Relegation thread

Knutserov13

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't fancy Hause, Engels and Konsa in the Championship. I'd rather take Chester back

They’re all better than Chester which is why Chester is on loan at relegation threatened Stoke

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't fancy Hause, Engels and Konsa in the Championship. I'd rather take Chester back

Insane. Hyperbole. I know bashing every single of our players is trendy right now but give your head a shake.

Hause played well for us there. Konsa got a PL move playing well there. Engels played well in 2 divisions better than the Championship. Yes, they've all had struggles this year but struggling in the best league in the world against some of the best players in the world doesn't mean you can rewrite history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Concerningly, the team that beat Derby in May last year is better than our current team. Obviously nothing we can do about SJM injury, but he is clearly better than Luiz or Drinkwater, Tuanzebe is better than Engels or Konsa (Hause was just a backup), Abraham was definitely better up top and I'd even take Adomah over Trezeguet. 

With the exception of the humiliating s***show against Southampton, I don't blame Deano for this; he doesn't have full control over who we signed, and as we did last time we were relegated, we spent a large sum of money on players who are

a) not very good

b) not ready to be relied upon as starters yet or

c) both.

Other than Heaton, our new players have been a bit of a disaster. It would be hard to say any of them have had a "good" season - Nakamba, Guilbert and Targett have shown their potential in flashes, but that's it. Suso is the person I blame for this. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Concerningly, the team that beat Derby in May last year is better than our current team. Obviously nothing we can do about SJM injury, but he is clearly better than Luiz or Drinkwater, Tuanzebe is better than Engels or Konsa (Hause was just a backup), Abraham was definitely better up top and I'd even take Adomah over Trezeguet. 

With the exception of the humiliating s***show against Southampton, I don't blame Deano for this; he doesn't have full control over who we signed, and as we did last time we were relegated, we spent a large sum of money on players who are

a) not very good

c) both.

Other than Heaton, our new players have been a bit of a disaster. It would be hard to say any of them have had a "good" season - Nakamba, Guilbert and Targett have shown their potential in flashes, but that's it. Suso is the person I blame for this. 

Smith and his appalling tactics and stubbornness to change playing style to suit the players is where it has gone wrong

Quite why he persists with a midfield short in numbers and two wide players who are crap is beyond me

Sleepwalking towards the championship like Remi Garde did and this has been going on for weeks now

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

a) not very good

c) both.

It really wasn’t, its just that most teams has a core of the team.

We stayed up for 3-4 years with a much worse squad than this. We just had a striker lifting us.

the only difference between now and the team that played Derby is Abraham (mainly), Tuanzebe (partially), the difference in quality of the league.

9 minutes ago, KHV said:

Smith and his appalling tactics and stubbornness to change playing style to suit the players is where it has gone wrong

Quite why he persists with a midfield short in numbers and two wide players who are crap is beyond me

Sleepwalking towards the championship like Remi Garde did and this has been going on for weeks now

What do you think a better manager would do with these players?

I agree heartily with the underlined.

i know this is unlikely, but if we kept our current squad in the championship, it would be a very good squad.

This squad isnt like the relegation year squad where we got annihilated, we are literally 1-2 good players away from a team capable of survival comfortably imo, its just a pity we dont currently have those 1-2 players i dont think, that would give us the extra 5% needed.

big if, but if we can keep this squad, then with an addition or two next year it could come back up im sure, but if we have to sell major assets, then it would be a lot more difficult, not due to the fact we couldn't spend money, because if we sold 2-4 of our best players we would be rolling in it, its more would we buy the right players to replace them.

I kinda hope (although i think its false hope), that if we got relegated NSWE would say "no-one is leaving, we are going straight back up and strengthening again once we get there".

I can see us losing Grealish regardless of whether we stay up or go down, but if we could keep all the others thats a good squad, then we need to reinvest the Grealish money to guarantee promotion.

if we could pursuade Mings & McGinn to give us one more season to get out of the champ, then add Samatta, Luiz, Jota, Nakamba, Targett, Engels, Konsa, Guilbert, Heaton, Wesley, Hause etc to the keep list, thats a quality squad for the championship, then just add a few players with the probable Grealish money. (1 x DM, 2 x forwards/wide players)

But eh.......thats assuming we invest the money in quality, which isnt guaranteed by any stretch.

worst case scenario if we had to sell Mings, Grealish, McGinn & Luiz, we would have prob £150m+ to fill in the below slots with sufficient quality:

Heaton

Guilbert - Engels - Konsa - Targett

NEW - Nakamba - NEW

NEW - Samatta - NEW

Squad/Sub Players: Steer, Nyland, Hause, Elmo, Hourihane, Trez, El Ghazi, Jota, Vassilev, Barry, Wesley, Davis.

