Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

19 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Cancel the Euros and give Football a break until shit gets sorted out then start it again.  No one loses out then. Footy in the summer sounds good to me!

Think the euros will be cancelled just so you can finish off the seasons e.g. Serie A gets played into late June. You can always play the tournaments next summer if you rejig the fixture list a bit.

Of course this can only happen if the spread of the virus reduces over next month and no guarentee that will happen, will probably get worse in U.K which makes behind closed games in April pretty inevitable I think.

in theory because the euros is split across several cities in pre existing stadiums then the financial losses shouldn't be that bad (if the Olympics get pulled japan are ****)

not sure what the answer is if the domestic football gets canned, if they stand by Liverpool winning the title then in theory they have to stand by top 4 and relegation too but with the money involved that will go down like a shit sandwich, if they just void this season Liverpool will kick off big time, it could actually play in to the hands of the European super league (which I still don't see happening) as the legal wrangling's across various leagues cause such a headache that they finally get the chance to break away

personally with Liverpool top, us in the relegation zone and a leeds supporting brother and baggies supporting dad them cancelling this season would be incredible

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

in theory because the euros is split across several cities in pre existing stadiums then the financial losses shouldn't be that bad (if the Olympics get pulled japan are ****)

not sure what the answer is if the domestic football gets canned, if they stand by Liverpool winning the title then in theory they have to stand by top 4 and relegation too but with the money involved that will go down like a shit sandwich, if they just void this season Liverpool will kick off big time, it could actually play in to the hands of the European super league (which I still don't see happening) as the legal wrangling's across various leagues cause such a headache that they finally get the chance to break away

personally with Liverpool top, us in the relegation zone and a leeds supporting brother and baggies supporting dad them cancelling this season would be incredible

They'll play it behind closed doors unless a player gets infected. If they have to cancel then allegedly all 20 premier League teams have to agree to a change of rules. (I.E. ending the season after 30 games with the Champions, Bottom 3 etc consequences continuing).

In that instance, us, Norwich and anyone fighting relegation refuse to approve the new rules. Man Utd and Man City on principle I imagine refuse to vote to let Liverpool win the league too. 

Suspending it and playing it at a later date probably makes sense. Maybe it plays into the hands of Qatar 2022 by moving all the seasons back and catching back up at a later period. 

With transfer Windows etc though you would imagine the European leagues would need to be relatively aligned. 

Imagine the league starting again in August only to have Dortmund come and buy Jack from us just before our last 4 games etc? (Hypothetically). Any club would be livid. So would assume UEFA or FIFA get involved to align as much as possible. 

I'm all in favour of cancelling the season and start again next year as though nothing happened 😄

Edited by HalfTimePost

If the season is cancelled I think we'd just have to also cancel all promotions and relegations for a season as well, anything else wouldn't be fair, after thirty games we won't have all played the same teams so bottom three wouldn't give a clear indication of the three worst teams in the division, obviously it would be bad luck on teams in the lower leagues battling for promotion but doing whatever it takes to stop the spread of covid-19 is much more important than football. 

• Haha 1

I had a dream last night that the season was cancelled, and because it wasn't fair to relegate just the bottom 3 as the games hadn't finished, they decided to relegate the bottom 5.

That would be hilarious. 

I think they will turn absolutely every stone to somehow finish the season. But if they can't I imagine a scenario where no team is relegated but the top 2 or 3 teams from the Championship are still promoted and the leage next year is played with a couple of extra teams and more team get relegated,

Still think the most likely scenario is empty stadiums and the show goes on.

On 09/03/2020 at 09:24, villalad21 said:

Ban the old people then..

Sorry Roy but you're out!

Image result for roy hodgson mad

The trouble is that most under 60's will have contact with friends, family and members of the public, who are aged 60+ and they would therefore be likely to quicken the spread of the virus.

If the season has to finish early so be it and I would be happy to pass the news to Klopp, Moyes and Bilic, quoting "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" as I did so. By the way, I think Shanks may have been a little tongue in cheek when he said that. ;)  

Image result for corona meme

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Football is so shit in an empty stadium, better off calling it all off

Bet they’d still have you’ll never walk alone and crowd noise played at well above realistic levels for televised Liverpool games

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Bet they’d still have you’ll never walk alone and crowd noise played at well above realistic levels for televised Liverpool games

And then drape the whole stadiums in banners from sponsors.

The ultimate dream from broadcasters and sponsors alike. Get rid of those pesky people in the stadiums and make room for even more shiny crap for the important people, the ones watching in China and other markets.

• Like 1

For the title race they could just extend that into next season, say if there's eight games to go when the season is cancelled whoever LIverpool and Man City were due to play just give them those fixtures as their first eight games for next season and whatever points they get count for their total next season and are also added on to the total for this season to decide who wins the title.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

And then drape the whole stadiums in banners from sponsors.

The ultimate dream from broadcasters and sponsors alike. Get rid of those pesky people in the stadiums and make room for even more shiny crap for the important people, the ones watching in China and other markets.

God, I hadn’t even considered this.

Â