Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Anyone sending their kids to school as of July?

If so, why?

If not, why?

I've been looking and I'm thinking it's best for my 5 year old to go back, based on the stats and measures being enforced.

But just wondering what others are thinking. 

How do I reconcile my support for the BLM movement and protests with the fact that I called VE Day celebrators, beach gatherers and other lockdown breakers words removed just a few weeks ago?

Yes it’s for a much better reason, but people are going to die because of this.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Doesn’t anyone else think these protests in London are really irresponsible? 

I mean they are. But I tend to think it shows how much people care about this shit. They’re not dumb. They know it is unsafe. But it’s something worth fighting for. BLM 

• Like 1

I’m torn. I would have gone to the Birmingham one on Thursday if it wasn’t for the pandemic. So in a way I agree it’s irresponsible to go to a mass gathering in the current climate. 

but also im inspired by people who are so dedicated to that cause that they’ll protest anyway. 

I made my decision not to go because of covid. But I can’t say I blame anyone who chose to go despite the risks. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite, I don’t know. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m torn. I would have gone to the Birmingham one on Thursday if it wasn’t for the pandemic. So in a way I agree it’s irresponsible to go to a mass gathering in the current climate. 

but also im inspired by people who are so dedicated to that cause that they’ll protest anyway. 

I made my decision not to go because of covid. But I can’t say I blame anyone who chose to go despite the risks. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite, I don’t know. 

My issue with it stevo is how many of these people were clapping for the NHS? They have basically shown they dont care about the nhs staff and the clapping was for nothing

If they want to protest totally fine,whether i think its pointless or not.  They have a right to do so but do it when its safe to do so.

There is no doubt in my mind a lot of these people will get sick and some will die. Then it will be asked why dark people are dying more. This protest certainly would have contributed to it.

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

To my friends in the states that i speak with they dont even know there was a protest here!

Well there are plenty of people in the states who have been on TV and media remarking upon the solidarity of protests happening elsewhere.

Perhaps the friends to whom you speak aren't the best bellweather for what is going on outside (or even inside) the US?

Edited by snowychap
) for 0
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean they are. But I tend to think it shows how much people care about this shit. They’re not dumb. They know it is unsafe. But it’s something worth fighting for. BLM 

If the risk was to themselves I’d agree. But with COVID the majority of those protesters could catch it and be fine. In many cases not even know about it. But they could also pass it on to an elderly or vulnerable person and it could cost them their lives. 

Thats why I think they are irresponsible and selfish.  The world knows how many people are rallying together for this cause.  A mass gathering at this time really wasn’t needed in my opinion. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Well there are plenty of people in the states who have been on TV and media remarking upon the solidarity of protests happening elsewhere.

Perhaps the friends to whom you speak aren't the best bellweather for what is going on outside (or even inside0 the US?

Yeah ok 😂😂

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the risk was to themselves I’d agree. But with COVID the majority of those protesters could catch it and be fine. In many cases not even know about it. But they could also pass it on to an elderly or vulnerable person and it could cost them their lives. 

Thats why I think they are irresponsible and selfish.  The world knows how many people are rallying together for this cause.  A mass gathering at this time really wasn’t needed in my opinion. 

A protest/demonstration can and should be organised in an orderly fashion especially with the power of social media. The issue in question is massive, the world does need to change and people do want to tag along to help the cause but these things also attract opportunists and thugs which is what makes the headlines as much as the issue in question, bloody annoying.

• Like 1

Brazilian president Jair Bolsanaro has decided the the country will stop reporting the death figures for Covid-19 "as the accumulated numbers do not reflect the situation the country finds itself in"

Brazil is among the very worst effected countries and getting worse by the hour...

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes you acted responsibly they didn’t 

Why now when it’s not safe. It’s counterproductive anyway because there is so much anger about it from people living around me it can only heighten racial tensions. This is a long term thing that’s will take years to resolve why hold the protests during a pandemic. Why no protests when the police killed Dalian Atkinson?

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Why no protests when the police killed Dalian Atkinson?

Perhaps there were, perhaps there weren't. Maybe there was a small protest which didn't gain the same kind of traction as these have - I don't know. Perhaps the weather was different, perhaps people cared less about the situation, perhaps there wasn't an 8:46 video of the thing which brought it directly to people's attention, perhaps the story was spun by the police in the same way that a lot of these stories are spun until there is obvious contradictory evidence produced?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, though. You're not trying to suggest that because there weren't global protests after the death of Dalian Atkinson that there shouldn't be global protests after the death of anyone else, are you?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Anyone sending their kids to school as of July?

If so, why?

If not, why?

I've been looking and I'm thinking it's best for my 5 year old to go back, based on the stats and measures being enforced.

But just wondering what others are thinking. 

Mine aren’t going back because they are currently on year 3 & 5. It has certainly taken a difficult decision off our hands. First thought was no, it’s not worth the risk of sending them... but then the risk is very low and they would benefit from going... I think if push came to shove we’d probably send them if they wanted to go. 

• Thanks 1

I’m sure for those that know about it, Atkinson’s death is a contributing factor to their anger.  Floyd is just the straw that broke the camel’s back.  The whole point is that this kind of thing has been happening too often.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I’m sure for those that know about it, Atkinson’s death is a contributing factor to their anger.  Floyd is just the straw that broke the camel’s back.  The whole point is that this kind of thing has been happening too often.  

Yes. I think is lost on some of the people particularly on Facebook who think these protests are because of 1 incident.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yes. I think is lost on some of the people particularly on Facebook who think these protests are because of 1 incident.

They don’t think that. Even the thickest of the thick don’t really believe it’s because of one incident, it’s just a narrative they are trying to spin to undermine a valid and legitimate protest. 

The same little Englander’s slagging off BLM were quite happily going to beaches, getting bladdered and doing the conga in their streets a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 1

Â