Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

It’s rare I diss any uk government. Not sure why I don’t tbf, but they have made a lot of mistakes , costly mistakes. There is also some understanding from my part Initially, and it must be hard governing this country at the moment. It’s hard at the best of times I imagine .

Putting that kind of stuff online for people to read during hard times like we have isn’t good. Ok it’s only a forum and only words but people still read and get effected by comments like that . A bad mood isn’t an excuse to come online to let off steam about such a sensitive subject. The NHS save lives and teachers help develop lives. I’ve tried home teaching, and my hat goes off to anyone who can teach. Can be horrible at times and they didn’t deserve that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Disgusting, truly disgusting. 

Teachers, not only working longer hours than most, also putting their lives on the line, have better things to do than read such petty, entitled bile.

I'm truly surprised you weren't told to go **** yourself by them.

It won't get said, but I can guarantee all teachers at any school at the moment will be gutted if complaints are coming in. And rightly think what a bunch of moaning words removed. 

There are so many reasons that the school might not offer live lessons right at this moment. 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Putting that kind of stuff online for people to read during hard times like we have isn’t good. Ok it’s only a forum and only words but people still read and get effected by comments like that . A bad mood isn’t an excuse to come online to let off steam about such a sensitive subject. The NHS save lives and teachers help develop lives. I’ve tried home teaching, and my hat goes off to anyone who can teach. Can be horrible at times and they didn’t deserve that. 

If you're not happy with what your school are offering, go on the Oak Academy website and use that. 

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Agreed and I doubt they take much away from it long term.

Personally,  I would keep them all engaged and as focused as possible but make it clear towards the end of the lockdown that every single child re-does the complete year as much as possible. They will never catch up,  not in a million years if they even try it.

Takes the pressure off and solves a few other problems at the same time.  They will have proper exams to work towards etc.

In theory you just need to increase the sizes of the reception classes.

Some lad I know put on FB that he said all kids/students should do an extra year at school/college to make up for the year missed . Not sure how that would work, but it’s potentially a good idea 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If you're not happy with what your school are offering, go on the Oak Academy website and use that. 

It’s not that I’m unhappy, I’ve just jumped the gun . Ideally it would be nice to have the teachers doing online classes , and it would help some parents, but maybe it’s not the be all and end all, and there’s some good points I’ve not thought about. At the end of the day I/we need to realise nothing is ideal at the moment. The missus will do what she can do and that’s that. The two are at an age where they can be left to it to a degree but the youngest needs constant help . They haven’t fell behind from first lockdown which was our worry, so I’m sure they won’t fall behind this time. Everyone in same boat. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

1 minute ago, Genie said:

So, Boris says in the TV address on Monday lockdown will run until February half term. Then about 36 hours later he’s making it law until 31st March.

At any given time, what Boris will do within 24 hours is a surprise even to him. 

One of my cats sometimes eats from his bowl, then he walks around the ground floor for 30 seconds, and seems surprised to find food still in his bowl once he's finished his circuit. That's basically Boris. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

So, Boris says in the TV address on Monday lockdown will run until February half term. Then about 36 hours later he’s making it law until 31st March.

The following day after announcement there were some news articles online saying lockdown until March at least which was confusing. Personally I think mid feb was being optimistic. If I had to bet I’d say April .

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s not that I’m unhappy, I’ve just jumped the gun . Ideally it would be nice to have the teachers doing online classes , and it would help some parents, but maybe it’s not the be all and end all, and there’s some good points I’ve not thought about. At the end of the day I/we need to realise nothing is ideal at the moment. The missus will do what she can do and that’s that. The two are at an age where they can be left to it to a degree but the youngest needs constant help . They haven’t fell behind from first lockdown which was our worry, so I’m sure they won’t fall behind this time. Everyone in same boat. 

I actually think schools should do some live teaching, I'm currently doing it. But right now, there are so many reasons why it isn't up and running. 

The government told us that primary schools were not closing so our focus was on normal lessons. Any anger you have should be at this government and remember it when you go to vote in a few years 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I actually think schools should do some live teaching, I'm currently doing it. But right now, there are so many reasons why it isn't up and running. 

The government told us that primary schools were not closing so our focus was on normal lessons. Any anger you have should be at this government and remember it when you go to vote in a few years 

Some online teaching would be great , but not sure 8 hours a day would be the right thing to do. A couple we know are mega strict with their kids regarding home teaching . They both work from home , and they make their kids do the full hours with their set morning break/dinner break. Personally don’t know how they mentally teach their kids for hours and do their own work what they are meant to do. I understand now that’s it’s not as simple as that at moment . Still think schools should have been prepared for this though, and had a back up plan ready waiting in case, regardless what government were saying. 

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The following day after announcement there were some news articles online saying lockdown until March at least which was confusing. Personally I think mid feb was being optimistic. If I had to bet I’d say April .

Me too. Just goes to show that he can lie/mislead the nation and it’s barely even a thing. Just Boris being Boris, take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

47 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I went OTT . Crap day at work, and came home to a stressful wife who’s had a drink to chill herself out, which has added stress to a stressful day. We’ve ended up arguing because my daughter wanted to carry on doing school stuff and I wrongly shouted at her. I then started F’ing and B’ing at the missus in front of the kids which we rarely argue like that anymore. I knew I’d gone OTT on here which put me in a bad mood , because I knew I was wrong and per usual opened my mouth without thinking first. Then the arguing happened and that made me feel even more angry with myself. It’s cost me £5 in the swear jar and the missus ain’t talking to me. I know teachers work hard, I’ve seen it first hand, and everyone is doing their best including parents. Having thought about it and took on board comments on here, I’ve came across not very nice at all, and I’m trying to be nicer this year. It’s a shit time for most. Just because I think there should be online teaching it doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do, it’s just my opinion. I’m sure the school has its own reasons why they ain’t not doing it and who am I to argue.

This ain’t backtracking and I never said those original comments to get a reaction. Stressful mood and took it out on teachers on here. At the end of the day things won’t run perfect and we have to get by best as we can . Feel bad about dissing teachers when like I said I know first hand how hard they work. Just a stressful time. I’m crap at politics too ha. 

Fwiw whilst I didn’t agree with all your posts I think some of the comments back to you were over the top and I can see how it could have wound you up. There’s ways to respectably disagree with people and explain why without patronising comments. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 1

Just now, Genie said:

Me too. Just goes to show that he can lie/mislead the nation and it’s barely even a thing. Just Boris being Boris, take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose , but I’m not sure why things are being said then days later it changes. I get the five days over Xmas thing. He ballsed up and he knew he shouldn’t have promised the nation that so had to back track, but we all know schools shouldn’t have reopened and some of the other stuff is baffling. I don’t hate him like most on here do, but Christ he’s confusing .

@Rugeley Villa do your kids use TTRockstars or purple mash? These are online maths sites made more fun. My kids have an account through their  school.

Obviously it’s early days but whilst there’s no online teacher led learning they have sent over a bunch of PDF’s with activities to do and set them activities on those 2 maths sites. It’s a reasonable mix of reading, writing, maths and problem solving. 
All they can do is keep the children’s brains ticking over until the restart. It’s not possible to really teach them new stuff.

Â