Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

30 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Much prefer to play either of them sides for 6 points 

If Smith is in charge we’ll probably lose. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Last season must have been a figment of our imagination then. 

Oh you mean the one where he had the best team in the league that was massively under achieving but still managed a run of 2 wins in 12? 

He struck gold and it all came together and for that I congratulate him. It’s been pretty dire ever since. 

• Like 1

I'm actually now completely accepting and looking forward to next season & as appears likely (but still by no means definite quite yet) it will be a promotion push from the Championship. I am pleased there will be no VAR. I'm also excited to see if we can at last go up in the top 2 or even as Champions which would be very enjoyable, although naturally is by no means guaranteed.

Once the stench of this dismal campaign has evaporated i think exciting times can come back to Villa Park and who knows maybe even fans can too! The squad will no doubt have some losses including Grealish but then we have Louis Barry to look forward to along with some new signings no doubt. We may even get some better ones in as loans to buy in that division whereas in the Premier League clubs are more reluctant to loan to us it seems... unless they are woefully out of shape & form.

This was a bit like "The season that wasn't" with Covid-19, a dysfunctional VAR system / corruption depending on how you see it, ridiculous top 6 favoring rule changes part way through the season like 5 subs etc and an incomprehensible sham fixtures wise which again has seen us disadvantaged with congested games and less recovery time than all of our rivals in the relegation fight..... and that's not mentioning the unfair loss of home crowds which affected us more than any other team, Man City aside, as the FA forced through the restart for ££££'s sake.

So all in all, especially if you then add in the ridiculous bad luck with injuries to virtually the whole spine of our team and the constant rotation of the defence & keepers it has been a truly shocking experience and it's little wonder we have struggled so badly.

So i eagerly await the riddance of this awful season and welcome a fresh start, even if that does mean the Championship once more.

BRING IT ON! UTV

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 4

When Purslow was arguing against finishing the season at neutral grounds he referred to relegation as a £200m catastrophe, but I think he meant in the sense that that's how much the relegated teams would miss out on rather than clubs being necessarily financally ruined because of relegaton, and he wasn't speakng specfcally about us, just teams going down in general.

He has said on a few occasions that our future is financially secure with the owners we have.

Back to the kiddy pool of football. At least Ill have a lot of free time in the next 9-10 months. I've gotten quite used to no football under the Covid-19 break so it doesn't bother me.

Championship football doesn't interest me and I don't have whatever channel that will broadcast a game or so a week in Sweden.

I will certainly not shell out money to see if we can compete with a bunch of plucky clubs with 1/10th our budget.

I will follow our results with interest thou. Hopefully we can get straight back up so the financial hit is not too crushing.

Edited by sne

23 hours ago, hippo said:

I can't be sure - but did I hear that perhaps apart from Grealish and Mings - not many of the current squad are on massive salaries ?

I think they were prudent in the wage department tbh. Far more prudent than in the scouting department anyway. 

If we sell Mings, Grealish, McGinn and Luiz, I think we’ll be ok financially. That’s arguably 140m there. Plus the parachute payments.

We’ll be left with a woeful side but that’s what happens when your club simply can’t stop buying terrible players year in year out. 

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 04:19, hippo said:

I can't be sure - but did I hear that perhaps apart from Grealish and Mings - not many of the current squad are on massive salaries ?

Well, depends on what you define as massive but Grealish and Mings are arguably not even our highest earners. Grealish is questionable because we don't know how much him signing the contract of the start of the season bumped his wage but Mings is only on 25k per week with many of our players earning more than him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think they were prudent in the wage department tbh. Far more prudent than in the scouting department anyway. 

If we sell Mings, Grealish, McGinn and Luiz, I think we’ll be ok financially. That’s arguably 140m there. Plus the parachute payments.

We’ll be left with a woeful side but that’s what happens when your club simply can’t stop buying terrible players year in year out. 

We will but look at wba squad its dreadful and they have 2nd.

They are coming straight back down.

We need to use the money and get rid of smith and get a quality manager in. With a budget of around 50-60m i thiink we can challenge 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We will but look at wba squad its dreadful and they have 2nd.

They are coming straight back down.

I used to think that about Sheffield United.

And i still think their squad is awful with very little ability.

What have Mings (Who we rescued from Bournemouth bench) and McGinn ( Injured and out of form for bulk of the season) done for everybody to keep insisting we WILL lose them?

Our best transfer business next season in the Championship would be keeping them, and attempting to keep Luiz as our crown jewel.

Bar Jack, Luiz is the only player I would be overly concerned about.

As for the rest, we would probably struggle to sell them, so i don't get the fans approach to these.

Keep those, bring in a couple of decent wingers, a quality midfield destroyer and I think we would be fine.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What have Mings (Who we rescued from Bournemouth bench) and McGinn ( Injured and out of form for bulk of the season) done for everybody to keep insisting we WILL lose them?

Our best transfer business next season in the Championship would be keeping them, and attempting to keep Luiz as our crown jewel.

Bar Jack, Luiz is the only player I would be overly concerned about.

As for the rest, we would probably struggle to sell them, so i don't get the fans approach to these.

Keep those, bring in a couple of decent wingers, a quality midfield destroyer and I think we would be fine.

It’s a valid point. We won’t keep hold of Mings though. 

Does anyone else think McGinn has come back overweight? 

Mings is being linked to Arsenal and Man Utd, with Euro 21 coming up next year will be very hard to keep hold of him.

Luiz has shown enough promise and now some consistent form that there will be a number of clubs interested in him.

McGinn we might have a chance of keeping but only because of his injury, but if he shows any indication that he's back to his best before the end of the season that will probably draw interest to him.

I think we might lose a few others as well that maybe people aren't expecting us to, wouldn't be surprised to see any of the likes of El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Wesley, Samatta, and Engels leave.

It's okay saying that we don't have to sell, but if you're trying to get promoted the last thing you need is a bunch of players that don't want to be there.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Mings is being linked to Arsenal and Man Utd, with Euro 21 coming up next year will be very hard to keep hold of him.

Luiz has shown enough promise and now some consistent form that there will be a number of clubs interested in him.

McGinn we might have a chance of keeping but only because of his injury, but if he shows any indication that he's back to his best before the end of the season that will probably draw interest to him.

I think we might lose a few others as well that maybe people aren't expecting us to, wouldn't be surprised to see any of the likes of El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Wesley, Samatta, and Engels leave.

It's okay saying that we don't have to sell, but if you're trying to get promoted the last thing you need is a bunch of players that don't want to be there.

Love the font

I think part of the problem is that plenty of crap managers get teams out of the championship.....

But then get a stay of execution when struggling in the PL.

Remember the uproar when Southampton sacked Adkins - ? With hindsight a blinding decision ...

Perhaps next time we need to be more ruthless.

• Like 1

Â