Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Seen all sort aimed at teachers. I was one, my sister is one. Why would anyone want to be one, when you have a target on your back? Nightmare stuff.

I never understood the stick aimed at the profession and I'm sure it does put people off. The retention stats are really poor, I'm sure a ridiculous amount of new teachers leave the profession within the first 2 years. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I never understood the stick aimed at the profession and I'm sure it does put people off. The retention stats are really poor, I'm sure a ridiculous amount of new teachers leave the profession within the first 2 years. 

i think it's 1 in 5 stay? Mad.

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've also read that only 25% of reception, yr 1 and yr 6 kids actually went to school last week. 

There were five who went back from twenty in my five year old's class. So I can anecdotally back up those numbers.

Twenty minutes into her first day back on Wednesday she had a hayfever-related cough. So they sent her home again. Same happened with two of the other four. So they had two kids from twenty to work with.

Edit - as an aside from the above when schools go back in earnest, it's going to be impressively chaotic when older and more wily kids realise that a big coughing fit is all that they need to do in order to be sent out of school.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

talks between senior managers about nhs staff like myself may permanently work from home. ... they will be removing london weighting from public service workers wages. Thats (3.5k from our wages)

Have you considered joining your Union, Dem, fight the buggers.

Whilst I don't want to discourage exploring any/all avenues available to you Dem, I can speak from demonstrable experience that UNISON are utterly useless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

A new study (not yet peer reviewed) of satellite imagery of Wuhan suggests that the virus may have originated as early as late August 2019.

Coronavirus: Satellite traffic images may suggest virus hit Wuhan earlier:

Just went to post about this myself. It’s really interesting and follows on from the ‘backdated’ cases in France a few weeks back when they tested samples from pneumonia patients that had died. 

The Chinese doctor ‘blew the whistle’ back in December and it was already in the community then. A Chinese newspaper reported that the first case was November 17th and I read somewhere that one of the earliest known cases had no link to Wuhan and hadn’t been abroad etc. 

I wonder if we’ll ever know the full truth about the origin of it tbh. 

Edited by wazzap24
Wasn’t concentrating

I think It would be an interesting strategy to deduct money from NHS workers any time soon.

London weighting isn’t there simply for use on the excellent subsidised public transport. It’s for the whole London thing.

Much of it is compensation for the risk of turning in to a Danny Dyer.

ltSmH.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think It would be an interesting strategy to deduct money from NHS workers any time soon.

London weighting isn’t there simply for use on the excellent subsidised public transport. It’s for the whole London thing.

Much of it is compensation for the risk of turning in to a Danny Dyer.

ltSmH.gif

No idea how the NHS do it but when I was civil service you got a higher salary for being in the M25 but you only got the extra few grand if you worked in one of the zone 1 offices.

Politically the timing is bad but with the way it works it will probably never show in stats. It’s also presumably only going to be administrators effected and the public are a bit less sympathetic there.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

It would be time for the public to back up the clapping.

I think one thing that might have come out of this is a slightly better appreciation that it’s not just nurses. It’s the cleaners and the admin and the woman behind the shop counter.

I haven’t been in Unison for 30 years, back in the day, this sort of threat would have been an easy win. Wouldn’t have got beyond the ideas stage.

Appreciate the environment generally has got a bit more tory since then. But imagine going from clapping to cutting pay for NHS workers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So it begins the post covid 19 savings. My manager says there has been talks between senior managers about nhs staff like myself may permanently work from home. Because of this they will be removing london waiting from public service workers wages. Thats (3.5k from our wages)

Fantastic 

That would definitely curtail any pond maintenance.

4 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Whilst I don't want to discourage exploring any/all avenues available to you Dem, I can speak from demonstrable experience that UNISON are utterly useless.

I know mate i agree with you. One of the worst unions around

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It would be time for the public to back up the clapping.

I think one thing that might have come out of this is a slightly better appreciation that it’s not just nurses. It’s the cleaners and the admin and the woman behind the shop counter.

I haven’t been in Unison for 30 years, back in the day, this sort of threat would have been an easy win. Wouldn’t have got beyond the ideas stage.

Appreciate the environment generally has got a bit more tory since then. But imagine going from clapping to cutting pay for NHS workers. 

You must remember the cost if loving in london is worse than probably most places in england.

Its a bit of a mess. They saying they taking london waiting off us but then we can claim back on electricity phone bill and internet each month! Wont be much difference surely?

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You must remember the cost if loving in london is worse than probably most places in england.

Its a bit of a mess. They saying they taking london waiting off us but then we can claim back on electricity phone bill and internet each month! Wont be much difference surely?

Yes, I appreciate the costs are higher, and that’s what working from home would only be a small part of the consideration. You potentially still have more expensive shops, or rates, replacement windows or whatever.

It’s a presumption on their part that their staff can take any sort of reduction in pay. So many people are working with no headroom in their finances. So oit’s one thing not to offer good pay increases, it’s quite another to reduce people’s pay. That’s quite a slap in the chops for anyone.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So it begins the post covid 19 savings. My manager says there has been talks between senior managers about nhs staff like myself may permanently work from home. Because of this they will be removing london waiting from public service workers wages. Thats (3.5k from our wages)

Fantastic 

As others have said, you're still going to be living in London, aren't you, in order to work from home?

Reducing the weighting by some amount for reduced transportation expenditure - fine. But you're still paying for London housing, &c.

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Fantastic 

I’d seek advice, I’m not sure they can make changes to your contract like that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

As others have said, you're still going to be living in London, aren't you, in order to work from home?

Reducing the weighting by some amount for reduced transportation expenditure - fine. But you're still paying for London housing, &c.

Agreed. Honestly i would move from london if all my family and friends were not here. Im currently looking at a house and they prices ive gone and viewed properties is absolutely crazy what they asking.

Taking 3.5k off my wages also would effect how much the bank will give me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I know mate i agree with you. One of the worst unions around

Did either of you find a union that does a good job/ you'd recommend?

Edited by Mozzavfc

9 hours ago, ml1dch said:

There were five who went back from twenty in my five year old's class. So I can anecdotally back up those numbers.

Twenty minutes into her first day back on Wednesday she had a hayfever-related cough. So they sent her home again. Same happened with two of the other four. So they had two kids from twenty to work with.

Edit - as an aside from the above when schools go back in earnest, it's going to be impressively chaotic when older and more wily kids realise that a big coughing fit is all that they need to do in order to be sent out of school.

We have strict risk assessments that have to be stuck to for schools to stay open. The staff will have had no choice but to treat the coughing seriously as a covid symptom. 

Â