Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Every year people say this, and then every year it isn't true, because teams sack managers, go on runs at the end of the season and so on. Of course if people say it every year, one year it will be right I suppose.

Last year for long spells it looked likely that 38-39 points would be needed but in the end Bournemouth and Watford hit winless runs in the last 15 games and we could've stopped up on 34 points if our GD had been better.

Given how the bottom 4 are barely picking up any points I'd be very surprised if you need more than what we needed to stay up last season. Those teams home records won't be as strong either due to BCD.

One way of looking at it, a win today for us and we're probably already got more than third of points needed to stay up which would be a nice and surreal feeling after last decade.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Last year for long spells it looked likely that 38-39 points would be needed but in the end Bournemouth and Watford hit winless runs in the last 15 games and we could've stopped up on 34 points if our GD had been better.

Given how the bottom 4 are barely picking up any points I'd be very surprised if you need more than what we needed to stay up last season. Those teams home records won't be as strong either due to BCD.

One way of looking at it, a win today for us and we're probably already got more than third of points needed to stay up which would be a nice and surreal feeling after last decade.

Yeah, I think 33 or 34 is perfectly plausible, but I would be surprised if fewer than 30 are required.

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Every year people say this, and then every year it isn't true, because teams sack managers, go on runs at the end of the season and so on. Of course if people say it every year, one year it will be right I suppose.

1st year I said it 😉

I think the quality of the bottom 3 is so bad that relegation could be decided very early this year

SU struggling doesn't make me think Wilder is a bad coach.

I think he has a Championship level team. Berge really stands out for them, he looks a quality player. But for the most part they are lacking quality.

What they did last season was unbelievable. If he manages to keep them up he has done another really good season.

• Like 1

If they have a championship level team then maybe Wilder has to take some responsibility for that, this summy they spent £70m plus and last season they spent £60m plus, so it's not as if they haven't had the money to spend. Wilder is also the manger who accused other clubs of having lazy recruitment and going after players just because they're linked to Sheffield United, so he obviously thinks they're better than championship level.

• Like 3

I think they have a relatively simple but effective style of football that is easy to work out and nullify and opposition managers have simply sussed them out thanks to the tape and experience

add to that there's always going to be a natural slight drop off in confidence and buzz around the team in the 2nd year

it'd be interesting to see how many teams they are outworking this season, it wont be as many as last year and that was their biggest asset 

• Like 1

I had a feeling sheff utd might struggle this year. They got found out towards the end of season and they still are trying the same things as last year. You need to keep evolving like we have and find other ways to win

I still think wilders a really good manager though mind you

I also think one of the things that worked for them last season was the fans both home and away. Home games the fans were pumped up but crucially in away games they were nullifying teams and the home fans were getting on the backs as they were "only" playing Sheffield United. They have won 3 drew 3(thanks Orjan) and lost 10 since fans were not allowed into the stadium, before lockdown they were just a couple points off Champions League

I also dont like the Wilder bashing from some fans, he can be a bit spiky but I think he is a decent guy

• Like 1

Sometimes the well just runs dry for managers at clubs. Said before Sheffield remind me of Reading who were excellent in their first season in premier league in 06/07 but then went down the next season even though they kept everyone apart from Steve Sidwell.

Howe at Bournemouth, Poch at Spurs and I think Dyche at Burnley are also examples of this. Would've happened for O'Neill here if he'd stayed on in 10/11 but he was too much of a coward for that and instead got found out at Sunderland instead.

It's been 4 years of great success for Wilder there so they're well overdue some setbacks and poor run. I still rate him so interested what answers he comes up with as they have problems at back and upfront which is never a good combination.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen him do anything but whinge.

Every interview they don't win is him listing off excuses and how unfair the result was. 

No harm in just saying 'we weren't good enough' 

12 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Every interview they don't win is him listing off excuses and how unfair the result was. 

No harm in just saying 'we weren't good enough' 

It’s not just post match interviews it’s his pre match press conferences.  He also spent the summer whinging about transfers whenever interviewed too.

Wolves playing Saiss at left wingback and have left Neves and Traore on the bench.

Could be the ideal time for Leeds to be playing them with their confidence at the moment and Wolves' injuries and below usual form whilst trying to change their style of play.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

West Brom vs Burnley sounds like the type of thriller that will convince many people to buy Pay per View

I mean, outside of the Boggies fan base and the team they’re playing that given week, is anyone paying to watch West Bromwich Albion? 

6 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

I mean, outside of the Boggies fan base and the team they’re playing that given week, is anyone paying to watch West Bromwich Albion? 

Insomniacs maybe

12th December I have already pre-booked the Newcastle vs Bgggies game ;) 

Â