Generic Virus Thread

villakram

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's far from standard, and I applaud it. If the rate of infection is climbing at that local level, it's right that things are tightened up, and it should be done as swiftly as possible.

Compare this to "Ok, yes, masks are important, and you should wear them. In a couple of weeks". It's nice for them to show some **** urgency for a change, IMO.

They regularly introduce legislation (usually very poorly considered legislation) at the drop of a hat without care for the repercussions and it has caused all sorts of problems over the last few months. It is one of this government's biggest flaws.

In this situation it is arguable that urgency is necessary I agree, but they must have known that this was coming surely? I'm sure a better balance could be struck.

As Bickster says whether any of this will be enforced is another argument entirely of course.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You get to say fanny pack, so it evens itself out.

The times they say it... holding in the laughter is so difficult. Had a 68yr old professor who is the GF boss boasting about his fanny only last week... I went to get a refill!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Chronicle of an evening of chaos (notice the time stamps)...

It is, frankly, an absolute shower.

This, at 7am, is what the Government website says:

North West of England: local restrictions – what you can and cannot do

Find out what restrictions are in place if you live, work or travel in the North-West area and other affected areas.

...you should follow these rules when meeting people who you do not live with...

If you live in one of the affected areas, in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, you should not...

The government will pass new laws to enforce the changes to meeting people in private homes and gardens. The police will be able to take action against those that break these rules, including asking people to disperse and issuing fixed penalty notices (starting at £100 – halving to £50 if paid in the first 14 days – and doubling for subsequent offences).

What will be illegal?

It will be illegal for people who do not live together to meet in a private home or garden, except for limited exceptions to be set out in law. You should not host or visit people you do not live with, unless they are in your support bubble. If you live in the affected areas, you should not visit someone’s home or garden regardless of whether this is in or outside of the restricted area.

if you live in this area you should not host or visit friends and family in each other’s homes or gardens. It will shortly be illegal to do so, unless specific exemptions apply.

...more

It goes from can/cannot to should and should not and then says that new laws will be passed and doing something 'will be illegal' and then an indication that this something will shortly become illegal (and so isn't now).

As per the Goodall tweets, the move between guidance and restriction is a real issue. People need to know what actions will be contrary to the law and will get them in trouble with the Police/others and when this is the case. But it has been the same all the way though and will obviously continue to be the way in which the Government go about things. It's piss poor but it's obviously intentional.

Edited by snowychap
added missing link
  • Like 2

Not really sure what the confusion is.

"Muslims - don't meet your family tomorrow for the biggest holiday in your calendar. Instead spend the day getting ratted at the pub, and then get yourselves ready for your return to the office on Monday"

Perfectly clear. 

• Like 3

So you can go to the pub, but not with people you know from another house. But if those people just happen to go to the pub at the same time, you know, by coincidence, that should be OK, shouldn't it? 

If mask wearing and social distancing reduces the spread of COVID-19, you'd expect it to also reduce the incidence of the common cold, wouldn't you? I have a streaming head cold atm, so I just hope that whoever I caught it off didn't also have COVID-19. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Biggest night of the year for Muslims but those areas can’t celebrate it with other households. The government really outprick themselves at times. 

As per one of those Goodall tweets, it’s akin to the Government announcing on Twitter at 10pm on December 24th that they were criminalising going to a different house to your own, starting in two hours. 

• Like 1

It’s the script writers for shows like The Thick Of It, that’s who I feel sorry for. Where do they go with this to exaggerate the ridiculous side of things?

It’s basically killed political satire.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So you can go to the pub, but not with people you know from another house. But if those people just happen to go to the pub at the same time, you know, by coincidence, that should be OK, shouldn't it? 

The guidance is absolutely clear that the law might require you, or not, to not fail to not disobey or to adhere to the rules advice, depending whether protect yourself or not social groups and others indoors of 2 metres, with masks on if ordering a meal, but not for drinks vigilant.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s the script writers for shows like The Thick Of It, that’s who I feel sorry for. Where do they go with this to exaggerate the ridiculous side of things?

It’s basically killed political satire.

They should sue for plagiarism.

41 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We're supposed to be having next door round for a bbq this evening.

Think I still will.

Presumably you will be having the BBQ outdoors? In which case, I don't think you are even breaking the new rules*.

*as far as I can tell, this is not legal advice, and other appropriate legal disclaimers

Â