Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Here’s pro vaccine, pro 1st & 2nd lockdown, mask wearing promoting, anti-viral supporting, whack job Dr Ali, who was against ALL restrictions from the very start (apart from the ones he wasn’t), spouting his bullshit again.

I don’t know how he keeps flying under the radar of the Guardian’s editorial process and being allowed to spout his startling quackery. What’s worse is that he STILL retains his lofty positions at three prestigious institutions. How are top scientists in those places not seeing what the layman can see?

We can only hope the epidemiology experts on message boards and newspaper comment sections continue to take him to task. Maybe then his fellow colleagues at Cambridge and Oxford will wake up and remove this man. 

Once we stamp out scientific debate, and censor those that don’t agree with us, only then can we end this pandemic. 

That is why it’s so important for everyone to continue to follow the public health guidance – including wearing masks – even after mandatory restrictions end.

………………

Of course, during the first wave this evidence was lacking – which is why lockdown measures were justified. Even in the second wave, there was sufficient evidence to show that the benefits of lockdown outweighed the costs – especially with the arrival of vaccines, when lockdowns were not just delaying admissions and deaths but actually preventing them

………….

Fortunately there are things clinically vulnerable patients can do to protect themselves – including wearing well-fitted FFP2 or FFP3 masks, which have been shown in hospitals to greatly reduce the risk of infection. The arrival of antiviral drugs will also provide additional protection from hospital admission and death.

…….

Covid is far from over. With our new freedoms we all have the responsibility to continue to protect others and be considerate of those who are more vulnerable to the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/28/lift-plan-b-restrictions-england-vaccines-restrictions

13 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Vulnerable people aren’t going to the pub or restaurants because…they’re vulnerable. They are going to supermarkets though because otherwise they’ll be vulnerable to starvation.

If those vulnerable people are choosing to go to Sainsbury's instead of say Asda because the former requests that people wear masks and the latter doesn’t, but you rock up in Sainos proudly not wearing one because it’s not required by law, then you’re a selfish aresehole who’s potentially endangering that person in an environment they have no control over yet have to enter.

I can guarantee vulnerable people are going the supermarkets with surgical masks on, and they ae 99% protected against the virus doing so. It would take a virus carrying non mask wearing shopper to sneeze and breath all over them from close distance for them to risk that 1% of getting it.

We really need to chill out a bit. I can understand like @nick76 if there are vulnerable people involved, but there are some right flappers on this thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can guarantee vulnerable people are going the supermarkets with surgical masks on, and they ae 99% protected against the virus doing so. It would take a virus carrying non mask wearing shopper to sneeze and breath all over them from close distance for them to risk that 1% of getting it.

We really need to chill out a bit. I can understand like @nick76 if there are vulnerable people involved, but there are some right flappers on this thread.

This is made up unscientific nonsense

The protection from a mask is nowhere near 99%

The virus is an airborne virus, someone could sneeze 15 minutes ago on the other side of a large indoor space and still infect others. This close proximity thing is rubbish

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bickster said:

This is made up unscientific nonsense

The virus is an airborne virus, someone could sneeze 15 minutes ago on the other side of a large indoor space and still infect others. This close proximity thing is rubbish

You better tell the NHS staff then. Cause most are just wearing a surgical mask when dealing with Covid patients. 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

You better tell the NHS staff then. Cause most are just wearing a surgical mask when dealing with Covid patients. 

It's the best protection they are afforded, that has nothing to do with your original statements being utterly wrong

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's the best protection they are afforded, that has nothing to do with your original statements being utterly wrong

Your statement that a virus could be still live and contagious in the air 15 minutes later is a bit far fetched too. It would pass and infect everyone in the indoor space.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Your statement that a virus could be still live and contagious in the air 15 minutes later is a bit far fetched too. It would pass and infect everyone in the indoor space.

No that isn't how airflow works. I said was possible, it is.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

True for basic masks, but FFP3 masks have been found to be in that ballpark (when properly fitted).  I read a think about a real life study done in the wards of a hospital (Adenbrook?) and it compared the staff rates of Covid for people working in the Covid and non Covid wards. It concluded that with FFP3 masks the staff were nigh on completely protected, without them they were 40 or 50 times more likely to catch Covid.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

giphy.gif

Two years on and no idea how masks or airborne viruses work even after multiple people explaining it again in the last week alone. There’s no point in me adding any more.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

True for basic masks, but FFP3 masks have been found to be in that ballpark (when properly fitted).  I read a think about a real life study done in the wards of a hospital (Adenbrook?) and it compared the staff rates of Covid for people working in the Covid and non Covid wards. It concluded that with FFP3 masks the staff were nigh on completely protected, without them they were 40 or 50 times more likely to catch Covid.  

And I have never seen a single person wearing them in a supermarket

Just now, bickster said:

And I have never seen a single person wearing them in a supermarket

Me either. Maybe vulnerable people might be advised to do so, mind.

Researchers at Cambridge University have called for all healthcare workers to be issued with more effective face masks to prevent Covid-19. 

The study, at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, found that the best mask, called FFP3 cut transmission of the disease by as much as 100 per cent.

Staff wearing standard issue masks had a far greater chance of catching Covid-19.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/ffp3-face-masks-buy-uk-nhs-research-better-protection-covid-1076486

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

giphy.gif

Two years on and no idea how masks or airborne viruses work even after multiple people explaining it again in the last week alone. There’s no point in me adding any more.

Carry on worrying then chap! I have never had it, so must be doing something right.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Your getting carried away now guys cause yet again it's upsetting the narrative. People have differing opinions, don't mean the are arseholes remember.

It’s fine to have differing opinions. I think people have more of an issue with the incorrect rubbish that you keep coming out with and claiming to be facts. Then when someone calls it out you seemingly still stick to your factually wrong statements.

On the subject of opinions though if your opinion is that you just take the chance of infecting potentially vulnerable people rather than put a mask on for the short period of time that you are in a shop for then I think that’s a dreadful opinion.

Making statements like “I haven’t had it so I must be doing something right” isn’t an opinion either. It’s just completely false reasoning and doesn’t really add anything to your argument.

9 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It’s fine to have differing opinions. I think people have more of an issue with the incorrect rubbish that you keep coming out with and claiming to be facts. Then when someone calls it out you seemingly still stick to your factually wrong statements.

On the subject of opinions though if your opinion is that you just take the chance of infecting potentially vulnerable people rather than put a mask on for the short period of time that you are in a shop for then I think that’s a dreadful opinion.

Making statements like “I haven’t had it so I must be doing something right” isn’t an opinion either. It’s just completely false reasoning and doesn’t really add anything to your argument.

I respect you opinion, you carry on wearing your mask for as long as it takes this virus to completely disappear that's fine.

The percentage that I would infect someone is so small that, 1. I would need to have the virus, 2. They would have to be vulnerable, 3. There own mask would most probably protect them anyway. 4. I would need to be close enough to infect them.

I'm not saying I never wear a mask, but if I pop in a petrol station or local shop, I probably won't bother.

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Your getting carried away now guys cause yet again it's upsetting the narrative. People have differing opinions, don't mean the are arseholes remember.

I hate this idea that it's just a different opinion. You can have a different opinion and be an complete arsehole because of it. 

Not wearing a mask and then displaying this as some sort of badge of honour is a perfect example of this. 

• Like 2

Â