Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I'm doing this on the assumption we stay up.  The spine should be Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Jack.  Targett and Gilbert are fine at full back and should improve but we need back ups/competition for them.  Engels and Ezri fine at centre half, probably could do with a top quality one to upgrade on Hause.  I think Douglas will get better and better the more experience he gets, Nakamba needs an upgrade for someone with his battling ability but who can pass it. 

We need a quality striker with Wes and Samatta as competition, then a winger or two. 

So top quality striker, centre half, winger, defensive midfielder, average £25m? £100m on them, then say £10m on each backup full back, gives us a bit of wriggle room on the odd extra 'project' player like Barry. 

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm doing this on the assumption we stay up.  The spine should be Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Jack.  Targett and Gilbert are fine at full back and should improve but we need back ups/competition for them.  Engels and Ezri fine at centre half, probably could do with a top quality one to upgrade on Hause.  I think Douglas will get better and better the more experience he gets, Nakamba needs an upgrade for someone with his battling ability but who can pass it. 

We need a quality striker with Wes and Samatta as competition, then a winger or two. 

So top quality striker, centre half, winger, defensive midfielder, average £25m? £100m on them, then say £10m on each backup full back, gives us a bit of wriggle room on the odd extra 'project' player like Barry. 

Where are we getting all this money from? We spent over £100m in the Summer

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm really intrigued about the summer if we stay up.  With the owners stated ambitions, we will see what they do, we will also see how good Purslow is with FFP. 

We could really transform the team and add some class i.e. 4 or 5 out that arent working and bring in 4 or 5 1st teamers that are a lot better than we have and 2-3 to strengthen depth of the squad.  Or we can just add more of the same to the team and continue with more development projects. 

I really hope it's at least somewhere in between where we add at least 2 class players that can help Jack.....I would really like that towering, dominant midfielder but would just like to improve.

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The money doesnt seem the problem it's FFP that seems to be the problem, we need Purslow magic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Another shitload of TV money and some of the wealthiest owners in Football.

• Like 1

Henri Lansbury
Neil Taylor
Jota
Lovre Kalinic
James Chester (contract expires in the summer)
James Bree
Scott Hogan
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (contract expires in the summer)
Ahmed Elmohamady
Conor Hourihane (new deal this season)
Matija Sarkic (contract expires in the summer)
Keinan Davis (contract expires in the summer)
Andre Green (contract expires in the summer)
Callum O’Hare (contract expires in the summer)

That is the list that's floating around of potential exists it seems and I'd say that all of them could massively be improved on because of one reason or another.

The only one id keep around would be Hourihane because if his set pieces, hes aided us on many times and im gutted for the bloke that hes not getting minutes. I wouldn't put it past him being the one that did fetch some coin if he was to be sold, his free kicks are gold and to a team in the championship he could be massive and I'd bet most would come calling for his signature. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Henri Lansbury
Neil Taylor
Jota
Lovre Kalinic
James Chester (contract expires in the summer)
James Bree
Scott Hogan
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (contract expires in the summer)
Ahmed Elmohamady
Conor Hourihane (new deal this season)
Matija Sarkic (contract expires in the summer)
Keinan Davis (contract expires in the summer)
Andre Green (contract expires in the summer)
Callum O’Hare (contract expires in the summer)

That is the list that's floating around of potential exists it seems and I'd say that all of them could massively be improved on because of one reason or another.

The only one id keep around would be Hourihane because if his set pieces, hes aided us on many times and im gutted for the bloke that hes not getting minutes. I wouldn't put it past him being the one that did fetch some coin if he was to be sold, his free kicks are gold and to a team in the championship he could be massive and I'd bet most would come calling for his signature. 

Of that list, I'd keep Elmo, Conor, Sarkic and Davis to be honest...

Elmo is still useful as a right back and knows how to ping a ball into the box, Conor can still play and is a nifty option and Sarkic and Davis can still develop with us or be sent out on loan...

The rest are pretty much deadweight

Just now, nick76 said:

but why think like that?  I'm genuinely curious! 

He cant leave until the summer, he's got a longish contract with us, he's a Villa fan, the club are going in the right direction (from championship to PL).  We have rich owners that apparently have a plan, we have a great and experienced chairman, we have a really good manager (some are debating this), the premier league is wide open below 2nd place, we have the base and tradition to be a big club again and apart from Jack saying if we hadnt had got promoted he wouldnt be here (which could mean he was sold or that he'd want away - we dont know which) it all seems positive. 

There are only a few clubs that could afford him realistically and are they interested yet at the value we would be quoting is debatable and does he want to move just yet.  Players see other players moving too early and the impact it has on their career and Jack is still young and another season here, he knows will benefit him.....Haaland couldve gone to a big club but went to a mid sized club because he knew he still needed to develop however good they are....and it will mean rather than going to Man U this January he'll get a top club in his next move in most likely 18 months time.

The other thing is, we have to agree to sell him.  Yes players have the power these days but we still have him under contract so we still have a little power so if clubs dont pay the money he isnt going anywhere.

In the ideal world Jack stays and the board invests another 100mil (because that's at least what we need to spend for us to progress) and we are playing in Europe in the 22/23 season. I'd like to think the board does have a plan but I think to many fans are a little deluded if they think it's going to be instant gratification.  

