Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought this the other day, however not surprised as he was out for so long. Started to look better last match and that is undoubtedly due to increasing fitness.

Little too late I feel though.

He looked better because he was played in the correct position for the first time this season. He is a box to box midfielder but he needs to start deep so he can win the ball, receive it short and make adventurous passes and runs. Which he can't do if he is playing as a 2nd striker. 

• Like 1

If the owners have ambition, things will have to change.

Recruitment:

Trezequet, Jota, Hause, Konza. None of these should have been signed, and I suspect Smith was involved in them. Targett, El Ghazi, Wesley. Poor signings for the PL in my opinion.

Just think what we could have done with decent signings scouted from abroad in these 8 positions. We need the kind of scouting that can pinpoint the kind of players we need.

The players I have mentioned above appear to my eyes to be what I would term lazy signings. Not enough thought put into what we really need.

Management:

I like Smith and he is one of us. But let's not let that cloud our judgement.

He did well last season. But he still finished the season 5th with a team superior, if not better, than that of any other club. (Just my opinion, but I loved that team.)

This season he has been terrible; has appeared completely out of his depth, and barring a miracle will get us relegated.

His only mitigation is, as I suggested above, poor recruitment, but I still feel that he should have been able to get more out of the team. I am unconvinced by his performance this season.

Ownership:

The owners need to be smarter in their appointments, or they will only be wasting time and money.

To sum up:

Recruitment and Management need to be changed if we are to maximise the potential of our owners, rather than the status quo, or the slow downward spiral.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

None of these should have been signed, and I suspect Smith was involved in them.

Just by using common sense i'd say Heaton, Engels, Targett, Konsa, Hause, Mings, El Ghazi, Jota were Smith signings

Trezeguet, Wesley Moraes, Luiz, Nakamba. Would be Suso signings. Luiz has been one of our better players. Wesley is very split from the fans but a lot seem to rate him. Nakamba and Trezeguet crap. So in reality Suso really only failed with 2 of his signings.

Hitting with half of your signings isn't great but not awful either.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Just by using common sense i'd say Heaton, Engels, Targett, Konsa, Hause, Mings, El Ghazi, Jota were Smith signings

Trezeguet, Wesley Moraes, Luiz, Nakamba. Would be Suso signings. Luiz has been one of our better players. Wesley is very split from the fans but a lot seem to rate him. Nakamba and Trezeguet crap. So in reality Suso really only failed with 2 of his signings.

When you say using common sense here what you mean is guessing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Whatever you and I think, and neither of us know, it's just guesswork, the owners and CEO do know, and it will be up to them to take appropriate action.

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

If the owners have ambition, things will have to change.

Recruitment:

Trezequet, Jota, Hause, Konza. None of these should have been signed, and I suspect Smith was involved in them. Targett, El Ghazi, Wesley. Poor signings for the PL in my opinion.

Just think what we could have done with decent signings scouted from abroad in these 8 positions. We need the kind of scouting that can pinpoint the kind of players we need.

The players I have mentioned above appear to my eyes to be what I would term lazy signings. Not enough thought put into what we really need.

Management:

I like Smith and he is one of us. But let's not let that cloud our judgement.

He did well last season. But he still finished the season 5th with a team superior, if not better, than that of any other club. (Just my opinion, but I loved that team.)

This season he has been terrible; has appeared completely out of his depth, and barring a miracle will get us relegated.

His only mitigation is, as I suggested above, poor recruitment, but I still feel that he should have been able to get more out of the team. I am unconvinced by his performance this season.

Ownership:

The owners need to be smarter in their appointments, or they will only be wasting time and money.

To sum up:

Recruitment and Management need to be changed if we are to maximise the potential of our owners, rather than the status quo, or the slow downward spiral.

Imo a defence containing Mings/Heaton/Target should have done better at this level. Heaton is a top Keeper and Mings an International CB. 

For me keeping mcginn and luiz is the key to coming straight back. Those two in cm will dominate most of that league.

