Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Did the French ever resolve the loop they found themselves in?

Wasn’t there at one point a fine for Muslim women wearing face coverings in public and a fine for not wearing a face covering in public?

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Masks were a legal requirement here with fines for non-compliance so everyone was wearing them. 

Now you just have to wear one inside public spaces and on public transport 

What if you were going to the supermarket to buy one?

The thing about masks, where do you get them from and which ones do you get to give you the best possible protection and whats the cost of them. The govt should be supplying these things for free. 

• Like 1

Vietnam, borders China.

300 infections and no deaths, life pretty much as normal there apparently.

I don’t know what it is but something is just not right about all this guys. I’m trying hard to avoid throwing out wild conspiracy style theories but is no one else beginning to feel like this has been orchestrated by someone/something? 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

The thing about masks, where do you get them from and which ones do you get to give you the best possible protection and whats the cost of them. The govt should be supplying these things for free. 

There are hundreds of designs online to make your own. I think the BBC alone has 3 or 4 versions depending on your level of crafting skill.

Failing that, you can order some from Screwfix. They’re about 10 for a tenner.

Failing that, wear a scarf.

It isn’t about haz suit levels of protection, it’s about not spraying sneeze snot particles 4 metres in to the air.

If you’re going for the full haz suit protection, you’ll also need a visor, paper scrubs and overshoes.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Vietnam, borders China.

300 infections and no deaths, life pretty much as normal there apparently.

I don’t know what it is but something is just not right about all this guys. I’m trying hard to avoid throwing out wild conspiracy style theories but is no one else beginning to feel like this has been orchestrated by someone/something? 

It doesn’t take much to look up why they have done so well. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/0cc3c956-6cb2-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Rather than embark on mass testing, which has been the crux of wealthier South Korea’s response to the outbreak, Vietnam has focused on isolating infected people and tracking down their second- and third-hand contacts. 

“Mass testing is good, but it depends on the resources of each country,” said Tran Dac Phu, a senior health official advising Vietnam’s Emergency Operation Centre, which is equivalent to the US Centers for Disease Control. 

“The important thing is, you need to know the number of people who might have come in contact with the disease, or returned from pandemic areas, then perform tests on these people.”

Apart from aggressive tracing of infected people’s contacts, the communist leadership’s measures have also included forced quarantines and the conscription of medical students, retired doctors and nurses to join the fight.

• Like 1

Well then perhaps that’s my ignorance then but I wouldn’t have considered Vietnam’s infrastructure to be so well developed that they could effectively manage something like isolation and tracking down of other people encountered.

At this stage it’s appearing as one of three scenarios to me:

1. We literally have a totally inept government, incapable of coming close to managing the situation effectively.
  2. We have a cruel and callous government who have actively sought to allow the virus to spread
  3. There’s really something more going on which we’re not being allowed to know for whatever reason (conspiracy) 

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

These days a story has to be out there a couple of days to be allowed to soak through obvious bullshit filters.

If this turns out to be true? It's inexcusable from the Tory filth, again.

28 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well then perhaps that’s my ignorance then but I wouldn’t have considered Vietnam’s infrastructure to be so well developed that they could effectively manage something like isolation and tracking down of other people encountered.

1. We literally have a totally inept government, incapable of coming close to managing the situation effectively.
  2. We have a cruel and callous government who have actively sought to allow the virus to spread
  3. There’s really something more going on which we’re not being allowed to know for whatever reason (conspiracy) 

From very early on Vietnam had all arrivals stay in quarantine for 2 weeks before they could then go out and about. Travel around the country was also severely restricted.

There are probably other factors at play as well, perhaps they have lower levels of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and a younger population which would impact how severely the virus affects a person?

It could also be that they missed some deaths as being due to the virus? 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So, theories 1 & 2, we have an inept government of charlatans and liars.

Theory 3, Vietnam is waging genetically profiled bio warfare so sophisticated it can kill Chinese and Japanese but not Vietnamese. No scientist or military from around the world have the technology or spies to suspect this.

Tricky tricky choice. If only there was some razor based method of discerning between the various possibilities.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This is a fallacy of argument from personal incredulity.

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

One and two aren't mutually exclusive. Three is undoubtedly true and our own government's attempts to do this have been documented repeatedly in this thread - but this doesn't indicate some multi-government conspiracy which would somehow stop scientists talking about their findings.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

This is a fallacy of argument from personal incredulity.

One and two aren't mutually exclusive. Three is undoubtedly true and our own government's attempts to do this have been documented repeatedly in this thread - but this doesn't indicate some multi-government conspiracy which would somehow stop scientists talking about their findings.

Going slightly off topic, but I've been reading about the Napoleonic Wars, and one of the most interesting (and heartening) bits of information was that British, French and other European scientists largely ignored the politics and defied their governments to carry on with collaborative research on the quiet. One would hope that this remains true. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Did the French ever resolve the loop they found themselves in?

Wasn’t there at one point a fine for Muslim women wearing face coverings in public and a fine for not wearing a face covering in public?

They possibly use a colour chart to decide if a fine is required.

• Like 1

Â