Generic Virus Thread

villakram

24 minutes ago, Xann said:

Viruses mutate, as you've said. It's a coinflip as to the direction it takes, as the post said.

It's not all doom and gloom. Virologists have been expecting superbugs for decades. We've had a couple now. No point in staying scared, it's just adjusting to the new normal.

I ain't scared of the bug, neither am I fussed about about wearing a mask. I do fear for a couple of friends that have proved susceptible to the bug, and have been flattened by the jabs. Another friend is rendered vulnerable because of his medication.

I got to sit next to my Dad's bed on his last night on Earth as Covid killed him, and would spare others the same experience. If that's putting a mask on in situations where we're forced into close proximity with others? Fine. I'll review the situation as it changes.

Glad you're trying to be less fearful btw.

Sorry to hear about your dad mate thats sad. My condolences to you and your family 😥

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Viruses mutate, as you've said. It's a coinflip as to the direction it takes, as the post said.

It's not all doom and gloom. Virologists have been expecting superbugs for decades. We've had a couple now. No point in staying scared, it's just adjusting to the new normal.

I ain't scared of the bug, neither am I fussed about about wearing a mask. I do fear for a couple of friends that have proved susceptible to the bug, and have been flattened by the jabs. Another friend is rendered vulnerable because of his medication.

I got to sit next to my Dad's bed on his last night on Earth as Covid killed him, and would spare others the same experience. If that's putting a mask on in situations where we're forced into close proximity with others? Fine. I'll review the situation as it changes.

Glad you're trying to be less fearful btw.

Good post, and exactly where I'm at. 

My dilemma is that my missus is on immunosuppressant drugs. Even with the vaccinations, she's still at a higher risk than most, and is currently avoiding e.g. indoor gigs. Trouble is, I'm not, which rather undermines her precautions. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

... she's still at a higher risk than most, and is currently avoiding e.g. indoor gigs. Trouble is, I'm not, which rather undermines her precautions. 

Tough one.

Suppose you carry a two way mask and slip it on if the gig's tight, or camp in the spare room for a couple of nights, then test?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Free covid tests to end next week including for the vulnerable, NHS and care workers. Seems reckless.

I wonder who will get the contract for the extra paid for tests that will now need to be ordered

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Watch the number of positive results drop off a cliff once people have to fork out for a test.

True, it’ll be a pointless statistic. People going into hospital will be the main barometer of things getting better/worse.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

True, it’ll be a pointless statistic. People going into hospital will be the main barometer of things getting better/worse.

It’s kinda pointless now given that the vast majority of positive tests result in a few sniffles at worst.

Once people have to pay for a test they’ll be far less inclined to bother. I actually think this is a good thing to be honest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s kinda pointless now given that the vast majority of positive tests result in a few sniffles at worst.

Once people have to pay for a test they’ll be far less inclined to bother. I actually think this is a good thing to be honest.

11,000 people in hospital with sniffles. 

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So do i, as fundamentally we are testing ourselves for a cold which is what this latest variant has been. 

Â