Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

I don't think you'll find many good managers "packing the midfield" these days as a tactic, the game has moved on significantly in the last few years, whilst fans discussion hasn't.

Pre lockdown we were looking to be much more expansive, playing on the break, with quick transitions and trying to create overloads in key attacking positions. More often than not with players cutting in from the wings or arriving late from midfield to try and score. Hence why Wesley not scoring a massive amount wasn't an issue, as he was designated as more of a target and link up man in that system for the wingers and midfield. That however meant we were left vulnerable in the space we left behind when they pushed up 

Defensively, again we didn't look to pack the midfield, but actually packed the edge of the box, with the midfield dropping to just in front of defence, and our wing backs and wingers coming in narrow, allowing space in front and down the wings,  but keeping things very tight and congested in the middle. This allowed a lot of shots and crosses to be hit in, but meant most got blocked with little danger. Hence why we had so many shots against last season.

With a bit more quality and less mistakes it would have worked better and we'd have been in a better position in the league and wouldn't have changed things during the lockdown break.

We needed that Plan B, and I think we'll use it quite a bit next season too, but with the players we are getting in,  we should see a bit more of a return to the more expansive game we played earlier last season. 

Totally agree with all this......I also mentioned similar points during the season...the midfield dropping to the edge of the box caused no end of problems as stated by you.

In terms of 'packing the midfield' i mean an extra bod, too many times there massive gaps between the defence and attack...especially if we had wingers who tended to be just wingers......almost a 5 5 formation at times...another bod in the middle might have given us an option of linking the two better rather than going long or out to wings which inevitably didn't always work...making a 20 yard pass rather than a 50 yard long ball.

Definitely need a plan B, hopefully with better players we can play in one or two formations depending on the game...but then we also need Smith to recognise this early on if its not working.

Lots of talk of midfielders. I think we need one because...

• Hourihane and Nakamba shouldn't be starting unless they've improved massively over the summer; they are part of plan B (need a goal) and plan C (need to protect a lead) from the bench in my opinion
  • Jack may play the CAM role, but may be deployed in the wide forward position again, so we need another player to retain the flexibility
  • McGinn runs around like a lunatic, and will need to be rotated/rested from time to time otherwise he will get burnt out, like he was before his injury last season
  • Luiz is still young, and was great for 10 nines; again we may need to rotate to keep him fresh, or if he has a loss of form
  • We're rich!

28 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

I don't think you'll find many good managers "packing the midfield" these days as a tactic, the game has moved on significantly in the last few years, whilst fans discussion hasn't.

Pre lockdown we were looking to be much more expansive, playing on the break, with quick transitions and trying to create overloads in key attacking positions. More often than not with players cutting in from the wings or arriving late from midfield to try and score. Hence why Wesley not scoring a massive amount wasn't an issue, as he was designated as more of a target and link up man in that system for the wingers and midfield. That however meant we were left vulnerable in the space we left behind when they pushed up 

Defensively, again we didn't look to pack the midfield, but actually packed the edge of the box, with the midfield dropping to just in front of defence, and our wing backs and wingers coming in narrow, allowing space in front and down the wings,  but keeping things very tight and congested in the middle. This allowed a lot of shots and crosses to be hit in, but meant most got blocked with little danger. Hence why we had so many shots against last season.

With a bit more quality and less mistakes it would have worked better and we'd have been in a better position in the league and wouldn't have changed things during the lockdown break.

We needed that Plan B, and I think we'll use it quite a bit next season too, but with the players we are getting in,  we should see a bit more of a return to the more expansive game we played earlier last season. 

I am presuming you spelt expensive wrong😜😇⚽ ps..nice observation

1 hour ago, rayk said:

I agree a new LB isn’t a massive priority and if it had been then surprised we werent in the mix for Jamal Lewis who looks a bargain at £13.5m.

So Rico Henry will be £15m plus given the Brentford premium we have to pay.

I don't know where you get this premium payment from, you've be on too many click bait sites obviously, There is no premium for Villa or any other team, we set our price for a player as we are perfectly entitled to, (Just like Watkins) and if any club doesn't  want to pay it, they should just move on and look elsewhere.

This is how i hope we line up for the new season.

RW: Rashica, Buendia, Benrahma, King (or similar)

CM: Who knows? (no solid links - Ramsey?, lol i wish....)

Note: If we got Edouard (lol ye right), i would move Watkins to Right IF, and play Edouard as the Striker. (i think)

AV1.JPG

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

This is how i hope we line up for the new season.

RW: Rashica, Buendia, King (or similar)

CM: Who knows? (no solid links - Ramsey?, lol i wish....)

Note: If we got Edouard (lol ye right), i would move Watkins to Right IF, and play Edouard as the Striker. (i think)

AV1.JPG

I can’t look at this, the Wrong numbers are making my head spin

Confused Math GIF

why is there a 9 in midfield? 

8 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I can’t look at this, the Wrong numbers are making my head spin

Confused Math GIF

why is there a 9 in midfield? 

cus that how the website did the formation?, i will get you the contact email for the website so you can rightly complain about their incompetency.

I think we do push up the prices of Brentford players. I mean we were clearly part of the bidding war for Maupay but pulled out because it went to high.

If we had no interest in Watkins who really thinks he’d have gone for £28m base if only Sheff Utd or Burnley had been the only clubs interested?

Edited by rayk

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

Schick moved at the beginning of the week to Bayer Leverkusen.

No thanks to Origi.

Grealish should play further forward.

Didn’t realise he jumped over to Bayer... missed that. 

No thanks to Origi are you serious!!!!!! Hes a sharp finisher got famous champions league goals against elite sides .. quick and energetic if hes starting every match do you seriously think we will have many problems in attack ... NO we certainly wouldn’t i doubt we will be in any relegation battle if he were to join the attack .. we don't seem to analyse we just see him as a player that Liverpool dont start and disregard him.. he’s available for £20M go and get him. 

Yes id have Grealish further forward it isn’t exactly art school so it doesn’t look like it as much but yes id push him up. 

Benrahma or Rashica .. well it looks 70% probable that  Rashica may very well be an official Aston Villa player by next week... i wont complain with that one but we still need a forward in and around that right hand side. Benrahma seems more built for the premier league in terms of physicality and flair mind you 

16 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Why McGinn on subs bench, that's not right..

Our bench already looks brilliant there without Ghazi on it 🤣

Mcginn is one of our best players however the last part of the season he didnt look like he was involved in most of them games and  we could be gambling relying on him solely to come good again ... so id try and get a CM to compete with him not so much replace him in essence as i think Mcginn is a class player. I just think we can introduce him back in slowly as i dont want us to get murdered in the middle of the park. Even Luiz is risky as he was missing throughout the majority of the season .. we hope he continues where he left off and we shouldn’t write off nakamba he just needs coaching because he has the ability