Championship 2020-2021 Thread

messi11

I was wondering if we might try and get Tuanzebe on a loan to buy deal, this time last year might have seemed unrealistic for a championship team, but given he's hardly played any football this season, I'm not sure if any premier league sides would buy him as a first team regular, so might be something that we can do.

29 minutes ago, useless said:

If El Ghazi, Lolley, Hourihane, and Gayle were in our first team next season then first thing we'd have to do is replace them if we managed to get promoted, for all of those players have proven that they're not good enough for the premier league, I don't think Lolley has even been that great in the championship this season for Forest. In fact I'm not even sure how confident I would be of autmomatic promotion if the whole team was made up of players like that, almost reminds me of our strategy of just signing big names (by championship standards) the last time we were down there, and hoping that that would somehow work just because we threw a lot of money at it.

I get that viewpoint but surely Gayle would just revert to being the sub off the bench if we went up as he's been doing for Newcastle all season and also when they first went up under Benitez.

Would save us having to buy two new strikers next summer for example with a type like him already at the club.

We should've of course signed two new strikers last summer but the manager decided Kodjia and Davis was enough cover for Wesley.

Another name to throw into the mix is someone I think @Villan4Life has mentioned before. Karlan Grant scored for Huddersfield today and has 17 for the season but they are in bottom 3. Wouldn't cost much at all if they got relegated as they signed him on premier league wages so would be desperate to get him off their books. Also scored the odd goal in the premier league. Only 22.

Edit: Sorry Ferguson1, was just skim reading your post so didn't see you'd mentioned him aswell!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, useless said:

I was wondering if we might try and get Tuanzebe on a loan to buy deal, this time last year might have seemed unrealistic for a championship team, but given he's hardly played any football this season, I'm not sure if any premier league sides would buy him as a first team regular, so might be something that we can do.

Maybe as part of the Grealish deal 

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We don’t need strikers we need wide forwards. Ours are rubbish!

We need both   Our strikers are poor ,  can’t see Wesley wanting to play at that level having got a Brazilian cap . 
would love to flog Wesley and get someone like mitrovic 

1 hour ago, useless said:

If El Ghazi, Lolley, Hourihane, and Gayle were in our first team next season then first thing we'd have to do is replace them if we managed to get promoted, for all of those players have proven that they're not good enough for the premier league, I don't think Lolley has even been that great in the championship this season for Forest. In fact I'm not even sure how confident I would be of autmomatic promotion if the whole team was made up of players like that, almost reminds me of our strategy of just signing big names (by championship standards) the last time we were down there, and hoping that that would somehow work just because we threw a lot of money at it.

Personally i’d be quite happy with Lolley, Gayle and El Ghazi as a front 3 in the Championship.  Backed up with some of my other suggestions in this thread, we’d be pretty strong.  Karlan Grant should not be ignored though if Huddersfield are relegated.

Karlan Grant should be someone we could go for whether Huddersfield are relegated or not,  don't think he did too bad in the premier league either, so wouldn't be a bad idea. A lot will depend on what Wesley and Samatta and do and who the manager is, if we bring in an up and coming manager from the continent as seems to be the wish of many, then that type of manager might be likely to bring in players that they already know from their league or that they've worked with.

• Like 1

If we go down there’s not a cat in hells chance we’ll have Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Luiz, Trezeguet, El Ghazi or Targett staying at the club.

we may be fortunate, due to his injury Wesley might stick around until January.

If we get relegated, we’ll require yet another rebuild but should have the funds to do it from the inevitable sales of our assets. 

At best I can imagine we could retain Nakamba, Samatta, Konsa, Guilbert and Heaton. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

We need both   Our strikers are poor ,  can’t see Wesley wanting to play at that level having got a Brazilian cap . 
would love to flog Wesley and get someone like mitrovic 

You don’t think Wesley, Davis and Samatta are good enough?

We need players that are better than Championship level or going to be. Either youngsters with a higher ceiling or physical specimens that can handle the step up. You cannot go down thinking your looking for lesser players. Just better bargains. Otherwise you end up with a team of crap you need to shift. We also need pace and lots of it. I'd also be playing Barry over Davies anyway at that level. Barry may become a good PL player, Davies won't imo.  

We also need a better manager.... Just saying! Not many players are going to look at Smith and say that want to play for him after this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I think Samatta and Wes would bully the Championship it's that slow in comparison to the PL. 

I don't. Samatta will be fine. But I'd much rather partner him with Keinan. 

Wesley is slow for sure. No urgency, awful at timing, heading, directness and the physical aspect of the game, but he also lacks so much more. He's never looked like a striker at all. 

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't. Samatta will be fine. But I'd much rather partner him with Keinan. 

Wesley is slow for sure. No urgency, awful at timing, heading, directness and the physical aspect of the game, but he also lacks so much more. He's never looked like a striker at all. 

Yeah but you just don't like him. I understand.. I just see more in him, more in fact than Davies as a long term project. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Nathan Collins at Stoke.

All good suggestions mate. I've rated Collins for over year when went  scout at Wolves u23 vs Stoke U23 at Molyneaux before Man United was linked.

Also  Thibaud Verlinden & Tyrese Campbell both of Stoke

• Like 1

Â