Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Without wanting to jinx things, after Watkins signs we do still need a right winger and either a central midfielder or defensive midfielder depending on where Dean plans to play Luiz.

Who are those signings going to be?

Watkins (Samatta, Wesley)

Grealish                 <right winger> (Trez, AEG)

Luiz   McGinn (Conor)

<CDM> (Nakamba)

Buendia would be ideal for me,  and attainable.  I don't know enough about European footballers to know if there is someone similar out there at a similarly accessible club, but if anyone does please suggest (Not MR obviously)

As for CDM, I'm at a loss.

Long way to go, but I'm feeling way more optimistic than I was this time last week. 

Edited by MrBlack

Minor observation but there is definitely a link between how amateur a pundit/podcaster is and their use of the phrase during transfer discussions "people need to understand its not like playing Football Manager".

Do they imagine there are millions of fans slapping their hands to foreheads exclaiming "Why of course! Why didnt I see this before!?? Real football is different than a computer game!!??? Thank you wise one!"

Oafs.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Without wanting to jinx things, after Watkins signs we do still need a right winger and either a central midfielder or defensive midfielder depending on where Dean plans to play Luiz.

Who are those signings going to be?

Watkins (Samatta, Wesley)

Grealish                 <right winger> (Trez, AEG)

Luiz   McGinn (Conor)

<CDM> (Nakamba)

Buendia would be ideal for me,  and attainable.  I don't know enough about European footballers to know if there is someone similar out there at a similarly accessible club, but if anyone does please suggest (Not MR obviously)

As for CDM, I'm at a loss.

Long way to go, but I'm feeling way more optimistic than I was this time last week. 

Doesn't Grealish want to play number 8 not wide AM? We could opt for no CDM Luiz McGinn Grealish mid 3 and Watkins plus 2 AM

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Joronen of Brescia being linked to us, another keeper. He's actually pretty decent and was at FC Copenhagen in 18/19 so there's the Lange link for everyone demanding he starts signing loads of players this summer.

Pretty sure he has been linked before - pre Heaton as well

Edit: Yes we were.. 

According to Sky Italia’s Gianluca Di Marzio, FC Copenhagen goalkeeper Jesse Joronen has turned down a move to Aston Villa in order to join Brescia.

Though his name sounded familiar.

Edited by thabucks
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

£45M+ on a striker and right back from the second division feels all kinds of wrong to me.

If Watkins flops we will look like mugs, again.

Many of the best signings in PL last season were from Championship. People need to move on from the idea it's much worse quality. EFL teams have been signing loads of PL quality players recent seasons compared to say 5 years ago. You could throw a blanket over most PL teams outside top 6 and top 10 EFL teams. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

£45M+ on a striker and right back from the second division feels all kinds of wrong to me.

If Watkins flops we will look like mugs, again.

I'm not sure wether Championship players flops more than those coming from European Leagues.

To be honest, I usually look forward into looking at the Championship market. It's PL experienced which has get us to this point. It'd be hard to start naming them.

By the way, McCormack, Lansbury, Hogan....etc All failed with us at Championship level. So basically it was a recruiment issue rather than failing to step up. Wether they were used in a certain formation or didn't have the confidence to go to another enviroment or personality issues, but stepping up wasn't their main problem.

Sheff Utd are full of League One players let alone Championship. Our best players are Championship players (Grealish had played in PL long time ago, little games for Mings, non for McGinn), Yet our PL experienced were Elmo and Taylor who know wants.

• Like 2

I just had an idea..... dangerous I know.

We could sell Samatta this summer, I'm sure someone would pay half what we paid for him so circa 5m.

How about bringing in Batshuayi? High wages no doubt I would be surprised if he was currently on less than 80k a week, however the fee's being talked about are very low and you would think out of Wesley, Batshuayi and Watkins (even though I don't want to pay 33m for him) we would have a striker who will score 15 goals in a season with two competent back ups....

Thoughts? 

Edit...

Just looking up his stats on transfermarkt and his stats across the leagues he has played in are surprisingly similar it looks like he just hasn't had enough game time.

All minutes per goal

England  121
France    147

Germany 120

The only place he didn't do well on that metric was Spain where he scored once in 518 mins

268 appearances with 151 goal involvements in his career to date.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/michy-batshuayi/profil/spieler/179184

Edited by paul514
adding a link

26 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I'm not sure wether Championship players flops more than those coming from European Leagues.

To be honest, I usually look forward into looking at the Championship market. It's PL experienced which has get us to this point. It'd be hard to start naming them.

By the way, McCormack, Lansbury, Hogan....etc All failed with us at Championship level. So basically it was a recruiment issue rather than failing to step up. Wether they were used in a certain formation or didn't have the confidence to go to another enviroment or personality issues, but stepping up wasn't their main problem.

