Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

Really hope we surprise and get some wins in the last games, but it's looking quite unlikely, so I'm starting to mentally prepare for the Championship.

Actually I feel quite positive about it. Perhaps we went up one season to early. I think we can keep much of the squad, it will be one of the best in the Championship, we can make some additions without spending too much and save some money for the season thereafter in the Premier League, using the money to add a couple really quality players, keeping the squad intact. Some of our players would benefit from a year in the Championship.

With Heaton being injured, I think there is a chance of us keeping him, he also seems a good personality and loyal, Villa is probably the biggest club he will be at.

In defence I think Konsa, Targett and Guilbert will stay, hard to see any top half PL clubs buying them and they would be great in the Championship. Engels is a bit of a mystery, but for now I cant see any other club wanting him and I think he too would be great in the Championship, so would be great to keep (if there isn't anything fishy going on with him). Taylor and Elmohamady I would be very happy to keep as cover. Mings will most probably go, I would wish that the love he had received from the fan base, the chance of being captain for many years and bringing us up a second time could convince him to stay, but that wishful thinking. How about loaning him out a year and take him back if we go straight back up? Hause will probably stay although I don't rate him at all.

This means our defence can be almost intact and would be one of the best in the Championship. We would need a reliable top Championship CB to replace Mings (£10-15M?) who could also then do a job in the PL, and ideally one more, perhaps a loan.

In midfield I actually have quite high hopes of keeping McGinn, his injury will have made him less attractive to buy, he is the loyal type and wont throw his toys out to get a move. Luiz I would dream about keeping, but most probably is the second player out after Grealish. Hard to see a full Brazil international who is playing really well drop down to the Championship. Nakamba I think will stay and I think would be one of the best midfielders in the Championship, a year there would do him the world of good, I think he has much potential. Hourihane should stay around, we know he can do a job in the Championship and brings goals. Lansbury is bye bye. This means we need one holding MF and two box to box MF. If we buy two top Championship players (£5-10M each) and loan in one it would be sufficient. I'm not sure if Sawyers is good enough for the PL, if so we should have a look at him. I'm also been impressed with Daniel Johnson every time I've seen him, Barry Bannan would be nice to bring back as well, he would suit our style of play, and the two former would give us some good old Villa spirit back. Any of them should be on top of the two top MF we need to bring in.

As attacking MF Grealish will obviously go. Considering being forced to sell if we go down and what corona possibly has done to the market I think we realistically should be glad if we get £40-50M for him. Above that would be a bonus. Man U is good at paying over price so hopefully. Trez should propbably go, although I wouldn't mind keeping him. El Ghazi is a difficult one, I would like him to stay, he would be one of the best wingers/wide forwards in the Championship. But he probably thinks he is too good for the Championship and could be right, at least he has potential to be too good. I'm not sure if his temper and antics makes him a bad egg in the squad. Anyway I assume he will leave. This means we are out of wide forwards. I hope we finally get Lolley (£10M?), we would need another two top Championship ones, one perhaps that Millwall player who seems to be doing well and has been rumoured (£8M?), other two we should try to loan in, preferrably young hungry PL ones. I by the way wonder if it would be possible to lure Albrighton back.

In attack I think we can keep Wesley, simply because he is injured. A year in the Championship would be great for him. I think he has gotten unfarily much stick on here and think he would be great in the Championship. Samatta would be wonderful to keep, he is too good, but has only been here for half a year and seems to be the loyal type. He would smash the Championship. Davies if he can keep himself injury free would be really good. On top of that we should loan in or bring in for a year a proven older Championship striker, someone like Fletcher.

So that means we would have the most of our squad intact, it would be one of the best in the Championship, we would bring in up towards £100M on Grealish, Mings, Luiz, Trez and ElGhazi. We would get parachute money on top of that. And we would need to spend around £40-50M on one CB, two MF and two wide forwards, then bring in a couple on loan, hopefully good young players from PL clubs, and on top of that blend in some of our best U21 players and give them more chances. Then in two seasons we would be better suited for the PL then we were this time.     

• Like 1

If we sell Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Trezeguet for a combined £130m+ I would then go for Benrahma (£25m) to replace Trezeguet out wide left, Lolley (£10m) to replace McGinn, Mitrovic (£30m) to give us a real threat up front and scour the likes of Holland or Belgium to find a left-sided centre back to partner Engels. We could replace Grealish with Eze from QPR for £25m. Probably spend £100m of the money we take in and that leaves £30m in the coffers to help with FFP. 

If we were to go up the next season, we would have young, talented players already with us and use the next big money to add 5 real quality players rather than build a whole team. I'd start the season with a team like this:

...................... Heaton.................. 

Guilbert... Engels....?........ Targett

......................... Luiz..................... 

