

12 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Weird wording - between  2 and 4... so 1 isn't  OK?!

Looking this up, in more detail:

Premier League and Championship clubs can sign four overseas youngsters

'Premier League and Sky Bet Championship clubs can now sign up to four promising overseas players who would not get a visa under the points system, after the Home Office approved new rules.

All clubs will be permitted to have two promising foreign players in their squads but that can rise to four if they give enough playing time to English-qualified players.

It follows an FA proposal allowing a limited number of players with “great potential” who would make a “significant contribution” to clubs and leagues — but with an incentive of more places for clubs who give English players more playing time.

Clubs who give English-qualified players 35 per cent or more of playing time can have the four “significant contribution” places, dropping to three for clubs with 30 to 35 per cent. For those with under 30 per cent, it will be two places, and that will also apply to League One and Two clubs.

The average number of England-qualified players in the Premier League over the past five years is 32 per cent, but it was as low as 28 per cent on some match weeks last season.'

more at link: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-and-championship-clubs-can-now-sign-overseas-youngsters-cgkwv7qj5

(The rest of the article does not define 'promising', 'great potential' or 'significant contribution', so I'm not sure whether these have technical definitions or are just unimportant verbiage that doesn't mean anything)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Premier League and Sky Bet Championship clubs can now sign up to four promising overseas players who would not get a visa under the points system, after the Home Office approved new rules.

All clubs will be permitted to have two promising foreign players in their squads but that can rise to four if they give enough playing time to English-qualified players.

It follows an FA proposal allowing a limited number of players with “great potential” who would make a “significant contribution” to clubs and leagues — but with an incentive of more places for clubs who give English players more playing time.

Clubs who give English-qualified players 35 per cent or more of playing time can have the four “significant contribution” places, dropping to three for clubs with 30 to 35 per cent. For those with under 30 per cent, it will be two places, and that will also apply to League One and Two clubs.

The average number of England-qualified players in the Premier League over the past five years is 32 per cent, but it was as low as 28 per cent on some match weeks last season.'

more at link: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-and-championship-clubs-can-now-sign-overseas-youngsters-cgkwv7qj5

(The rest of the article does not define 'promising', 'great potential' or 'significant contribution', so I'm not sure whether these have technical definitions or are just unimportant verbiage that doesn't mean anything)

Is that “young” as in U21 or U18?  Not that it makes a great difference I just was wondering 

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Is that “young” as in U21 or U18?  Not that it makes a great difference I just was wondering 

I think the rule was that you couldnt sign anyone under 18 anymore from Europe.. so we got Bogarde Swinkels and Aaron O Reilly before that rule came into effect. 

So we can sign at least 2 and up to 4  16 and 17 year old players on a yts i guess. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Wish him well when he goes. Hard to judge his time at Villa as the power balance was definitely muddier during his years (with the triangle of Smith/Gerrard, Lange and Purslow). Clearly people within the club highly rated his work with implementing his data-led recruitment structure, but we've moved on to Monchi.

Curious though how arguably none of the team's spine (if you consider it to be Martinez-Konsa-Luiz-Watkins) are Lange signings though (IIRC I read somewhere that Martinez was heavily pushed by Cutler rather than the recruitment team, and Watkins was clearly a Deano connection). If anything, shows how great an eye Deano had for players.

Kamara has been a great signing, though.

Edited by wishywashy
read it over and realised i was making zero sense. blame lack of caffeine
  • Confused 1

On 17/06/2023 at 12:17, villan-scott said:

They’ve scrapped the points system for footballers and clubs can sign up to 4 players from Timbuktu if they like. 

edit - 

What league are they in? Is it Timbuktu Utd ?

On 17/06/2023 at 16:23, HanoiVillan said:

Glad to see the authorities relax the rules in this area....seems to fit in with the rest of the rules on Immigration.

Â