Generic Virus Thread

villakram

So did anyone partake in the applause, or hear their neighbours do so?

I was doing the bedtime routine for my kid at the time, so I didn’t. I wouldn’t have done if I had the opportunity (I’ve not taken part in one at all) but am curious if it was taken up as enthusiastically as it had previously been. I assume the colder climate will have some impact either way.

At the very real risk of being all virtue signaling, I donated a few quid to a healthcare workers family foundation instead.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I was doing the bedtime routine for my kid at the time, so I didn’t. I wouldn’t have done if I had the opportunity (I’ve not taken part in one at all) but am curious if it was taken up as enthusiastically as it had previously been. I assume the colder climate will have some impact either way.

At the very real risk of being all virtue signaling, I donated a few quid to a healthcare workers family foundation instead.

I didn’t hear anything. Me and the children did it a few times in the summer when we remembered. We won’t be bothering this time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I'd completely forgotten to be honest, and I don't think Mrs Sidcow was aware it was supposed to start again, I certainly wasn't going to tell her. 

I didn't hear a thing so I assume no one in my road did it. 

To be fair a lot of healthcare peole have said thanks but we'd just rather you all stuck to the rules. 

A tricky second album methinks. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The health care people I know are still struggling to spend all of the last load.

Wouldn't want their cup to run over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Phew. This has been the elephant in the room for a while. No-one seems to be talking about what happens if the Vaccine doesn't work, or if people are still dying having had the vaccine. I think one of the reasons is that we don't have the mental capacity to even comprehend what might happen if this virus continually mutates and beats our vaccines...

At some point in the future, if science loses this war, we may have to live with the virus and build more hospitals..

Have a nice weekend. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Phew. This has been the elephant in the room for a while. No-one seems to be talking about what happens if the Vaccine doesn't work, or if people are still dying having had the vaccine. I think one of the reasons is that we don't have the mental capacity to even comprehend what might happen if this virus continually mutates and beats our vaccines...

At some point in the future, if science loses this war, we may have to live with the virus and build more hospitals..

Have a nice weekend. 

I’m sure it’s been modelled already, it would be interesting to see what the do nothing scenario looks like (it won’t be feasible in the real world, just for interest).

A massive spike of transmissions, hospital admissions and deaths... but would it then level off as everyone would have either had the virus and either died or recover with a level of immunity? 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m sure it’s been modelled already, it would be interesting to see what the do nothing scenario looks like (it won’t be feasible in the real world, just for interest).

A massive spike of transmissions, hospital admissions and deaths... but would it then level off as everyone would have either had the virus and either died or recover with a level of immunity? 

People would naturally social distance. You don't need the government to tell you to do it when you are seeing people around you coming down with it. Have a look at the deaths resulting from the Spanish flu, that took 3 waves over two years so will probably follow a similar pattern to COVID. 

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

if people are still dying having had the vaccine

I think we all need to understand that, even if everything goes as well as it could, it's a racing certainty that there will be some people who get vaccinated and still catch Covid and subsequently die of it - though, obviously, these numbers should be small.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think we all need to understand that, even if everything goes as well as it could, it's a racing certainty that there will be some people who get vaccinated and still catch Covid and subsequently die of it - though, obviously, these numbers should be small.

This is true. I just hope the efficacy levels are as high as they say they are..

• Like 1

Moderna vaccine has been approved. As per the BBC. 
Third Covid vaccine approved in the UK

A third covid vaccine has been approved for use in the uk  

It is made by the company Moderna and works in a similar way to the Pfizer one that is already being offered on the NHS. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

COVID-19: 'Major incident' declared in London due to hospital pressure

The number of people on mechanical ventilators has risen by 42% - from 640 to 908 - in the week up to 6 January.

More than 800 patients a day are being admitted to London hospitals with COVID-19, the chief executive of NHS England, Sir Simon Stevens, warned at a Downing Street briefing on Thursday.

"That's the equivalent of a new St Thomas' hospital, full of COVID patients every day," he said.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-major-incident-declared-in-london-due-to-hospital-pressure-12182329

Â