Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Hope everyone enjoyed their day of Christmas mixing. Best wishes to nan.

Absolutely.  Numbers of this magnitude exist for no reason other than a tiny man is so desperate for people to like him that he couldn't emotionally deal with newspaper headlines about him cancelling their Christmas. 

I note that there's a major incident declared in London, yet Nightingale remains unused.

A week or two ago I posted that at least two Nightingale hospitals, including London, had been fully dismantled. Within a day or two of that, Handcock and Vallance publicly said that the Nightingale hospitals, including London were on standby, and ready to go if we need them.

I thought I may have had duff information. As an aside while talking to a colleague who was originally involved in establishing them I asked if he knew anything about efforts to re-equip London, and he knew nothing of it. They're **** empty.

We couldn't staff them, and it'd be perfectly reasonable to say "it was a bad idea, we haven't got staff, so the equipment is in use elsewhere", but what I can not stand is being lied to about those resources being on standby, ready to use if we need to. It's a lie. Unless I'm severely misinformed, at best, they're a big empty space for patients to be left on trolleys to die. 

31 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is there any comparisons between us and other comparable countries? Is anybody else’s rocketing up? 

Germany been over 1,000 last few days and 1,152 today. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Germany been over 1,000 last few days and 1,152 today. 

The NHS are doing a better job that the German health service. The mount of people dying per case is way higher in Germany

On the news its been said that the government is concerned that there are a lot more people venturing outside their homes than in Lockdown 1.

Could this possibly be because they have allowed a lot more businesses to remain open?

I agree that dentists, opticians, car repairs and some DIY supplies are pretty basic requirements.  

But do we really need McDonald's,  garden centres and Starbucks if people will die as a result? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

On the news its been said that the government is concerned that there are a lot more people venturing outside their homes than in Lockdown 1.

Could this possibly be because they have allowed a lot more businesses to remain open?

I agree that dentists, opticians, car repairs and some DIY supplies are pretty basic requirements.  

But do we really need McDonald's,  garden centres and Starbucks if people will die as a result? 

Exactly, lockdown or don’t lockdown but don’t put the onus on people to make that decision because we are all selfish in our own ways.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Absolutely, the list of “essential” shops is a joke. Poundland, Home Bargains, B&M Bargains, Costa coffee, other bakeries, all Chinese and Indian take aways, chip shops... the list goes on.

They still haven’t grasped that 1 hard lockdown is better for the economy that 26 half arsed ones.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Absolutely, the list of “essential” shops is a joke. Poundland, Home Bargains, B&M Bargains, Costa coffee, other bakeries, all Chinese and Indian take aways, chip shops... the list goes on.

They still haven’t grasped that 1 hard lockdown is better for the economy that 26 half arsed ones.

You've fallen into the trap of actually believing they actually care about the economy

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

You've fallen into the trap of actually believing they actually care about the economy

Well yes, it’s partially thinking about the economy. They are keeping these places open so that they don’t have to give them money if they are told to close. I’m sure it would be cheaper overall to close 95% of things down for 4 weeks and then have a good place to start. Less sick people, less people in hospitals, less people dead. But as we all know, they are incapable of planning more than 4 hours ahead.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Well yes, it’s partially thinking about the economy. They are keeping these places open so that they don’t have to give them money if they are told to close. I’m sure it would be cheaper overall to close 95% of things down for 4 weeks and then have a good place to start. Less sick people, less people in hospitals, less people dead. But as we all know, they are incapable of planning more than 4 hours ahead.

No money to be made in all that. Won't someone please think of the investment opportunities!!!!!

I work in a small city and have been in the office throughout COVID.  In Lockdown 1 I could walk along the High Street and see no-one else.  Most people working in the centre actually got to know one another by name.  You could get 99% of what you genuinely needed and people coming into the centre seemed to be buying the basics.  

But in Lockdown 3 "click and collect" is legal and being exploited to the maximum. The "Olde Sweet Shop" has a mobile phone number on the window to ring to place orders.  He sits in the shop all day dishing out sweets purchased by people phoning from outside.  That's not very olde.  But its not just him.  The vape shop, the camera shop, several phone shops, CEX, the florist and 2 toy shops are doing the same.  Factor in the various coffee shops and takeaway food outlets and the MAJORITY of the shops are actually open.  

I have every sympathy for the people who work in these shops and they should be supported.  But a government feels being able to buy tulip bulbs is more important than the strain it causes on a predictably crumbling NHS. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

Some people are still going to offices because irresponsible businesses feel "we don't trust our staff" or "we don't want to pay for laptops or VPNs" means that the work "cannot" be done from home. Yet another lesson that companies cannot be trusted to do the right thing, and regulation and punitive fines are the only answer.

I’m booked in to get my tyres changed tomorrow (yes, the ones I planned to get done last week before I realised I didn’t have the locking wheel nut key) and the garage is in the town centre. I’m interested to see just how many people are wandering around defying stay at home orders.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

They will never do that but i think they should make it mandatory. 

Yep, the state should have total control over our bodies.

If you can’t trust the tory party to have ultimate control over your body, who can you trust?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m booked in to get my tyres changed tomorrow (yes, the ones I planned to get done last week before I realised I didn’t have the locking wheel nut key) and the garage is in the town centre. I’m interested to see just how many people are wandering around defying stay at home orders.

Hmm, I may need to take my poor old Aygo to a mechanic soon as I fear it won't last the lockdown.   I had the dreaded battery light turn on briefly during my trip back down from Birmingham just after Christmas and whilst taking the car around the internal car park where I live this evening (to give it a mini-run and to check things are OK) the light continually stays on.  Should I book the car into a local mechanic / garage (if open) or should I just wait and hope for the best?  

1 minute ago, trekka said:

Hmm, I may need to take my poor old Aygo to a mechanic soon as I fear it won't last the lockdown.   I had the dreaded battery light turn on briefly during my trip back down from Birmingham just after Christmas and whilst taking the car around the internal car park where I live this evening (to give it a mini-run and to check things are OK) the light continually stays on.  Should I book the car into a local mechanic / garage (if open) or should I just wait and hope for the best?  

Loose connection on the battery, battery may need renewing or alternator on the way out. You don't want it to be the last one. Get it checked out at least.

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Loose connection on the battery, battery may need renewing or alternator on the way out. You don't want it to be the last one. Get it checked out at least.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking.  I had a new battery last year so I'm sure it isn't that (and I've been careful to ensure it has runs). It could well be a loose connection on the battery so I'll take a look at that first thing :)

Â