Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

McGinn has been a success in the league we can’t judge him on the period he was carrying and recovering from an injury.

cat copy GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

To be fair it is hard to judge McGinn at all in the premier considering his injury before lockdown he was on fire at the start then went cool so it was a mix bag, then after lockdown he was cool because of his injury then started to heat up in final few games.

All in all McGinn has definitely been worth having on field because he has had an influence in games even when people said he was quiet in the game. Some people think players are quiet or missing in a game because they are not getting large possession percentages, not seen on the ball for huge parts of the game. They then go forget about the quick passes, quick runs, interceptions so on and players on here and social media get a bad game automatically despite having done things in other ways on the field. I think McGinn has been pretty darn good for us and theres been times when even Grealish had not done much in games and McGinn took up the slack.

I think our points total before his injury, and after his return compared to what we earned when he was out are a good indicator that he's an effective player in this league. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think our points total before his injury, and after his return compared to what we earned when he was out are a good indicator that he's an effective player in this league. 

That's a pretty simplistic way to look at it considering quite a lot of other stuff happened in the few months before he came back.

Fwiw I do think he's a good player in the league but I didn't think he looked anywhere near fit enough until a few games before the end.

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Noooooo, the press are updating us on ever step

Ollie Watkins is on villa’s list

aston villa are looking at Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa are having a cuppa tea and a chat about Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa are interested in Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa are enquiring about Ollie Watkins 

Ollie Watkins seems to want a move a premier league club and Aston Villa are in the lead, with Sheffield United and Leeds in the running.

Aston Villa are preparing a bid for Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa are submitting a bid for Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa are near to submitting the bid for Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa are about to bid £18m for Brentford striker Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa have placed a bid for £18m to sign Brentford striker Ollie Watkins

This is what Aston Villa’s line up would look like if they sign key signing Ollie Watkins. (purposefully puts a player in the wrong position to get comments)

Brentford have rejected Aston Villa’s £18m bid for Ollie Watkins 

Brentford have denied Ollie Watkins dream move to Aston Villa

Aston Villa are preparing an improved bid for Ollie Watkins.

Aston Villa’s improved bid for Ollie Watkins will be £20 plus add ons 

Aston Villa are about to submit their improved bid for Ollie Watkins  

Aston Villa is near to submitting their improved bid for Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa have submitted their Improved bid for Brentford star Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa and Brentford negotiate over the free for Ollie Watkins 

Aston Villa are a long way off from Brentford’s asking price for Ollie Watkins  

Ollie Watkins considers handing in a transfer request to force his dream move to Aston Villa 

Aston Villa and Brentford are close to a deal for England prospect Ollie Watkins 

The deal to bring future England star Ollie Watkins to Aston Villa is nearly agreed. 

Brentford have agreed a fee from Aston Villa to sign future England mega star Ollie Watkins. 

the fee for “the next Harry Kane” Ollie Watkins is believed to be £25m plus add ons 

Ollie Watkins is on his way to Bodymoor Heath for his medical with Aston Villa

Ollie Watkins has been seen at Aston Villa’s training ground, bodymoor Heath 

Ollie Watkins is having a medical prior to signing for Midlands team Aston Villa

Ollie Watkins completes his medical at Aston Villa

Aston Villa and Ollie Watkins negotiate personal terms

Aston Villa and Ollie Watkins near agreement on person terms.

Aston Villa and future Ballon D’or winner Ollie Watkins agree personal terms 

Aston Villa submit contracts to the premier league and the FA

Aston Villa signs the future footballing god Ollie Watkins from Brentford for a undisclosed fee, believed to be £30m plus add ons 

*skipping a few hundred*

Ollie Watkins scores 15 Goals on his debut Season for Aston Villa, under preforming from his touted “football god” status.

The press are the biggest bullshitters of them all.

I salute your dedication to writing all that out. 

beer salute GIF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

thank you, but I just copied all of Birmingham mail's headlines for the next 3 weeks

You’ve either got a time machine, you’re a visionary or you’re cynical. My money is on the third option 😎

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Another young lad for the academy by the sounds of it 👍🏼 

Expect ‘closing in’ to be less cheetah and Gazelle and more Voyager space satellite and the outer reaches of the solar system.

In other ‘news’ we’re not ‘preparing’ this week but ‘plotting’ which suggests we’re going backwards as plotting would surely come before preparing in most situations.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

How come he doesn’t say what? “Edouard wants to go to a club at the top of the table”?.... Because what’s the harm in saying a ‘lesser’ club, which is exactly what we are?

