Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Yeah I’ve had six e-mails from my kid’s teacher in the past 24 hours (or so) offering support. In the process of scheduling a regular one to one zoom chat between my kid and her teacher while this is going on.

Plus, in the case of many, they’ll have their own kid(s) that will need attending to.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

@Rugeley Villa I am not a teacher so I haven’t got skin in this game but I know teachers and staff at schools and trust me they aren’t doing that. They are teaching still, over teams or face to face kids for key workers. They aren’t having any time off at all.  

As I replied to Stefan it was more towards one school in particular and there are many like it. Their handling first time round wasn’t great but expected to a degree as it was a shock to us all. This time round it’s the same again. Plenty of complaints towards the school , so it’s not just me and the missus who aren’t happy.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s meant to be a high scoring school but their preparation is terrible  

Ask yourself why their preparation is 'terrible' if the school is usually good. Could be to do with the amount of government u-turns?

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

but they have had months to organise for this .

No they haven't. Their guidance has flipped more times than I can count. As I mentioned earlier, my sister spent her Christmas break prepping and training for staff to deliver vaccines in the new year. Now they're closed* again and all of that work was for nothing. Is it a surprise it's a shambles?  

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Plenty are working their arses off, but to leave the teaching to the parents is wrong on many levels .

Not their choice is it?

Basically my argument is against schools that are not doing online teaching. 

Again not their choice. Aim your ire at the government and please retract your original statement because I found hugely offensive. 

* I asterisked 'closed' because they're not really. Most schools still have hundreds of kids attending.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Ask yourself why their preparation is 'terrible' if the school is usually good. Could be to do with the amount of government u-turns?

No they haven't. Their guidance has flipped more times than I can count. As I mentioned earlier, my sister spent her Christmas break prepping and training for staff to deliver vaccines in the new year. Now they're closed* again and all of that work was for nothing. Is it a surprise it's a shambles?  

Not their choice is it?

Again not their choice. Aim your ire at the government and please retract your original statement because I found hugely offensive. 

* I asterisked 'closed' because they're not really. Most schools still have hundreds of kids attending.

The governments constant u-turns, you’d think you would be more prepared for the unexpected surely?  Well this school in particular got found out pre COVID, but it still ranks high. The kids seem to do well there , and that’s all that counts isn’t it. Their handling compared to other so called lesser schools is not good . Why is it other schools in town have online teaching?  Ok you’ve got me with the directing the venom at the teachers themselves, but main heads at the school .....

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And the response from the community because of this shambles is to complain to the school?

Sorry, but that's absolutely shambolic, devoid of any empathy and humanity. The worst thing is, Rugeley will just go and vote Tory again next time too, and still direct so much ire and anger towards the school.

The teachers deserve better than your community.

Shit and good in every community , Stefan. No different round here to anywhere else mate .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t help but think @Rugeley Villa is well off the mark direct anger towards the school 1 day after being absolutely shafted by the politicians.

Cut them some slack, possibly ask them what you can do to help them.

We had months of lockdown first time round and it was terrible , but understandable to a degree. Same again this time round it looks . I suppose my judgement could be impaired by coming home to my partner who’s mental health has gone through the roof in a matter of days, but our school should be doing more to help parents teach from home. 

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The governments constant u-turns, you’d think you would be more prepared for the unexpected surely?  

This has to be a joke :D

So it isn't the government's fault, but the school's because they knew the government were shambolic and should have planned for the government's incompetence? :D 

Well this school in particular got found out pre COVID

What does this mean?

Their handling compared to other so called lesser schools is not good . Why is it other schools in town have online teaching?

Maybe they have less kids of key workers so can focus more teacher resource on it? Maybe they had no teachers infected? Maybe their staff's parents died of COVID so are off? They are SO many factors at play here. To say 'well, the shit school down the road are doing fine so why aren't we!!!' is just baffling, at best.

but man heads at the school .....

What were heads supposed to? Beside 'expecting the unexpected'? They were told pre christmas that they would open 4th Jan, then on the evening of the 5th Jan, were told to close. It is now 6th Jan. Should the heads pull all of their staff in for overtime to make sure they're ready to go, so they don't get complained to by spoiled, inhumane and frankly, entitled parents? 

My response here, above all else is to have some humanity and empathy, rather than blame the school for a situation well, well above their pay grade. I feel like people forget that teachers are human too.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

Shit and good in every community , Stefan. No different round here to anywhere else mate .

Yeah and this community decided to attack the school and teachers who are doing their absolute best, and often above and beyond what they're paid to do, during a global pandemic. Very little good to be found IMO.

Edited by StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This has to be a joke :D

So it isn't the government's fault, but the school's because they knew the government were shambolic and should have planned for the government's incompetence? :D 

What does this mean?

Maybe they have less kids of key workers so can focus more teacher resource on it? Maybe they had no teachers infected? Maybe their staff's parents died of COVID so are off? They are SO many factors at play here. To say 'well, the shit school down the road are doing fine so why aren't we!!!' is just baffling, at best.

What were heads supposed to? Beside 'expecting the unexpected'? They were told pre christmas that they would open 4th Jan, then on the evening of the 5th Jan, were told to close. It is now 6th Jan. Should the heads pull all of their staff in for overtime to make sure they're ready to go, so they don't get complained to by spoiled, inhumane and frankly, entitled parents? 

My response here, above all else is to have some humanity and empathy, rather than blame the school for a situation well, well above their pay grade. I feel like people forget that teachers are human too.

Of course the government needs to take a lot of blame, too. Why don’t we go another step back and blame all this mess on where it come from? Of course not, that would be silly and we’d go round in circles. I bet you’ve complained more about Tory government than you have China? 

• Confused 3
  • Shocked 1

We had months of lockdown first time round and it was terrible , but understandable to a degree. Same again this time round it looks . I suppose my judgement could be impaired by coming home to my partner who’s mental health has gone through the roof in a matter of days, but our school should be doing more to help parents teach from home. 

I can understand where you’re coming from to a degree. I get it’s not ideal as a parent and the situation is poor, I’m sure there is more than meets the eye regards to the teachers at your kids school.

my wife is a teacher, has worked even harder since the pandemic started doing online lessons, preparing worksheets, she even started her own YouTube channel and put lessons on there! Schools are getting guidance from government very late. (For anything to be implemented on a Monday, they’re getting the notice from gov on Friday night) Teachers unfortunately are getting the brunt of it all.

have you reached out to your kids school regarding work being set?

The end of England's lockdown will not happen with a "big bang" but will instead be a "gradual unwrapping", Boris Johnson has told MPs.

The prime minister made the comments in the Commons ahead of a retrospective vote later on the lockdown measures.

He said the legislation runs until 31 March to allow a "controlled" easing of restrictions back into local tiers.

31st March is a lot later than February half term usually sits.

Link

Of course the government needs to take a lot of blame, too. Why don’t we go another step back and blame all this mess on where it come from? Of course not, that would be silly and we’d go round in circles. I bet you’ve complained more about Tory government than you have China? 

China has absolutely nothing to do with your ignorant post about teachers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah and this community decided to attack the school and teachers who are doing their absolute best, and often above and beyond what they're paid to do, during a global pandemic. Very little good to be found IMO.

Pot calling kettle black here. You have a go at me directing anger at one school and you then have a go at the whole of Rugeley. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Pot calling kettle black here. You have a go at me directing anger at one school and you then have a go at the whole of Rugeley. 

Not even remotely the same.

Â