Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Forest owner has announced that he's contracted the virus, and it's being reported that he met the Forest squad on Friday, there are suggestions now that their game against Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend could be called off. If the players start getting the virus and having to self-isolate, that's when things could really start to get complicated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51824172

The Italian football federation (FIGC) said after a meeting on Tuesday that the Serie A season may not finish because of the coronavirus outbreak.

A statement confirmed that Serie A would stop until 3 April following a government decree issued on Monday.

FIGC president Gabriele Gravina also put forward alternative options if the season can not be concluded.

They include staging play-offs, not having a champion for 2019-20 or declaring the current standings final.

Play-offs would take place to determine the champions and the three clubs to be relegated to Serie B.

But if the title winner is decided by the current standings then Juventus would be Italian champions for a ninth straight season, having gone back above Lazio with a 2-0 win over third-placed Inter Milan on Sunday.

How amazing would it be if we followed suit and Liverpool lost the title play-offs with West Brom and Leeds losing the promotion play-off.

• Haha 1

Forest owner also owns Olympiacos and there's now talk that their game against Wolves could be called off as a result and possibly Arsenal's game at the weekend, as Arsenal played Olympiacos last week. Going by that Millwall's game this weekend could be affected as well, as they played Forest on Friday after the Forest players had met with Marinakis. They might all go ahead, but it shows just how much disruption one person involved with a football club, contracting covid-19 could potentially cause.

Edited by useless

I think it may have to called off because it will get worse before it gets better and its likely to get to the stage where football here will have to be played in empty stadiums   or just called off.

if the the govt are telling people soon to isolate themselves if they have so much as a cough. Football is not w priority anymore 

Edited by PaulC

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I cant imagine UEFA will be too chuffed having to pay back all the flight and hotels that people have purchased

I can see an easy solution to this that they'll enjoy. They don't. 

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I can see an easy solution to this that they'll enjoy. They don't. 

Yeah if they don't give travel and hotel refunds when they make teams play behind closed doors due to things like their own bans thanks to Racism then they won't be doing it for this either

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the derby game dortmund vs schalke at the weekend is behind closed doors whilst bayern play hertha in a full stadium

the moaning about fairness has begun here, if Dortmund don't win I can imagine it will be ramped up

Its Union vs Bayern, will be a partisan Union crowd

Ignoring the source and taking the numbers as ball part.

Coronavirus crisis clobbers the FA with insurance shortfall to cost £3MILLION PER GAME if they are cancelled or staged behind closed doors

• The FA's insurance policies don't cover public health epidemics like coronavirus
  • FA face significant losses if games are cancelled or played behind closed doors  
  • Sportsmail understands it would leave the FA with liabilities of £3m per match

The FA face multi-million pound losses if they are forced to cancel matches or stage them behind closed doors due to the coronavirus as their insurance policies do not cover public health epidemics.

Sportsmail has learned that the governing body do not have 'loss of profits' insurance for cancellations caused by what insurers deem to be force majeure or 'acts of God', which will leave them with liabilities of around £3million per game for any fixtures called off on Government advice.

England's friendly against Italy on March 27 is expected to be cancelled due to all 60 million inhabitants of the visiting country being placed under quarantine, and a number of other major events scheduled to take place at Wembley later this season are also under threat, including the semi-finals and final of the European Championship. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8097663/Coronavirus-crisis-clobbers-FA-insurance-shortfall-cost-3m-game.html

• Thanks 1

Getafe refusing to travel to Italy to face Inter in the Europa league. Can't say I blame them.

Wonder how UEFA will handle it, easiest thing would be to move or cancel the game but UEFA being UEFA they might make an even bigger deal out of it and punish Getafe.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Getafe refusing to travel to Italy to face Inter in the Europa league. Can't say I blame them.

Wonder how UEFA will handle it, easiest thing would be to move or cancel the game but UEFA being UEFA they might make an even bigger deal out of it and punish Getafe.

Wolves seem pissed about the Olympiakos game going ahead

Just now, Zatman said:

Wolves seem pissed about the Olympiakos game going ahead

Surely that one will have to be cancelled and tons of their (Olympiacos) players needed to be quarantined?

Their owner is infected ffs, surely a lot of staff and even players might be sick.

52 minutes ago, sne said:

writer of that either doesn't understand the terminology or has purposefully skewed it to make it sound worse (i can guess at which...)

Â