(Other than annoying some Villa fans who still think we’re the ‘great’ club that won things decades ago)

The irony is our fans do the same thing about so called lesser clubs all the time.

• Thanks 1

As it stands we're well short in the final third even numbers wise.

We have two fit out and out CFs. One last scored a goal for us in 2017.

We saw last season at the start with Davis and Kodj injured at same time we only had Wes who had to play every single minute of every single league game which wasn't ideal. And then he got injured at Burnley and we have to play pretty much all of January without an actual striker upfront.

I'd say a prem club that gets itself into that state needs to buy two strikers this summer. It's alright saying we play just one upfront but it's not like we have great wide options so one can always play out wide for a bit e.g. Watkins and we also need to remember the schedule is going to be crazy so far more rotation will be required and we'll also pick up injuries like we did last season so need to be ready for it.

Watkins AND Edouard makes sense to me then you put Samatta on bench and see if that can get him going and Wesley will perhaps be back in November so he'd be another bench option up to January.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChinlessWonder said:

Expect ‘closing in’ to be less cheetah and Gazelle and more Voyager space satellite and the outer reaches of the solar system.

In other ‘news’ we’re not ‘preparing’ this week but ‘plotting’ which suggests we’re going backwards as plotting would surely come before preparing in most situations.

I imagine it to be a sort of a gazelle chasing the space station kind of vibe 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As it stands we're well short in the final third even numbers wise.

We have two fit out and out CFs. One last scored a goal for us in 2017.

We saw last season at the start with Davis and Kodj injured at same time we only had Wes who had to play every single minute of every single league game which wasn't ideal. And then he got injured at Burnley and we have to play pretty much all of January without an actual striker upfront.

I'd say a prem club that gets itself into that state needs to buy two strikers this summer. It's alright saying we play just one upfront but it's not like we have great wide options so one can always play out wide for a bit e.g. Watkins and we also need to remember the schedule is going to be crazy so far more rotation will be required and we'll also pick up injuries like we did last season so need to be ready for it.

Watkins AND Edouard makes sense to me then you put Samatta on bench and see if that can get him going and Wesley will perhaps be back in November so he'd be another bench option up to January.

The season looks set to be very injury inducing, this is why it's key we don't release any existing first team players. They will all be needed at some point this season,  unless we buy 8+ new players,  and i'm very against that level of turnover.

Signing a striker (Edouard?) and a forward that can play across the front three (Watkins?) makes a lot of sense, and is really the minimum we need offensively.  A dedicated right winger on top would be perfect.  Throw in a CM and a GK assuming we don't keep Reina and that's your 5 minimum.

Ideally one or two more for me, with what we'll be allowed to spend from an FFP perspective, otherwise we're sacrificing quality and/or making too many changes in one season.

• Like 2

We're o.k for keepers short term with Heaton back. Probably look at that next summer for a more long term option (same as FBs). This summer we simply have to find better options in final third and being pretty greedy I'd like another DM and CB in although I think those two could wait until January.

Let's not forget it's a shorter timeframe between the two windows than in normal seasons given it shuts on October 1st.

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The season looks set to be very injury inducing, this is why it's key we don't release any existing first team players. They will all be needed at some point this season,  unless we buy 8+ new players,  and i'm very against that level of turnover.

Signing a striker (Edouard?) and a forward that can play across the front three (Watkins?) makes a lot of sense, and is really the minimum we need offensively.  A dedicated right winger on top would be perfect.  Throw in a CM and a GK assuming we don't keep Reina and that's your 5 minimum.

Ideally one or two more for me, with what we'll be allowed to spend from an FFP perspective, otherwise we're sacrificing quality and/or making too many changes in one season.

Agreed but id like a centre half also

• Like 1

I think last week there was some talk of MLS players  after the McKennie link and likes of Jozef Martinez mentioned. Anyway was watching Los Angeles play LA Galaxy last night and one who really impressed me was Christian Pavon. Incredibly quick and skilful wide player who was a great outlet on counter attack which is exactly the sort we're missing. I remember him starting games for Argentina in last WC so this isn't a guy who's had limited top level experience, probably a surprise he went to MLS in first place but more latin American players are doing that now rather than coming straight to europe.

Given Rashica link seems dead now I think he'd a decent plan b option, I'd assume 10m or so would do the trick as he's on loan to Galaxy from Boca Juniors who always sell for that type of money.

Edited by VillaChris

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Linked with the centre back Omar Colley

Played in Sweden a bunch of years ago. Not watched him much for Sampdoria but he looked fairly solid in the games I did see.

Tall and strong but I was hoping we'd aim a bit higher tbh.