Keep wes as he is good mates with luiz so that be a sweetner for him. Maybe wes might be good at championship level.

Konsa and engels woumd be moy cb pairing next season as i expect mings will just go. Hause is abit meh but good cover i guess. Heaton is another we need to keep at all costs.

Grealish wi be very hard to replace but at championship level a lot of good players we can get that would do very well there

Just now, Demitri_C said:

For me keeping mcginn and luiz is the key to coming straight back. Those two in cm will dominate most of that league.

Keep wes as he is good mates with luiz so that be a sweetner for him. Maybe wes might be good at championship level.

Konsa and engels woumd be moy cb pairing next season as i expect mings will just go. Hause is abit meh but good cover i guess. Heaton is another we need to keep at all costs.

Grealish wi be very hard to replace but at championship level a lot of good players we can get that would do very well there

But where is the creativity coming from?

Trezeguet is going back to Turkey and El Ghazi isn't consistent enough to be in a top 2 chasing team.

We won't go up if the recruitment fails again.

Just now, villalad21 said:

But where is the creativity coming from?

Trezeguet is going back to Turkey and El Ghazi isn't consistent enough to be in a top 2 chasing team.

We won't go up if the recruitment fails again.

Yeah thats the one area we will need to invest.  We need some decent wingers. Benrama would be my number one chouce but he can go bigger than us now. Id rather have signed benrama than jota trez and aeg. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Benrama would be my number one chouce but he can go bigger than us now. Id rather have signed benrama than jota trez and aeg. 

Brentford are 3 pts behind Leeds.

They've got every chance getting promoted. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brentford are 3 pts behind Leeds.

They've got every chance getting promoted. 

Yeah exactly we missed the boat there. Now he is likely to go to a bigger club as can see a team like arsenal going for him

Last time we were in the championship McGinn and Hourihane were two of the most creative players in the divison, Hourihane had twelve assists and eight goals, and McGinn had seven goals and ten assists, that's almost forty goals they were directly involved in between them. And of course we will be signing players as well, will be a very different side to the team that we had the last time we were in the championship, will probably be a very different team to the one we have this season, so this thing of asking how we will cope without Grealish doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

so this thing of asking how we will cope without Grealish doesn't make sense.

If not for Jack we would be 20th now.

Last season we won 2/12 games when he was injured.

Less fear of relegation this time for me and am actually looking forward to the championship. All the best loan options will come to us, all the best young talent who aren't taken by prem sides will come to us. No more big money on the Ross McCormacks of the world, we have surely learnt our lesson (?!). It's probably optimistic but I can see us keeping those that were injured for at least one season down there and regardless of Jack that will be a strong spine to fill out with quality loans and talent. It's not going to take all the money we will have at our disposal either. The aim must be to do a Sheffield United - now that we've done a Fulham. 

• Like 1

Well if Grealish leaves we will have an whole pre-season to come up with a game plan to play without him, will have different players to help with that gameplan, there's a very good chance that we will be in a different division, and may very well have a different manager so it will be a completely different situation.

Teams get promoted every season without Jack Grealish, and I'm sure we can too, fankly we've been rubbish for the whole time he's been at the club which isn't his fault, but that illustrates that getting the team right is much more improtant than one player. We could sell him in the summer, and not sign another player as good as him in the next ten years but still have more success in the next ten seasons than we have had in the last ten seasons.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, useless said:

Last time we were in the championship McGinn and Hourihane were two of the most creative players in the divison, Hourihane had twelve assists and eight goals, and McGinn had seven goals and ten assists, that's almost forty goals they were directly involved in between them. And of course we will be signing players as well, will be a very different side to the team that we had the last time we were in the championship, will probably be a very different team to the one we have this season, so this thing of asking how we will cope without Grealish doesn't make sense.

It does make sense as even with thise two we struggled without grealish.

We ceetqinly wont be able to rely kn them two. Also conor is approaching 30 now.

Â