........................Lolley....................

El Ghazi............ Eze....... Benrahma

...................... Mitrovic................... 

Subs: Steer, Hause, Hourihane, Samatta, Wesley, Elmohamady, Nakamba. 

Benrahma's next move is up. He is not moving down or sideways to another championship club. Personally I wouldn't pay 25million for him. Eze is also going to move up. We are not going to be coming straight back up. 

• Like 1

It actually wouldn't surprise me all that much if Benrahma didn't end up in the premier league next season. Don't think we will sign him though, for some strange reason people seem to think that he and Lolley are the only wingers.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

no coincidence our attacking play has dried up since Wesley went down

It dried even before that. We were very bad during December even while we won against Norwich somehow.

8 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Benrahma's next move is up. He is not moving down or sideways to another championship club. Personally I wouldn't pay 25million for him. Eze is also going to move up. We are not going to be coming straight back up. 

Well, if those two players are playing at a higher level it means that three clubs will go up without them, why can't we be one of them? 

Norwich will go down and lose the likes of Jamal Lewis, Max Aarons, Todd Cantwell etc so won't be the same force they were last time around. If we go down, it'll probably be one of Watford, West Ham or Bournemouth with us. They will all have their best players cherry-picked from them too. Watford and West Ham will be paying huge wages so will have a fire sale to survive. 

We just have to make sure we plug each hole with the best possible/attainable replacements. 

Lolley is the type of signing we shouldn't be making (sorry Joe...) 

We sign him for £10 - 15m, 5 year deal, we get promoted in year 1 or year 2...and then we have a 29 or 30 year old who has little resale value and won't be good enough to be a starting PL player so we have to sign someone else 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Lolley is the type of signing we shouldn't be making (sorry Joe...) 

We sign him for £10 - 15m, 5 year deal, we get promoted in year 1 or year 2...and then we have a 29 or 30 year old who has little resale value and won't be good enough to be a starting PL player so we have to sign someone else 

We dont want to sign Danny Ings he's 28, we don't want to sign Messi hes 33, we don't want to sign KDB hes 29, We don't want to sign Salah hes 28, We don't want to sign Neymar because in A year or two he be 30!

How ridiculous............... Saying that a player who's 29 or 30 in a year or 2 would be a bad signing. Lolley be a perfect signing to help us get promoted

Edited by messi11

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

We dont want to sign Danny Ings he's 28, we don't want to sign Messi hes 33, we don't want to sign KDB hes 29, We don't want to sign Salah hes 28, We don't want to sign Neymar because in A year or two he be 30!

How ridiculous............... Saying that a player who's 29 or 30 in a year or 2 would be a bad signing. Lolley be a perfect signing to help us get promoted

There's a big difference

Lolley isn't in the PL now, he has 6 PL appearances to his name

I'm not doubting that he would be a good signing for us in the championship but he's short term thinking, he's not going to develop and get better, he's not going to be a PL starting winger should we get promoted, so why sign him? 

Eze for example I can understand, as we step up he steps up, Benrahma the same, Lolley isn't 

Signing Lolley says to me we learned nothing from the last time we were down there 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Really hope we surprise and get some wins in the last games, but it's looking quite unlikely, so I'm starting to mentally prepare for the Championship.

Actually I feel quite positive about it. Perhaps we went up one season to early. I think we can keep much of the squad, it will be one of the best in the Championship, we can make some additions without spending too much and save some money for the season thereafter in the Premier League, using the money to add a couple really quality players, keeping the squad intact. Some of our players would benefit from a year in the Championship.

With Heaton being injured, I think there is a chance of us keeping him, he also seems a good personality and loyal, Villa is probably the biggest club he will be at.

In defence I think Konsa, Targett and Guilbert will stay, hard to see any top half PL clubs buying them and they would be great in the Championship. Engels is a bit of a mystery, but for now I cant see any other club wanting him and I think he too would be great in the Championship, so would be great to keep (if there isn't anything fishy going on with him). Taylor and Elmohamady I would be very happy to keep as cover. Mings will most probably go, I would wish that the love he had received from the fan base, the chance of being captain for many years and bringing us up a second time could convince him to stay, but that wishful thinking. How about loaning him out a year and take him back if we go straight back up? Hause will probably stay although I don't rate him at all.

This means our defence can be almost intact and would be one of the best in the Championship. We would need a reliable top Championship CB to replace Mings (£10-15M?) who could also then do a job in the PL, and ideally one more, perhaps a loan.