Release/Sell: Taylor, Lansbury, Chester, Baston.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KHV said:

Dont forget that if Wesley had not got injured he would probably still be starting every game

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What do you think a better manager would do with these players?

I agree heartily with the underlined.

Have an extra man in midfield 

Train on how to defend

Not play Konsa or Hause

Not play Drinkwater 

Not play Trezeguet

Not play El Ghazi

Stop trying to play out of the back like we are the 1970 Brazil team

Be inspiration and able to man manage and motivate 

If something clearly isn’t working, change it. Don’t do the same thing week in week out hoping that something will eventually change

Not sleepwalk blindly into the championship like a clueless buffoon 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KHV said:

Train on how to defend

Not play Konsa or Hause

Not play Drinkwater 

Not play Trezeguet

Not play El Ghazi

If something clearly isn’t working, change it. Don’t do the same thing week in week out hoping that something will eventually change

1. I agree. The 5 at the back experiment should have ended weeks ago. Giving up a midfielder/attacker for a defender is madness. Hate 5 at the back.

2 Well maybe. But we just need to be set up in the correct team shape defensively. We're all over the place and have been all season. We are also the team that concede the most amount of goals on defensive set pieces. That's criminal.

3. Agreed. But i rate Chester above Engels. Mistake to let him go imo.

4. AGREED. Drinkwater is washed up and offers nothing.

5. Trezeguet isn't good but we aren't blessed with wingers. You proposing us playing a diamond formation?

6. Same as point above

7. We are terribly naive, yes. It's stupid as hell.

8. Yep. Yet another problem i've got with Smith. Us downing tools comes down to the manager. How often does Wilder's teams not turn up?

9. Agreed, again.

10. Unfortunately Smith is a Championship level coach and is dragging us all down with him.

Edited by villalad21

The biggest mistake that this club has been making for most of my years as a supporter, is recruitment of managers/head coaches. We have been/are absolutely terrible at it. It is the most important role at any club and yet we fail time and time again.

The only appointments that I have been happy with were Big Ron, MON and Houllier. The others have been uninspiring, high risk appointments that have bought nothing but misery ( I know GT did great first time around BL did pretty well but they were risky appointments all the same).

When we appointed Smith, I got some stick on here for being unsupportive of the appointment. He has actually done better than I thought he would but he was another huge risk. It all seems to be unraveling now and should we be surprised? He has never managed/ played in a major league. He has never managed/played at a big club. I am pretty sure that he will never manage at a big club again after us!

I was desperate for us to go for Rogers last time. Maybe he would not have come to us but Leeds got Bielsa. If you don’t ask, you don’t get! Whether we stay up or go down or win or lose the cup final, Smith needs to go. He is so far out of his depth it is embarrassing. There are no tactics. There are no  plans. There appears to be very little motivation. He will go up against Pep today. One of the greatest managers of all time. It is a very uneven playing field.

I actually think we have missed a massive opportunity this season. I think we have a squad of players capable of competing and staying in the league. The biggest failing of Smith is that he has a way of playing that he sticks to but he doesn’t have the players to play that system well. His job is to get the best out of what he has. Get a system and tactics that brings the best out of his players. Not shoe horn players into a system unsuited to them because it’s all he knows.

We could of course still win the cup and stay up this season but however unlikely that it is Smith must still be replaced. He is out of his depth. Championship or Premiership next season we should be able to compete but that will not happen with Smith in charge.

I know you may argue that we did compete in the Championship last year with Smith but we really didn’t. 10 game winning run aside we were pretty poor. We were lucky to beat WBA in the semi ( despite playing against 10 men in both legs which is a common weakness) and to beat Derby in the final. 
The next appointment is massive. It is so demoralising when the exec get it wrong. It just commits you to another cycle of disappointment. Inspiration please

28 minutes ago, KHV said:

Train on how to defend

Not play Konsa or Hause

Not play Drinkwater 

Not play Trezeguet

Not play El Ghazi

Also, start changing things up earlier when you can see things aren't working. This is the one that gets me the most becauuse I can't see any logic behind it. Smith never makes any changes earlier than 60minutes unless he is forced to duue to njuuries. He saw Southampton were mauling us in the first half, and he proceeds to not change a single thing for the start of the second half.