Jack's has 5 years on Haaland there is no comparison between the two, Jack is a great player Haaland is phenomenal!! I know he's a Villa fan but Jack's ambitious and I wouldn't begrudge him a move he's the sort of talent that should be playing at a big club playing in the champions league he deserves to be there. Besides If we are following the so called Dortmund model isn't selling Jack exactly what we should be doing and reinvesting?

That last paragraph, everyone has there price and after the season he's having I think they will be lining up for him come the summer.

I truly hope he stays at Villa for his whole career, but I just can't see it I just don't think we will be able to offer him what he wants for a few years yet. Again just my opinion.

Just now, zab6359 said:

In the ideal world Jack stays and the board invests another 100mil (because that's at least what we need to spend for us to progress) and we are playing in Europe in the 22/23 season. I'd like to think the board does have a plan but I think to many fans are a little deluded if they think it's going to be instant gratification.  

Jack's has 5 years on Haaland there is no comparison between the two, Jack is a great player Haaland is phenomenal!! I know he's a Villa fan but Jack's ambitious and I wouldn't begrudge him a move he's the sort of talent that should be playing at a big club playing in the champions league he deserves to be there. Besides If we are following the so called Dortmund model isn't selling Jack exactly what we should be doing and reinvesting?

That last paragraph, everyone has there price and after the season he's having I think they will be lining up for him come the summer.

I truly hope he stays at Villa for his whole career, but I just can't see it I just don't think we will be able to offer him what he wants for a few years yet. Again just my opinion.

In an ideal world we win one game on March 1 and play in Europe in 2020/21 rather than wait three years :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Of that list, I'd keep Elmo, Conor, Sarkic and Davis to be honest...

Elmo is still useful as a right back and knows how to ping a ball into the box, Conor can still play and is a nifty option and Sarkic and Davis can still develop with us or be sent out on loan...

The rest are pretty much deadweight

I'd add O'Hare to your list.

If we stay up ohare has no role here

Neither does RHM

Sarkic I don't mind selling as long as put a buy back in

Hourihane should be replaced, so should lansbury, Drinkwater loan will end, wingers need upgrading, and we need a back up RB and another striker

So that's a summer with around 6 players and probably pushing £100m and that's assuming we keep grealish 

IF we stay up we need quality over quantity.
3/4 keys players of higher quality I reckon to compete for a place in the starting IX and maybe one or two prospects. 

I can’t see us being able to get Phillips if leeds fall apart as per usual... He will have the bigger clubs after him. Benrahma, Muriqi and Rashica may be in the same bracket sadly. 

Wouldn’t be adverse to Sorloth .. a striker failing at palace shouldn’t be used as a stick to beat him with especially under Woy... Sorloth/Muriqi Wesley & Samatta would give us options, depth and quality... Add Phillips & Benrahma/Rashica to the midfield. I’d like us to go for Joe Rodon from Swansea for CB. 2 new full backs would be nice to support Guilbert & Targett but don’t know anything about Robinson from Wigan at LB and think we could of missed a truck by not getting g Tariq Lamptey from Chelsea - a young RB.

Just need to stay up first ! 

50 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought FFP only applied in The Championship?

Nope, Premier League and European Competitions as well. As far as I can find, permitted losses are £105m over a rolling 3-year period if the owners cover losses, or £15m if not.
Why do you think we've "only" spent what we have? Our owners are loaded.

I think if we stay up we need to look at evolution rather than revolution. For whatever people want to say about our current squad, at the start of next season the players will have had a year of playing together, and it's not uncommon for players that are new to the league to have a better second season. For that reason I think signing 7 or 8 players we'd expect to be regular starters would be more disruptive than beneficial. If we secure Premier League safety we should shed some of the players who don't really add to the team (Lansbury, Jota, Taylor etc) and just look to sign a couple of squad players, along with 3 or 4 quality first teamers. For me I'd like to see us spend the tv money on a new creative wide player, preferably with pace, another energetic centre mid to compliment McGinn (and be an option if McGinn is injured so we don't have to change formation) and a top centre back. Then bring in another forward and left back as competition for the first choice players. With another year of tv money I don't see any reason why we couldn't afford to spend sizeable amounts of money on the squad, and if we spent similar to last summer but on less players, we can hopefully improve the quality of the starting line up. Also it would hopefully mean Grealish stays as well!

Think we'll need almost a similar window like in the summer to really push on, but obviously that won't happen as it's not possible to do in 1 window considering the players we'll need will be one tier better and thus more expensive. It will take time, more than just another window. Obviously need to stay up first to do so.

Would obviously be delighted if some of them hit a development spike but realistically a lot of the players in the current starting 11 will need to be demoted to squad players. Engels, Hause, Konsa, Guilbert, Targett, Trez, El Ghazi, Luiz, Nakamba, McGinn (Wes) all have development potential but at least a few will need to be upgraded upon.

Trimming the unnecessary fat mentioned in the posts above from the squad will leave us with a solid starting point but also with a lot to do.

Just gotta pray we stay up and then the summer will be really interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We just spent our TV money early, I think you get about £130m just for coming last.  If we stay up then I assume Wes and Nassef will do it again as they have the cash to give out in advance of getting the money from the PL. 

• Like 2