Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Well, I couldn't conceive of a way to make The Cider House a viable business pursuit anymore. I'm closing the bar. The restaurant industry in Maine is dependent on brisk summer sales to carry us over the winter. This is not happening, not this summer, anyway. And maybe next, who the hell knows. 

I've worked in restaurants since 1985, and opening my own little bar was a dream I had for years. I was able to achieve it, and Covid has come to take it away. I have my health, and that's the most important thing. 

Now it's back to square one, but with business loan debt of around 30K USD and no job. 

That just sucks.

No chance of you working elsewhere so you can keep the bills paid until next summer? I suspect you have already thought through every conceivable option to keep it open. :( 

This is the problem with this virus, big companies will ride it out but little independents like you will be lost and that won’t do the world any favours. 

31 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Now it's back to square one, but with business loan debt of around 30K USD and no job. 

Oh Mate. That's proper shit. I'm sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Well, I couldn't conceive of a way to make The Cider House a viable business pursuit anymore. I'm closing the bar. The restaurant industry in Maine is dependent on brisk summer sales to carry us over the winter. This is not happening, not this summer, anyway. And maybe next, who the hell knows. 

I've worked in restaurants since 1985, and opening my own little bar was a dream I had for years. I was able to achieve it, and Covid has come to take it away. I have my health, and that's the most important thing. 

Mate I'm so so sorry to hear this. 😰

Everything that's going on is like a bad dream. My plight is pretty small beans compared to others right now. 

@awol was right when he said we are truly in the shit. 

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Big of him to get stuck in imo

Maybe I’m being cynical, but is this announcement because it will nicely coincide with things starting to open up, deaths finally falling to a very low level and the country being brought back to a semblance of normality?

so Boris can say “look once I took direct control everything went great and I’ve saved the day!”

of course anyone with a brain would be saying well why weren’t you in control from the start?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Ah shit that really sucks. Sorry to hear this. 
As someone who would love to start their own business I had my own little bit of pride for what you’d achieved. 

Hope you land back on your feet, and maybe in a couple of years when Covid has **** off you can reopen. 

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m confused, how do you know they meant DRC? I can’t see how you can know that, but it’s late I might be being thick.

I believe the DRC is known as “The Congo”. And the republic of the Congo is just known as “Congo”

But is pretty confusing so I might be wrong

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I believe the DRC is known as “The Congo”. And the republic of the Congo is just known as “Congo”

But is pretty confusing so I might be wrong

In fact having googled it it might even be more confusing.

DRC is known as “The Congo”. 
And the republic of Congo is known as the “Congo”

Basically the difference is the capital letter on “The”

But again happy to be corrected. It’s confusing!

Edited by Stevo985

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In fact having googled it it might even be more confusing.

DRC is known as “The Congo”. 
And the republic of Congo is known as the “Congo”

Basically the difference is the capital letter on “The”

But again happy to be corrected. It’s confusing!

Next time I'll allowed in the office I'll pop downstairs and ask. The Brazzaville Embassy is in the same building as us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Maybe I’m being cynical, but is this announcement because it will nicely coincide with things starting to open up, deaths finally falling to a very low level and the country being brought back to a semblance of normality?

so Boris can say “look once I took direct control everything went great and I’ve saved the day!”

of course anyone with a brain would be saying well why weren’t you in control from the start?

This may well be right, though the reality is he will be considered the person responsible by the media and the public anyway. I suspect this is more of a 'baby, I'm back!' message for the benefit of any disillusioned Tory donors or backbenchers (hence why it's in the Torygraph).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s a coincidence, I was only looking up some information films from Brazzers the other day. Say Hi from me.

You are Michael Gove and I claim my £5.00. :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nicho said:

The nation is called The Democratic Republic of The Congo as you have stated so I think The Congo is a fair abbreviation.

Unfounded rant, no different to the same abbreviation of UK, America, China, North Korea ect.

In the wider context of viruses and general knowledge of African nations being low I imagine it may be more useful to describe their demographics, socioeconomic conditions, pop density than get hung up on naming conventions

So is the Republic of Congo.

But, just random African countries, so who cares.

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

So is the Republic of Congo.

But, just random African countries, so who cares.

See my previous replies. 

I think (and again happy to be corrected) that “The Congo” is an accepted shortened name for the DRC. 

Even though the other country is also called Republic of the Congo

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

See my previous replies. 

I think (and again happy to be corrected) that “The Congo” is an accepted shortened name for the DRC. 
The Republic of the Congo is shortened to the “Congo”

as confusing as that is 

Hmmm....

Wikipedia disagrees and so does the CIA world fact book. Perhaps media-land has invented some standard reference guide or some such?

The UN lists the Republic of Congo under Congo (https://www.un.int/congo/).

and the other lot are under Democratic (https://www.un.int/drcongo/).

btw, this just annoyed me as I've been reading a book on the post genocide war ~20 years ago lately...

and there's a general tolerance for sloppy shite from and in the media these days.

13 minutes ago, villakram said:

Hmmm....

Wikipedia disagrees and so does the CIA world fact book. Perhaps media-land has invented some standard reference guide or some such?

The UN lists the Republic of Congo under Congo (https://www.un.int/congo/).

and the other lot are under Democratic (https://www.un.int/drcongo/).

btw, this just annoyed me as I've been reading a book on the post genocide war ~20 years ago lately...

and there's a general tolerance for sloppy shite from and in the media these days.

Wikipedia says DRC is referred to as “The Congo” and the republic is referred to as the “Congo”

I know that’s very minor but if they’re official shortened names then I guess it’s acceptable for media to refer to them as such

edit: actually no it doesn’t. It says the “Congo” for both. So I have no idea any more 😂

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Wikipedia says DRC is referred to as “The Congo” and the republic is referred to as the “Congo”

I know that’s very minor but if they’re official shortened names then I guess it’s acceptable for media to refer to them as such

but both entries say "or simply the Congo". Is there a standard naming or reference guide that is in use. I don't know, randomly interesting!

Â