Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

So looks like the following could be goers so far.

£14m Cash (not including add ons)

£28m Watkins

£16m King

£15m Martinez 

Brings is to £73m spent so far. If there’s any truth in £100m figure it’d give us £27m left to spend on a RW and a CM. 

30 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I agree that we seem to have been burned by last summer's approach, and Smith seems to be shopping in the department he knows best - the Championship. But I don't think there's anything wrong with buying foreign players - last summer we just happened to buy poor foreign players! I don't care if we sign players from Brazil or Brentford as long as they're good, but the fact remains that English players are incredibly overpriced in today's market, and if after bringing in a new recruitment team the best we can do is blow the best part of £50m on 2 players who've never played in a top flight, nor made an international appearance at any age grade, I'm very worried

Agree there's nothing wrong with signing foreign players, but in a condensed window, signing players who don't have to move countries, learn the language, uproot their families - essentially settle - is probably worth the extra cost. No guarantees, but it lessens the risk. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Not good enough. Still very light in my view. God forbid Dougie gets injured! I love SJM but I do worry about his fitness, carrying that arse of his around would be tiring; I know, I've got one.

Unless Nakamba has improved we need 2 more in. The best Viera type we can get and someone to rotate with SJM.

I think Nakamba will develop. Seen enough in him. Don't really get the hate.

Regardless cannot see that happening without serious outgoings and upheaval. Squad would be way too big. People talking of GK, CB, 2xCM, Winger and 2 ST/wide forwards and then competition LB. That's pushing 9 signings when you include Cash. We'd have 4 senior GKs, 5 senior CBs, 3 senior RBs, 3 seniors LBs, 7 senior CMs, 5 senior Wingers (incl Grealish) and 6 senior ST/Wide forwards. 33 man senior squad. Unless people are talking of offloading; Nyland, Kalinic, Engels, Guilbert, Taylor, Nakamba, Lansbury, Jota, Hogan and Davis. I can only see few of them going finding willing partners. Besides many are solid squad players (Engles, Guilbert, Taylor, Nakamba and Davis) coupled with the introduction of promising youngsters (Ramsey) into squad.

IMO we need quality winger, striker and cm to offer serious competition to last years starters. Maybe Gk, depending on Heaton. This is all. I'm more interested in outgoings beyond this. It creates bad moments to have senior players lingering about not involved.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I think Nakamba will develop. Seen enough in him. Don't really get the hate.

Regardless cannot see that happening without serious outgoings and upheaval. Squad would be way too big. People talking of GK, CB, 2xCM, Winger and 2 ST/wide forwards and then competition LB. That's pushing 9 signings when you include Cash. We'd have 4 senior GKs, 5 senior CBs, 3 senior RBs, 3 seniors LBs, 7 senior CMs, 5 senior Wingers (incl Grealish) and 6 senior ST/Wide forwards. 32 man senior squad. Unless people are talking of offloading; Nyland, Kalinic, Engels, Guilbert, Taylor, Nakamba, Lansbury, Jota, Hogan and Davis. I can only see few of them going finding willing partners. Besides many are solid squad players (Engles, Guilbert, Taylor, Nakamba and Davis) coupled with the introduction of promising youngsters (Ramsey) into squad.

IMO we need quality winger, striker and cm to offer serious competition to last years starters. Maybe Gk, depending on Heaton. This is all. I'm more interested in outgoings beyond this. It creates bad moments to have senior players lingering about not involved.

Completely agree with this post. We survived and lists of positions folks expected us to fill was bonkers. Winger and striker were priorities. I’m still worried at the lack of wingers properly linked since word on Benrahama and Rashica went quiet.

Getting some of that dead wood out must be high on the agenda. Hogan, Kalinic and Lansbury must go. Once we get another winger, Jota can leave, too. 

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Completely agree with this post. We survived and lists of positions folks expected us to fill was bonkers. Winger and striker were priorities. I’m still worried at the lack of wingers properly linked since word on Benrahama and Rashica went quiet.

Getting some of that dead wood out must be high on the agenda. Hogan, Kalinic and Lansbury must go. Once we get another winger, Jota can leave, too. 

I can see us offloading Hogan and Kalinic but I see Lansbury seeing out his contract. I think we'll sign a winger (I mean we've got to right?!). If we were to sign Watkins and King, I'd be happy for Jota to go, must have some stock in the championship to get decent fee for him.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Nobody will take Lansbury off our hands unless we pay at least 50% of his wages. He's one of our top earners. 

Yes. I had visions of Wilson being similar in a season, if we'd had signed him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villaglint said:

So looks like the following could be goers so far.

£14m Cash (not including add ons)

£28m Watkins

£16m King

£15m Martinez 

Brings is to £73m spent so far. If there’s any truth in £100m figure it’d give us £27m left to spend on a RW and a CM. 

I reckon one or two of our signings could be loans with future fees locked down similar to what we did with Curtis Davies years ago. It will backload our outgoings until we’re further along in the FFP three year cycle.

Only posting this because I know how much @Delphinho123 cherishes them 😉

A comparison of Ollie Watkins in the Championship last season and Tammy with us two seasons ago. A rating of 50 is average. 

The numbers suggest that Tammy was great at the finishing aspects and getting shots off, but that Ollie is more involved in build-up as well as defending, and while he didn't shoot as often, Ollie took better quality shots. Which isn't a shock considering Brentford's approach.

Comp.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Looks like all you Doucoure fans can take him off your wishlist now that he’s gone to Everton.

Doesn't take a genius to notice, but they've had a great summer even without the James Rodriguez signing. Allan and Doucoure were their bigger needs. James is just icing on the cake.