Sheff Utd are full of League One players let alone Championship. Our best players are Championship players (Grealish had played in PL long time ago, little games for Mings, non for McGinn), Yet our PL experienced were Elmo and Taylor who know wants.

I would have thought less championship players flop than foreign imports when you are looking at the players who are signed for say 10m plus.

I don't think it would be fair to include the cheap ones as they were likely only ever brought to fill the squad of a club.

Edited by paul514

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Who else do you think should leave the club this summer? I'm happy with everyone in the squad staying if I'm honest, good to have depth and continuity, good team spirit. Other than goalkeeper position. I really think we need to shift 2 keepers if we're signing one, maybe even if we aren't. Nyland will go for free next summer if we don't sell and Kalinic is done here. 

I'd like a few of the younger players to get out on full season loans for experience, Davis, Ramsey etc. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Who else do you think should leave the club this summer? I'm happy with everyone in the squad staying if I'm honest, good to have depth and continuity, good team spirit. Other than goalkeeper position. I really think we need to shift 2 keepers if we're signing one, maybe even if we aren't. Nyland will go for free next summer if we don't sell and Kalinic is done here. 

I'd like a few of the younger players to get out on full season loans for experience, Davis, Ramsey etc. 

I have two lists

These should go regardless....
Nyland, Kalinic, Lansbury, Jota, Hogan.

These should go if we get another in their position

Taylor, Elmo, Engels, Samatta (if we sign two strikers)

I'd loan out any of our kids to League 1 and the Championship

Edited by paul514

44 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I would have thought less championship players flop than foreign imports when you are looking at the players who are signed for say 10m plus.

I don't think it would be fair to include the cheap ones as they were likely only ever brought to fill the squad of a club.

The Championship is a good league with some talented players coming there every season. It's easier to attract players from there as usually the top teams don't look down there (and if they did, they don't give a proper chance). To be honest, I think buying from the Championship alone could build a very good team (although I'd like us to improve our scouting and try to get players from Europe too), but for example, We could've had: Konsa, Webster, Maupay, Benrahma, Philips, Bowen, Johnstone last season. All of those are quality players. All of those would've started for us last season (apart from one of Webster/Konsa).

12 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The Championship is a good league with some talented players coming there every season. It's easier to attract players from there as usually the top teams don't look down there (and if they did, they don't give a proper chance). To be honest, I think buying from the Championship alone could build a very good team (although I'd like us to improve our scouting and try to get players from Europe too), but for example, We could've had: Konsa, Webster, Maupay, Benrahma, Philips, Bowen, Johnstone last season. All of those are quality players. All of those would've started for us last season (apart from one of Webster/Konsa).

Yep I still haven’t forgotten about Johnstone either, he was really good for us.

5 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I don't think the Josh King bit was posturing. I think that's legit and could still happen. King and Watkins don't cancel each other out. There's room for both.

King would give us different thing, pace and tricky for a striker. If we can complement it with Benrahma or Rashica then I think we had a huge summe. Probably a DCM then we're a totally different team!

15 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

King would give us different thing, pace and tricky for a striker. If we can complement it with Benrahma or Rashica then I think we had a huge summe. Probably a DCM then we're a totally different team!

Douglas Luiz will be playing defensive mid with Nakamba as backup. We perhaps need another more attacking CM alongside McGinn if Grealish is being kept out wide left. If we sign two strikers (eg King and Watkins) then you might see Grealish drop into central midfield with a front 3 of Trez, King and Watkins.

personally I don’t think we will sign both a number 8 and another striker, and whichever we bring in will tell you where Grealish will play

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I just had an idea..... dangerous I know.

We could sell Samatta this summer, I'm sure someone would pay half what we paid for him so circa 5m.

How about bringing in Batshuayi? High wages no doubt I would be surprised if he was currently on less than 80k a week, however the fee's being talked about are very low and you would think out of Wesley, Batshuayi and Watkins (even though I don't want to pay 33m for him) we would have a striker who will score 15 goals in a season with two competent back ups....

Thoughts? 

Edit...

Just looking up his stats on transfermarkt and his stats across the leagues he has played in are surprisingly similar it looks like he just hasn't had enough game time.

All minutes per goal

England  121
France    147

Germany 120

The only place he didn't do well on that metric was Spain where he scored once in 518 mins

268 appearances with 151 goal involvements in his career to date.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/michy-batshuayi/profil/spieler/179184

Batshuayi going on loan to Chelsea is the word. Samatta wasn't right in Project Restart after showing glimpses. 2 goals in friendlies so far. Ridiculous to write him off already. 

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Batshuayi going on loan to Chelsea is the word. Samatta wasn't right in Project Restart after showing glimpses. 2 goals in friendlies so far. Ridiculous to write him off already. 

Yes I have seen he may go on loan to Crystal Palace.

I am not writing off Samatta I would be happy for him to be third choice its just if this lad is going cheap it may be a good opportunity to improve.