Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

but both entries say "or simply the Congo". Is there a standard naming or reference guide that is in use. I don't know, randomly interesting!

See my edit. When I was googling it earlier I’m sure I read that “The Congo” was the accepted shortened name for DRC but not for the republic. But can’t seem to find the source now

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is there anything wrong with 'the DRC' and 'Congo-Brazzaville'?

Nope. But @villakram’s original gripe was that DRC was referred to as “The Congo” so the discussion was whether either country has that officially designated as their shortened name. 

It still seems to me that using “The Congo” refers to the DRC. But I can’t tell if that’s like an official designation or has just become accepted. And whether it’s right or not for that to be the case

• Like 2

On 01/06/2020 at 22:34, StefanAVFC said:

agA07Ox_460s.jpg

If absolutely everyone returned their trolleys to the appropriate position each time, the trolley-collector industry would collapse and who are we to so casually disenfranchise students in need of funding their penny whistles and pokémons?  Where you see me hurling a trolley those last few metres haphazardly into it's bay, do you see a lazy, inconsiderate person?  Nay!  I say you see someone clear in their civic duty to stimulate the local economy.

• Like 1

That thing is the most petits-bourgeois simpering I've read in a while. I imagine that the author is currently pretending to think that 'there's good people on both sides' while secretly loving videos of heavily armed police officers beating the shit out of protesters.

Edited by HanoiVillan

21 hours ago, bickster said:

Nah, Tories innit, forcing councils to stop spending a penny on non-essential services

200.gif

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

79496020-FAD2-4-E10-9-F1-C-BC0-C4-C29-BD

Good job we’re not in the midst of a contagious virus pandemic 

Link

350 deaths today, I think we’re past the peak and the trough 

Guess Boris has his ready made excuse if we have a second huge spike in cases. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

350 deaths today, I think we’re past the peak and the trough 

It'll get higher with the beach visits recently and protests today. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sweden's approach hasn't worked. Uk still had a reported 1800 new cases today. its not dropping

Sweden has 2214 reported new cases today according to the internet. I sincerely hope that is incorrect (probably isn't) because if it's correct I'm pretty sure that is the worst day reported so far.

We had about 300 the day before yesterday and about 800 yesterday. With the weather we've been having the last week the cases were always going to spike but 2200 is extremely high for a little country like Sweden.

Â