In midfield I actually have quite high hopes of keeping McGinn, his injury will have made him less attractive to buy, he is the loyal type and wont throw his toys out to get a move. Luiz I would dream about keeping, but most probably is the second player out after Grealish. Hard to see a full Brazil international who is playing really well drop down to the Championship. Nakamba I think will stay and I think would be one of the best midfielders in the Championship, a year there would do him the world of good, I think he has much potential. Hourihane should stay around, we know he can do a job in the Championship and brings goals. Lansbury is bye bye. This means we need one holding MF and two box to box MF. If we buy two top Championship players (£5-10M each) and loan in one it would be sufficient. I'm not sure if Sawyers is good enough for the PL, if so we should have a look at him. I'm also been impressed with Daniel Johnson every time I've seen him, Barry Bannan would be nice to bring back as well, he would suit our style of play, and the two former would give us some good old Villa spirit back. Any of them should be on top of the two top MF we need to bring in.

As attacking MF Grealish will obviously go. Considering being forced to sell if we go down and what corona possibly has done to the market I think we realistically should be glad if we get £40-50M for him. Above that would be a bonus. Man U is good at paying over price so hopefully. Trez should propbably go, although I wouldn't mind keeping him. El Ghazi is a difficult one, I would like him to stay, he would be one of the best wingers/wide forwards in the Championship. But he probably thinks he is too good for the Championship and could be right, at least he has potential to be too good. I'm not sure if his temper and antics makes him a bad egg in the squad. Anyway I assume he will leave. This means we are out of wide forwards. I hope we finally get Lolley (£10M?), we would need another two top Championship ones, one perhaps that Millwall player who seems to be doing well and has been rumoured (£8M?), other two we should try to loan in, preferrably young hungry PL ones. I by the way wonder if it would be possible to lure Albrighton back.

In attack I think we can keep Wesley, simply because he is injured. A year in the Championship would be great for him. I think he has gotten unfarily much stick on here and think he would be great in the Championship. Samatta would be wonderful to keep, he is too good, but has only been here for half a year and seems to be the loyal type. He would smash the Championship. Davies if he can keep himself injury free would be really good. On top of that we should loan in or bring in for a year a proven older Championship striker, someone like Fletcher.

So that means we would have the most of our squad intact, it would be one of the best in the Championship, we would bring in up towards £100M on Grealish, Mings, Luiz, Trez and ElGhazi. We would get parachute money on top of that. And we would need to spend around £40-50M on one CB, two MF and two wide forwards, then bring in a couple on loan, hopefully good young players from PL clubs, and on top of that blend in some of our best U21 players and give them more chances. Then in two seasons we would be better suited for the PL then we were this time.     

We aren't forced to sell if we go down. Ffp has been waived for next season. That means unless the price is right we can keep any all our players. 40 million get out of here. If we kept him for an extra season. We would get 80-100 million. The only player I'm not confident we could keep is Luiz but only because we aren't sure whether he has a buyback option or not.

If we go down I would say we might loan out a couple of our players like grealish and mings to keep them happy (so they can get into the England squad) but I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed 4 or 5 players with 20-30 million each as we don't have to worry about ffp. 

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We aren't forced to sell if we go down. Ffp has been waived for next season.

All the more bizarre reason why the club are not moving to try and get 'A big name' try and let him save this season but if not then some guarantee in place the club is theirs for the next few season to build the project. A bit like the Rafa years at Newcastle.

All the more reason I believe the position is being kept warm for John Terry to take the reigns, leaving the situation as it is when they know Dean needs a miracle to ensure our League safety and that he somehow keeps himself in a job.

I don't see the latter two scenarios materialising for Club and current coach based on our remaining games and current form.

If we are to go down, I can’t see many leaving. Jack definitely. Mings, will probably be thinking about his England career, but I don’t know who’d pay the money for him. Luiz seems the type who wouldn’t want to play in the championship, so I’d say he’s likely. Then there’s the Trez rumours. Heaton may  be worried about his England place, but I think it’s different for goalkeepers Rather than outfield players, plus there are some good young keepers around so he may not get picked anyway. Apart from that I think everyone else would stay.
You add a DLP, a commanding CB and a couple of wingers to that, aided by actually playing some of the youth players and we’d be pretty strong for the division.  

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There's a big difference

Lolley isn't in the PL now, he has 6 PL appearances to his name

I'm not doubting that he would be a good signing for us in the championship but he's short term thinking, he's not going to develop and get better, he's not going to be a PL starting winger should we get promoted, so why sign him? 

Eze for example I can understand, as we step up he steps up, Benrahma the same, Lolley isn't 

Signing Lolley says to me we learned nothing from the last time we were down there 

We still need players to sit on the bench though if we do go up which Lolley and Gayle would be o.k as squad options.

Problem last summer is never mind a competitive 11 we didn't have much of a sub bench either hence getting in likes of Hause, Jota, Nakamba, Trez and Engels to bench warm. Nearly 40m for all that.

Â