Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I respect you opinion, you carry on wearing your mask for as long as it takes this virus to completely disappear that's fine.

The percentage that I would infect someone is so small that, 1. I would need to have the virus, 2. They would have to be vulnerable, 3. There own mask would most probably protect them anyway. 4. I would need to be close enough to infect them.

I'm not saying I never wear a mask, but if I pop in a petrol station or local shop, I probably won't bother.

And that in my view doesnt make you a "dick" or a "arsehole"

Also to add a point to your second paragraph if they have been treble jabbed as well its unlikely they will die the science  tells us that.

• Like 1

When I was young, free and single I used to flatly refuse to wear a condom.

The chances of it being a problem was so small that 1. I would need to have an STI, 2. women don't get pregnant every single time, 3. they were probably on the pill anyway, 4. if I pulled out at the vinegar strokes then 1, 2 and 3 would be moot.

Also, when it comes to things like cervical cancer it's unlikely they will die. The science tells us that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I3. There own mask would most probably protect them anyway.

Your mask doesn’t protect you. 
If that’s the only reason you wear one then you may as well not bother

• Like 2

rate of hospitalizations in Canada, UK and the US

Number of COVID-19 patients in hospital per million (ourworldindata.org)

Relatively Canada was doing well until recently.  It tends to be the elderly, unvaccinated and partially vaccinated and then fully vaccinated that are occupying hospital. Some data below for people in England

How do death rates from COVID-19 differ between people who are vaccinated and those who are not? - Our World in Data 

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

2 years. 2 years into living with covid and still having to say this. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I had a conversation with someone at work the other day who was under the impression that wearing a mask afforded him protection against catching covid.

After enlightening him that the standard masks protect others from something he might have and not know it, not him directly (unless it’s the type with that filter built in), his response was “oh I won’t bother wearing one then”

seriously, dude!?

• Shocked 2

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We've tried to explain it to him before. Its clear he's not interested. I'm sure he did his own research.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

When I was young, free and single I used to flatly refuse to wear a condom.

The chances of it being a problem was so small that 1. I would need to have an STI, 2. women don't get pregnant every single time, 3. they were probably on the pill anyway, 4. if I pulled out at the vinegar strokes then 1, 2 and 3 would be moot.

Also, when it comes to things like cervical cancer it's unlikely they will die. The science tells us that.

Not a great analogy.

Although if you believe it is, I hope you wear a condom every time you have sex, even with the Mrs, as you cannot risk she hasn't been with another man without you knowing, so you are still risking yourself. All hypothetical ofcourse

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

But a mask, 3 vaccinations, social distancing and not going large gatherings whether inside or out is not to far off.

Edited by foreveryoung

Not everyone will wear a mask, I get that.  It is completely within their right to do so (excepting private premises that might require one).  I just like to think that if I wear a mask, it might just maybe save a life of a person or enable those who need to work to carry on doing so. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

My Mrs has got covid and at the same time I have caught one of the worst colds I've ever had. I have been much sicker than her. Apparently having a cold will stop you catching covid because the cold virus doesn't like sharing. Made me a bit proud of the little buggers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't protect me at all???

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Your mask stops you spreading it to other people if you have it. It doesn’t stop you catching it from people who have to but don’t wear masks. 

The protection probably isn’t zero, I’ll admit that. But seriously if that’s the only reason you wear one you may as well not bother

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think I posted it before but several of my lads football teammates are off school and missing games due to heavy colds this last 2 weeks. I’ve never know it before.

I got sent home from work. I can generally carry on with a cold but this floored me. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Your mask stops you spreading it to other people if you have it. It doesn’t stop you catching it from people who have to but don’t wear masks

The protection probably isn’t zero, I’ll admit that. But seriously if that’s the only reason you wear one you may as well not bother

Your making out people are going around infecting the vulnerable if they don't wear a mask themselves. You need to take into account most are triple vaccinated and don't tread on peoples toes anymore. There is going to come a day when no one has to wear them, there will always be risk.

I think we all should stick to football.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrchnry said:

I got sent home from work. I can generally carry on with a cold but this floored me. 

You went to work knowing that you were ill with something infectious?

Probably lucky you didn't get suspended.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You went to work knowing that you were ill with something infectious?

Probably lucky you didn't get suspended.

Pre warned them and was told to come in and wear a mask. Thanks for the tone. 

Â