Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Coronavirus 'R' number in the North West is now above 1, new analysis shows

The North West’s R number has now risen above 1, the M.E.N. can reveal, meaning it now has the highest rate of Covid transmission in the country.

Scientists from the Public Health England and Cambridge University have been tracking how the virus spreads - a number known as the ‘R’ value - throughout the pandemic and their latest analysis now shows every region hovering just below or just above the crucial 1 figure, the government’s crucial measure of whether the disease is under control.

0_RJPG.jpg

...more

2 hours ago, Genie said:

They wait for the PPE crisis to pass before confirming the public should be wearing them...

And that’s why they were telling us before not to wear them 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Still a few still dying 357. It's not really consistantly coming down is it?

new cases are flatlining as well and that could go up with the relaxation and breaking of the lockdown rules that has gone on in the last week. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

And that’s why they were telling us before not to wear them 

I understand that it’s just annoying that they were saying there was no evidence that they worked, while the rest of the world was using them. 

And now they’re saying we should all wear them. So clearly they do work. So they were lying again

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I understand that it’s just annoying that they were saying there was no evidence that they worked, while the rest of the world was using them. 

And now they’re saying we should all wear them. So clearly they do work. So they were lying again

Yes, the obvious follow up if they say “yes they are beneficial” is “where can I get them?” for which they had no answer. They didn’t even have enough for the NHS so couldn’t risk the public and businesses going into competition with the government for stock. Shameful (again).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes, the obvious follow up if they say “yes they are beneficial” is “where can I get them?” for which they had no answer. They didn’t even have enough for the NHS so couldn’t risk the public and businesses going into competition with the government for stock. Shameful (again).

If we're all supposed to be using them, you'd think that there would shelves stacked high with affordable masks in all supermarkets, wouldn't you? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If we're all supposed to be using them, you'd think that there would shelves stacked high with affordable masks in all supermarkets, wouldn't you? 

I was in M&S the other day and they had piles of them, £3 for three. 

I was on site yesterday down in South East England.

I was the only Person that brought mask and gloves.

Really really surprised, the consensus from the others (1 Yorkshire, 2 local southerners, and 2 brummies) was that they felt ‘silly’ wearing masks. Couldn’t quite get my head around it. They also found it impossible to stay 2 metres apart.

Two of them, that couldn’t be bothered to take basic preventative measures, work for companies that are going through redundancies because the lockdown has broken them economically. It’s like people are a little bit **** up in the head.

I have a mask. My wife bought it for me to wear. If I actually leave the house to be in the company of others I will wear it. I think my wife is making me tomorrow. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

consensus from the others (1 Yorkshire, 2 local southerners, and 2 brummies) was that they felt ‘silly’ wearing masks.

I think that's the case round here. Haven't seen masks for sale anywhere. I now finally have one - homemade by a local woman who is giving them away. I've started wearing it on my weekly trip to Morrison, but I'm in a tiny minority - most customers are behaving as if CV didn't exist - little or no attempt to distance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I think that's the case round here. Haven't seen masks for sale anywhere. I now finally have one - homemade by a local woman who is giving them away. I've started wearing it on my weekly trip to Morrison, but I'm in a tiny minority - most customers are behaving as if CV didn't exist - little or no attempt to distance. 

Yeah I’m quite lucky my missus has always been in to sewing and making clothes (she made her own wedding dress!) so when we ran out of ‘proper’ masks she just made a few batches of material ones.

I actually prefer my homemade masks to the usual site specific type. But I had to put the ‘proper’ one on for the office photo to prove I had all the kit!

It’ll be interesting once crowds are back and the weather turns what the attitude of the authorities will be towards masking up. I think there will be elements of society that embrace the opportunity to wear a black mask with a black hoody in a large group of similar clad people. But there will also be people that feel ‘awkward’ as it’s a real cultural change for some.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You reckon a scarf will be ok as a mask?

Yep, or one of those cowboy neckerchief things if that feels less awkward than a mask, or the hoolie’s favourite the motorbike scarf.

rBVaEVfLbUKADxaGAAFq5pB2ysU656.jpg

For a while (well, 3 weeks) I've been the only one (apart from literally the odd other person) in the supermarket wearing a mask.

I popped there tonight and I'd say about a third of the people in there were wearing masks. SO the message is getting through I think

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

worthless I would say 

Worthless in terms of would it actually protect you agreed.

But good enough to abide by the rules I would have thought.

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can get cheap snoods online. They might be better than a scarf

Â