Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Hmm, I may need to take my poor old Aygo to a mechanic soon as I fear it won't last the lockdown.   I had the dreaded battery light turn on briefly during my trip back down from Birmingham just after Christmas and whilst taking the car around the internal car park where I live this evening (to give it a mini-run and to check things are OK) the light continually stays on.  Should I book the car into a local mechanic / garage (if open) or should I just wait and hope for the best?  

The battery light most likely means that you’re using battery power when you should be using electricity from the alternator. 
Eventually your battery will go flat as it isn’t being recharged and therefore not start one day.

Get it looked at, they can diagnose it really quickly. Most garages like Halfords or Quickfit do a free battery check.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The battery light most likely means that you’re using battery power when you should be using electricity from the alternator. 
Eventually your battery will go flat as it isn’t being recharged and therefore not start one day.

Get it looked at, they can diagnose it really quickly. Most garages like Halfords or Quickfit do a free battery check.

Thanks - as I said to Bicks, I'm not sure it is the battery.  I had a new one fitted last year (from Halfords) and I'm careful to keep it topped-up through long runs up and down the motorway etc.  I'll definitely see a mechanic / garage though (keeping at a safe distance and obviously sanitising everything).   My gut feeling is that it is the battery connections (I only had an MOT a few weeks before Christmas, so potentially?).  We'll see.  I'm conscious that this isn't the "what's wrong with my car thread?" though but thanks for your help :). I just need to see if the local trustworthy garage a few miles from me is open for business.  Hopefully he isn't one of the business casualties of this bloody virus. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, trekka said:

Thanks - as I said to Bicks, I'm not sure it is the battery.  I had a new one fitted last year (from Halfords) and I'm careful to keep it topped-up through long runs up and down the motorway etc.  I'll definitely see a mechanic / garage though (keeping at a safe distance and obviously sanitising everything).   My gut feeling is that it is the battery connections (I only had an MOT a few weeks before Christmas, so potentially?).  We'll see.  I'm conscious that this isn't the "what's wrong with my car thread?" though but thanks for your help :). I just need to see if the local trustworthy garage a few miles from me is open for business.  Hopefully he isn't one of the business casualties of this bloody virus. 

Sounds very much like alternator if you have replaced the battery and the issue is back. They should be able to check the voltage when the engine is running to see if alternator is charging the battery or not.

• Like 2

@trekka Check that the alternator belt is tight and not slipping. Reasonably easy to adjust. With the car running, put a voltmeter across the battery terminals - if it reads appx 14 volts the alternator is OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But do we really need McDonald's,  garden centres and Starbucks if people will die as a result? 

I passed a drive thru Maccies today on the way to the supermarket and it was packed... must have been 40 cars queueing up. Not an essential journey is it? 

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

I passed a drive thru Maccies today on the way to the supermarket and it was packed... must have been 40 cars queueing up. Not an essential journey is it? 

I asked my lad earlier what he wanted for tea and he predictably said McDonalds... I said no chance on a Friday, it’ll be heaving. I’d bet big money it was.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

One for the @Davkausfiles

Derbyshire police were of course notably one of the more ridiculous forces last spring as well. Unfortunately for them, the words 'local area' do not appear in the legislation and are not defined, so there is no law against travelling to a place to exercise, however far from your house it is (and 5 miles isn't even close to being unreasonable, come on).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I asked my lad earlier what he wanted for tea and he predictably said McDonalds... I said no chance on a Friday, it’ll be heaving. I’d bet big money it was.

I went past about 3pm on the way to Morrisons. It wasn't blocking the main road like it has been before but busy. 

Supermarket was dead. 

LOL @ Derbyshire plods:

Covid: Fines reviewed after women 'surrounded by police'

'A police force that was criticised for its "intimidating" approach to two walkers is to review its lockdown fines policy.

Jessica Allen and Eliza Moore said they were surrounded by police after driving five miles from their home for a walk on Wednesday, and fined £200 each.

Derbyshire Police initially said driving to exercise was "not in the spirit" of lockdown.

But it now says new national guidelines mean it will review its position.

In a statement, the force said all of its fixed penalties issued during the new national lockdown will be reviewed.

[...]

The guidance said: "The Covid regulations which officers enforce and which enables them to issue FPNs [fixed penalty notices] for breaches, do not restrict the distance travelled for exercise."

The NPCC added that rather than issue fines for people who travel out of their local area "but are not breaching regulations, officers will encourage people to follow the guidance".

The force has now said it will be "aligning to adhere to this stance".'

more on link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-55594244?__twitter_impression=true

Translation: we don't have a **** clue what the law is so our bosses had to step in and explain it to us very very slowly. We will now rip up everything we have done and start again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, trekka said:

Hmm, I may need to take my poor old Aygo to a mechanic soon as I fear it won't last the lockdown.   I had the dreaded battery light turn on briefly during my trip back down from Birmingham just after Christmas and whilst taking the car around the internal car park where I live this evening (to give it a mini-run and to check things are OK) the light continually stays on.  Should I book the car into a local mechanic / garage (if open) or should I just wait and hope for the best?  

Check the fanbelt. It’s possible that it’s a really minor thing to sort.

• Like 1

I live on a VERY busy main road (the A65). During the first lockdown it was eerily deserted (so much so that I managed to go for a run down the middle of it!) This time? It's like there's no pandemic - constant stream of traffic. Lockdown? What lockdown? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I live on a VERY busy main road (the A65). During the first lockdown it was eerily deserted (so much so that I managed to go for a run down the middle of it!) This time? It's like there's no pandemic - constant stream of traffic. Lockdown? What lockdown? 

Different road, same story.

First lockdown, you could walk down the road like it was pedestrianised. This time, constant traffic all day.

• Like 2

Cabinet minister Jacob Rees-Mogg has been accused of ignoring the government’s guidance on travel in a “hypocritical” manner after he crossed tier boundaries to attend church.

The Commons leader was seen on Sunday attending St Mary’s catholic church in Glastonbury – which had been in tier 4 before another national lockdown came into force.

The Conservative MP travelled from home in his North East Somerset constituency, which had been in tier 3 prior to lockdown, to join the special “old rite” Latin mass.

Independent

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Different road, same story.

First lockdown, you could walk down the road like it was pedestrianised. This time, constant traffic all day.

Just back from getting tyres done. The town was surprisingly quiet, although it is still early.

Â