Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

*In a non-aggressive voice* can you say where you have seen that evidence?

The official stats had everywhere with an R below 1 a bit ago. Not now though. The chart on the government site also shows the start of an up tick in the past couple of days.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

The official stats had everywhere with an R below 1 a bit ago. Not now though. The chart on the government site also shows the start of an up tick in the past couple of days.

And is that because of people going to beaches?

Or is it because of other reduced measures like more workplaces opening up, increased public transport usage, &c.?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

And is that because of people going to beaches?

Or is it because of other reduced measures like more workplaces opening up, increased public transport usage, &c.?

Yes. :)

as HV and I were discussing, it’s not possible in the UK, because of lack of TTI, to tell to the level we need to. There is some correlation between easing things up, and in some areas a bit of a kink in the stats. The government is making a proper pigs ear of handling it all. They’re actually getting worse.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yes. :)

as HV and I were discussing, it’s not possible in the UK, because of lack of TTI, to tell to the level we need to. There is some correlation between easing things up, and in some areas a bit of a kink in the stats. The government is making a proper pigs ear of handling it all. They’re actually getting worse.

HV asked PaulC where he had seen the evidence to suggest that 'the R rate has risen already because of people going to beaches the weekend before' as was his claim in an earlier post.

That is the post to which you replied above.

As you say, the evidence is that there is an increase in the R number (I know I posted this the other day). This is not evidence that going to beaches the weekend before caused this increase for the reason you mention above.

Edited by snowychap

Ryanair refuses to cancel flights in face of 'stupid' quarantine rules

Ryanair will not cancel flights and plans to fly half-empty planes in July and August in the face of the Government's "stupid" quarantine plan, which came into force this morning. 

Michael O'Leary, Ryanair's chief executive, said: "Our bookings for July and August are running at about 50pc of where they would normally be this time of year.

"At the moment we're looking at something like a 50pc load factor compared to normal July/August where we'd be looking at 90-95pc."

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr O'Leary said the two-week isolation rule for arrivals was "stupid", adding that thousands of British families had already booked holidays because they "accept they won't be affected by the quarantine when they return home"....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/06/08/ryanair-refuses-cancel-flights-face-stupid-quarantine-rules/

1 hour ago, jim said:

55 deaths reported today, lowest it's been since before lockdown.

Good news indeed (though as you might know, Sundays and Mondays always have lower totals because of the reporting lag over the weekend).

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

We’ve just had a decorator in to do some work. I got chatting to him and it turns out he is a British Airways pilot who’s been furloughed and earning a bit of extra cash.

He made a lovely job of the landing......

get out GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

We’ve just had a decorator in to do some work. I got chatting to him and it turns out he is a British Airways pilot who’s been furloughed and earning a bit of extra cash.

He made a lovely job of the landing......

Reminds me of a friend of mine who quit his career as a gynaecologist to become a painter and decorator. He's been really busy through the lockdown as he's able to paint a whole hallway through the letterbox.

(Apologies if this is stolen from VT - I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it first).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A new study (not yet peer reviewed) of satellite imagery of Wuhan suggests that the virus may have originated as early as late August 2019.

Coronavirus: Satellite traffic images may suggest virus hit Wuhan earlier:

An apparent surge in traffic outside Wuhan hospitals from August 2019 may suggest the coronavirus hit the area earlier than reported, a study says.

Harvard researchers say satellite images show an increase in traffic outside five hospitals in the city from late August to December.

The traffic spike coincided with a rise in online searches for information on symptoms like "cough" and "diarrhoea".

China said the study was "ridiculous" and based on "superficial" information.

It is believed that the virus first appeared in China some time in November. Authorities reported a cluster of pneumonia cases with an unknown cause to the World Health Organization (WHO) on 31 December 2019.

"Clearly, there was some level of social disruption taking place well before what was previously identified as the start of the novel coronavirus pandemic", Dr John Brownstein, who led the research, told ABC news.

The study has not been peer-reviewed.

The plan for all primary school years in England to go back to school before the end of term is to be dropped by the government.

There had been an aim for all primary pupils to spend four weeks in school before the summer break.

But it is no longer thought to be feasible and instead schools will be given "flexibility" over whether or not to admit more pupils.

Head teachers' leaders said it had never been a practical possibility.

BBC

So it begins the post covid 19 savings. My manager says there has been talks between senior managers about nhs staff like myself may permanently work from home. Because of this they will be removing london waiting from public service workers wages. Thats (3.5k from our wages)

Fantastic 

So teachers were called cowards and the unions slandered in the press. Oh and look, they were right after all. 

I've also read that only 25% of reception, yr 1 and yr 6 kids actually went to school last week. 

This government are a **** shambles. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So teachers were called cowards and the unions slandered in the press. Oh and look, they were right after all. 

I've also read that only 25% of reception, yr 1 and yr 6 kids actually went to school last week. 

This government are a **** shambles. 

Seen all sort aimed at teachers. I was one, my sister is one. Why would anyone want to be one, when you have a target on your back? Nightmare stuff.

• Like 2

Â