Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

They don’t think that. Even the thickest of the thick don’t really believe it’s because of one incident, it’s just a narrative they are trying to spin to undermine a valid and legitimate protest. 

The same little Englander’s slagging off BLM were quite happily going to beaches, getting bladdered and doing the conga in their streets a couple of weeks ago. 

I can confirm that I’ve seen several posts that suggest the protests are because of 1 mans death. Some people are that thick/ignorant.

Edited by Genie

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Anyone sending their kids to school as of July?

If so, why?

If not, why?

I've been looking and I'm thinking it's best for my 5 year old to go back, based on the stats and measures being enforced.

But just wondering what others are thinking. 

No, we won't be sending ours back. Our youngest (based on current info) could go back in July but it would be for about 3 weeks only so we see little point. 

It's a risk vs reward thing for us. The risk is our youngster potentially catching the coronavirus and the reward is about 3 weeks of schooling (a lot of which we can do from home anyway). For that reason we'll see how things are going in September and reassess then.

My brother's kid went back last week and usually they had 30 kids in the class. 10 of those were supposed to be coming back but only 4 did! 

Good luck with the decision - it's a tricky one.

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

To my friends in the states that i speak with they dont even know there was a protest here! 

Perhaps they need to expand their information base, I hope these aren’t the same people that supply you with your YouTube Conspiracy channels?

Of the few dozen people I know of that live in the U.S. (via my nipper’s year in a U.S. Uni), every single one of them is aware of the protests around the world and happy to see it resonate and be supported.

We appear to mix in very different circles.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can confirm that I’ve seen several posts that suggest the protests are because of 1 mans death. Some people are that thick/ignorant.

Probably didn’t explain my point very well. I’m not denying people are saying it, there’s loads of clearings in the woods on Twitter saying the same, but they don’t really believe it, it’s just their attempt to weaken the BLM argument. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Perhaps there were, perhaps there weren't. Maybe there was a small protest which didn't gain the same kind of traction as these have - I don't know. Perhaps the weather was different, perhaps people cared less about the situation, perhaps there wasn't an 8:46 video of the thing which brought it directly to people's attention, perhaps the story was spun by the police in the same way that a lot of these stories are spun until there is obvious contradictory evidence produced?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, though. You're not trying to suggest that because there weren't global protests after the death of Dalian Atkinson that there shouldn't be global protests after the death of anyone else, are you?

My point is why now during the worst health crisis this country has experienced in any of our lifetimes. Would it have happened if there was no pandemic and 3 months of lockdown. Being locked in any boredom plays a major factor

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Of course not we all know that, but its the trigger point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

My point is why now during the worst health crisis this country has experienced in any of our lifetimes. Would it have happened if there was no pandemic and 3 months of lockdown. Being locked in any boredom plays a major factor

It needed a trigger and unfortunately it happened to be this particular death at this particular time.  Protesting en masse with no social distancing is going to have disastrous consequences to the R rate I'd have thought though which for me is utter stupidity. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xann said:

Worse than having your kids in a classroom, is it?

That's exactly how it should be done but there have been plenty of aerial photos of crowds not doing that.  I wonder how many masks got wet and became useless as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Why now when it’s not safe. It’s counterproductive anyway because there is so much anger about it from people living around me it can only heighten racial tensions. This is a long term thing that’s will take years to resolve why hold the protests during a pandemic. Why no protests when the police killed Dalian Atkinson?

I think a lot of people are furloughed/not working so they have more time to dedicate to causes like this. I think if football was on, pubs/cinemas/restaurants open, people on summer holidays and people working then it wouldn't have had so much response. 

• Like 1

I know its a bit tin hat but I can't help feeling the demonstrations (and the small percentage that turn violent) are a perfect distraction for the powers that be in this country. Its taken the spotlight off them and keeps the general population bickering/fighting between themselves.

Its the classic divide et impera 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know its a bit tin hat but I can't help feeling the demonstrations (and the small percentage that turn violent) are a perfect distraction for the powers that be in this country. Its taken the spotlight off them and keeps the general population bickering/fighting between themselves.

It does give them an excuse not to blame themselves if the R rate goes up 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think there's plenty of evidence from across the pond that the BLM leaders are trying very hard to keep the protests peaceful but that there are forces out there that are deliberately trying to ensure violence is provoked. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe it possible to be happening here too. 

I think we’re very lucky that yesterday was wet and windy.

Had it been a long balmy London evening it could have got a lot worse.

I’d suspect there are a lot of people out there waiting for any cause to use as an excuse to disrupt.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

My point is why now

Because this particular death happened just recently and, as other people have said and suggested, it's something that has tipped people over the edge - not least because of the footage of the incident and then how llaw enforcement and the US administration has reacted to the protests.

We must remember that some of the most high profile protests over the last couple of years (the NFL ones) have been decried by the US administration, (some) commentators, other US authority figures, &c. and this has left people with a limited range of options when something viewed as so egregious as the Floyd death happens.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Would it have happened if there was no pandemic and 3 months of lockdown.

Well, I suppose we're in Butterfly effect territory but I would be putting a fair few quid on them (the protests) having happened. Yes.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Being locked in any boredom plays a major factor

I think that's pretty cheap and, whilst it may be a factor for a few, it's a serious misjudgement of the topic.

In fact, I'd say it's piss poor.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think that's pretty cheap and, whilst it may be a factor for a few, it's a serious misjudgement of the topic.

In fact, I'd say it's piss poor.

and that's why I was very reticent about bringing it up but I think theres truth in it.  

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

and that's why I was very reticent about bringing it up but I think theres truth in it.  

That's the tactic, isn't it?

Throw out a huge accusation (it's a 'major factor') thus downpllaying the commitment of the people out there to this cause, have someone reply that 'it may be a factor for a few' - which is disagreeing with what you were saying (hopefully given away by the comment about it being piss poor) -  and then go 'ah there's truth to it'.

I'lll make it clear: I think your comment about it being a 'major factor' (taken together with questioning whether they'd have happened at all if there were not a pandemic and there hadn't been a lockdown) doesn't hold water and its intent is to downplay the cause for which people turned out and their commitment to it.

You didn't seem particularly reticent about bringing it up, tbh.

• Like 2

For people saying “don’t protest now, do it later” I would say the moment and momentum for a once in a generation opportunity for real change will have been lost. 

The spark occurring during a global pandemic is the very reason why it is not just like every other time this happens. 

There is an opportunity here that should not be passed up.

• Like 4

Â