Generic Virus Thread

villakram

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’ll be interesting once crowds are back and the weather turns what the attitude of the authorities will be towards masking up. I think there will be elements of society that embrace the opportunity to wear a black mask with a black hoody in a large group of similar clad people. But there will also be people that feel ‘awkward’ as it’s a real cultural change for some.

Tyrone likes this. 

037C614F-4CC2-46E6-8901-23DC034E5D25.jpeg

Edited by choffer
Oh wait, it’s a blue hoody
  • Like 1

I reckon face masks will now become a thing.

As in, you know how you often see people from asia in airports and cities wearing facemasks? 

That'll be us now. Not just until Covid is gone, I mean permanently.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Worthless in terms of would it actually protect you agreed.

But good enough to abide by the rules I would have thought.

or protect others what is the size of the droplets about 0.000125mm? Surely most of these masks you buy or make yourself are only going to offer a little bit of protection

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I was on site yesterday down in South East England.

I was the only Person that brought mask and gloves.

Really really surprised, the consensus from the others (1 Yorkshire, 2 local southerners, and 2 brummies) was that they felt ‘silly’ wearing masks. Couldn’t quite get my head around it. They also found it impossible to stay 2 metres apart.

Two of them, that couldn’t be bothered to take basic preventative measures, work for companies that are going through redundancies because the lockdown has broken them economically. It’s like people are a little bit **** up in the head.

It's taken 20 years and threats of the sack to get people to wear hard hats and ear defenders which were for their own protection. I wouldn't expect people to jump on board with face masks after a couple of months. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As in, you know how you often see people from asia in airports and cities wearing facemasks? 

From February :D 

On 27/02/2020 at 00:06, sne said:

Imagine the market for specialized hipster friendly face masks 

Someone's going to get stupid rich.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's taken 20 years and threats of the sack to get people to wear hard hats and ear defenders which were for their own protection. I wouldn't expect people to jump on board with face masks after a couple of months. 

I go to sites now where people will walk around in a hard hat and then take it off to actually do some work.

Just before the covid closure of sites I was present when someone had to be threatened with the sack and kicking off site if he took his hat off one more time. 

https://shop.avfc.co.uk/stores/astonvilla/en/product/aston-villa-3-pack-face-coverings---black-white-navy---adult/293422?portal=EJN6URB1&CMP=PEC-EJN6URB1&g4id=3

Aston Villa 3 Pack Face Coverings - Black/White/Navy - Adult

Cover up while you represent your favourite team with the Aston Villa 3 Pack Face Coverings - Black/White/Navy – Adult.

Available in three different colours, all featuring either the iconic Villa crest or wordmark, you’ll also be supporting the local community with all of AVFC’s proceeds from the sale of licensed face coverings being donated across Acorns & Birmingham Children’s Hospital plus the AVFC Foundation.

I’m just thinking back in my college days I used to always have my scarf cover my face and nose all. I just felt more relaxed that way. Plus it keeps you warm in the winter. It got to the stage where people were talking about whether I was hiding something. 

Guess it’s time to get those scarves back out.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

For the paranoid yes.

I could count the number of people I’ve seen wearing masks around here in the past week on one hand.

Unless the virus gets ratcheted up a notch or two I don’t see it happening, but I could be wrong.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

For the paranoid yes.

I could count the number of people I’ve seen wearing masks around here in the past week on one hand.

Unless the virus gets ratcheted up a notch or two I don’t see it happening, but I could be wrong.

They're now mandatory on public transport, and I reckon they'll make them mandatory in supermarkets at some point so we'll be seeing a lot more of them.

I'm not saying everyone will be walking round wearing them. But I think you'll see lots more people wearing them to travel or in big cities.

It might be the more paranoid people but it'll be "normal" to see it. 

41 minutes ago, PaulC said:

or protect others what is the size of the droplets about 0.000125mm? Surely most of these masks you buy or make yourself are only going to offer a little bit of protection

If both cougher/slobbery talker and involuntary droplet target are wearing them they'll still offer a fair bit of protection.   Droplets will still get through when you cough/blather but only a percentage of them, and most of those will come through with a much-reduced velocity.   On the other end, a barrage of droplets will see a significant amount get through, but if the quantity and force of droplets coming from the offender is greatly reduced there's a huge reduction in likelihood of breathing in their droplets.   Add in social distancing and you're way better off than two unmasked people standing close to each other.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m just thinking back in my college days I used to always have my scarf cover my face and nose all. I just felt more relaxed that way. Plus it keeps you warm in the winter. It got to the stage where people were talking about whether I was hiding something. 

Guess it’s time to get those scarfs back out.

Summer scarf, I’ll give dragons den a call

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They're now mandatory on public transport, and I reckon they'll make them mandatory in supermarkets at some point so we'll be seeing a lot more of them.

I'm not saying everyone will be walking round wearing them. But I think you'll see lots more people wearing them to travel or in big cities.

It might be the more paranoid people but it'll be "normal" to see it. 

Oh I agree it’s already more normal to see them, I’m just not sure that what we’re seeing now will be the new normal, I think it’ll be temporary, for how long who knows .

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

If both cougher/slobbery talker and involuntary droplet target are wearing them they'll still offer a fair bit of protection.   Droplets will still get through when you cough/blather but only a percentage of them, and most of those will come through with a much-reduced velocity.   On the other end, a barrage of droplets will see a significant amount get through, but if the quantity and force of droplets coming from the offender is greatly reduced there's a huge reduction in likelihood of breathing in their droplets.   Add in social distancing and you're way better off than two unmasked people standing close to each other.

The point of masks is not so much about protecting you from others but more that others are better protected from you in case you accidentally sneeze or cough etc. 

That is the reason why surgeons ware them during operations and is also the reason why most Asian people ware them (i.e. if they were worried they might have a cold but needed to be out in public). 

The masks we have access to are not able to stop virus particles travelling in as we breathe in but will catch bigger drops travelling out if we cough etc. 

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is part of the way in which masks help that they stop you touching your mouth and nose?

I wear a snood that I got for completing a race years ago. When I shop now, I wear it and it definitely reminds me not to touch my face. 

Masks were a legal requirement here with fines for non-compliance so everyone was wearing them. 

Now you just have to wear one inside public spaces and on public transport 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52945210

The World Health Organization (WHO) has changed its advice on face masks, saying they should be worn in public to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

The global body said new information showed they could provide "a barrier for potentially infectious droplets".

Some countries around the world already recommend or mandate the wearing of face coverings in public.

The WHO had previously argued there was not enough evidence to say that healthy people should wear masks.

Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO's technical lead expert on Covid-19, told Reuters news agency the recommendation was for people to wear a "fabric mask - that is, a non-medical mask" in areas where there is a risk of transmission of the disease.

What is the WHO's advice?

The organisation said its new guidance had been prompted by studies over recent weeks. "We are advising governments to encourage that the general public wear a mask," Dr Van Kerkhove said.

At the same time, the WHO stressed that face masks were just one of a range of tools that could be used to reduce the risk of transmission - and that they should not give people a false sense of protection.

"Masks on their own will not protect you from Covid-19," said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

Â