U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

Yes, and for some reason the usual crowd are drilling down on me but not the original poster, who went off on one a little. No biggie, I just pointed it out and made some fun of it.

You may do it, but one cannot generally debate by themselves or it's not particularly healthy to do so. Feel free to take some of the blame.

Oi! No drill down from me. I have stood back from this!

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Me too. If he has that many followers of his brand of leadership then Trump 2.0 could be in with a good shout if the opposition doesn’t manage to get so many people off their backsides to vote again.

Then if one of his offspring did get the top job whilst he was still alive he’d be pulling the strings from behind the scenes which would be even worse.

Can the Republicans let things quieten down a year or two and then ban the Trumps from the party?  I'm not sure the GOP would want a repeat of all this, they can easily just choose some other nasty bastard who is actually a politician without all the circus.  I don't know how it works with people running to be a candidate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Can the Republicans let things quieten down a year or two and then ban the Trumps from the party?  I'm not sure the GOP would want a repeat of all this, they can easily just choose some other nasty bastard who is actually a politician without all the circus.  I don't know how it works with people running to be a candidate.

Not how it works over there. You self-identify, or not, as you see fit. There isn't a structure in place for such a ban to occur.

Being "banned from being a Republican" is no more a thing over there than being banned from liking football or banned from enjoying Chinese food.

You don't even need to identify as part of the party to run for President under that name, as Sanders has shown.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

This is key for me. Whether your country is leaning to the left or the right, you still need someone with a couple of brain cells, who actually knows how to do the job, not a TV host, a comedian or a rapper. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

This is key for me. Whether your country is leaning to the left or the right, you still need someone with a couple of brain cells, who actually knows how to do the job, not a TV host, a comedian or a rapper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Who actually knows how to do the job of president though? It's not like becoming a PM where the contenders are generally leaders of actual parties. Literally anyone can run for president, and it's usually a senator or something who wins. It's also not the first time the US has had a TV/movie star president either. 

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Who actually knows how to do the job of president though? It's not like becoming a PM where the contenders are generally leaders of actual parties. Literally anyone can run for president, and it's usually a senator or something who wins. It's also not the first time the US has had a TV/movie star president either. 

Yeah but at least Reagan was Governor of California and had a long history in politics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Perhaps, but the current trajectory would have the republican becoming the party of the working classes, while the democrats would be the part of the educated elite.

... and all votes are equal regardless of the condescending commentary from people in morally "superior" positions.

It's been very amusing watching you @villakram get so precious about me calling Melania a whore. I hope you had a swooning couch nearby as your sensibilities were so offended :rolleyes: 
Of course she only married Donald for his good looks and charm - how could I think anything else?

I also mentioned the kids in cages in regard to her because she on as tape as saying "give me f******g break" when talking about the kids in cages. Maybe you and others weren't aware of her comments? I thought it was quite well publicized that she had said that. Obviously a lovely lady.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/melania-trump-tape-recording-children-cages-border-christmas-decorations-b744562.html

Melania Trump has been heard on tape talking about criticism she faced over children separated from their parents at the border in a recording played by CNN’s Anderson Cooper.

The First Lady can be heard saying: “Give me a f***ing break.”

As another poster said; You tried to equate the Obama era policy of separating immigrant children from bandits, and the Trump administration separation as deterrent policy, as the same. They are very different. But don't let something technical like truth get in the way of trying to have a dig eh?

34 minutes ago, villakram said:

Perhaps, but the current trajectory would have the republican becoming the party of the working classes, while the democrats would be the part of the educated elite.

... and all votes are equal regardless of the condescending commentary from people in morally "superior" positions.

That's just not true is it. One of those lines thrown out "the party of the elite" makes them sound like somekind of tiny minority of monied aristocracy. 

They got 78m votes.  It's hardly just the Elite voting for them is it? 

All just part of the rhetoric to put a downer on them. 

Who is the multi billionaire in this contest? 

Representing the elite is cunning use of language to make things appear to be what they are not. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's just not true is it. One of those lines thrown out "the party of the elite" makes them sound like somekind of tiny minority of monied aristocracy. 

They got 78m votes.  It's hardly just the Elite voting for them is it? 

All just part of the rhetoric to put a downer on them. 

Who is the multi billionaire in this contest? 

Representing the elite is cunning use of language to make things appear to be what they are not. 

Sure, but what I'm trying to get at is that the classical picture has the democrats as the working class party and the republicans as the party of the elite, or more recently the reliance of the repubs on a weird religious block, which they've now managed to broaden into working class areas.

So, yes getting rid of Trump and the methodology of how he has taken control (all democratic one might note) might be desirable, but i doubt they'll turn their back on the effective messaging he has revealed.

Just now, villakram said:

Sure, but what I'm trying to get at is that the classical picture has the democrats as the working class party and the republicans as the party of the elite, or more recently the reliance of the repubs on a weird religious block, which they've now managed to broaden into working class areas.

So, yes getting rid of Trump and the methodology of how he has taken control (all democratic one might note) might be desirable, but i doubt they'll turn their back on the effective messaging he has revealed.

I think you make a good point. It's the same here now.  The Tories were the party of business (LOL) and Labour were the party of the working man.

Media has shifted the perspective so that the Tories are now looking out for people who are fed up of migrants/scroungers/cripples pissing on their chips, and Labour are the party of transexuals and virtue signallers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It's been very amusing watching you @villakram get so precious about me calling Melania a whore. I hope you had a swooning couch nearby as your sensibilities were so offended :rolleyes: 
Of course she only married Donald for his good looks and charm - how could I think anything else?

I also mentioned the kids in cages in regard to her because she on as tape as saying "give me f******g break" when talking about the kids in cages. Maybe you and others weren't aware of her comments? I thought it was quite well publicized that she had said that. Obviously a lovely lady.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/melania-trump-tape-recording-children-cages-border-christmas-decorations-b744562.html

As another poster said; You tried to equate the Obama era policy of separating immigrant children from bandits, and the Trump administration separation as deterrent policy, as the same. They are very different. But don't let something technical like truth get in the way of trying to have a dig eh?

You could have stated it like this rather than in the crude manner. Seriously, go read Fox (maybe not so much anymore), but certainly Infowars or Breitbart and see how they discuss Michelle Obama or Obama himself, Pelosi, Schumer, AOC etc. Sure playing in the ditch from time to time can be fun, but there's no real reason to go live there.

P.S. You're very welcome. I know it's been a stressful time.

Edited by villakram

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Is that true?  I've read that people with lower incomes backed Biden over Trump.  I guess it depends on the level of trajectory as to whether it will have an impact on future elections and which way the Republicans look for their next Presidential candidate.

The only people calling the Democrats the Party of the coastal elite, are Fox News, Breitbart, Limbaugh and Alex Jones etc. That should tell you everything about the veracity of that ludicrous caricature. Tell me once again just which party it is that wants to repeal the affordable care act, and deprive 20,000,000 of the poorest people in America of medical cover.

• Like 2

Â