Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are you going to wear yours forever?

I would assume not.

I would assume when we continue to improve treatments that death tolls will fall rapidly from the current 300-400 per day.

It depends what happens with any new variants

I will also wear it longer than most as I have an elderly vulnerable mother that I help take care of.

Do I believe when cases are high and daily deaths are around the highest for a year and when supermarkets have rules that people who openly defy them are dicks, I would say yes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If it's a rule, I have no beef with them enforcing it, and no problem with wearing a mask. I never had a problem with it.

But this looks like an old statement. It's no longer gov regulation, so it looks like hasn't been updated?

Go and read their statements to the public in the last few day, they said they are continuing as is.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I would assume not.

I would assume when we continue to improve treatments that death tolls will fall rapidly from the current 300-400 per day.

I will also wear it longer than most as I have an elderly vulnerable mother that I help take care of.

Do I believe when cases are high and daily deaths are around the highest for a year and when supermarkets have rules that people who openly defy them are dicks, I would say yes.

We always have to remember that these death tolls are not factually due to Covid alone. The reporting is actually far from accurate.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I would assume not.

Exactly. I imagine there's no-one on the forum who intends to wear a mask forever, or expects to be compelled to do so.

So in practice, we are going from a period where wearing a mask while shopping was compelled to, eventually, hopefully, one where almost nobody will be wearing one. Clearly we are not all going to take them off as one, in a moment of national unity, so people will do this at their own pace. Some people will want to do it right away, others will want to do so at a later date.

The thing that annoys me is wading through a very tedious six or so pages of outraged moral condemnation related to this topic (my fault for reading it of course). If other people have got to the destination faster then for sure people can disagree with them, they can even say why, but I don't really see why it needed 100+ posts of sneering and calling people 'clearings in the woods'. We're all going to get to the same destination in the end, let's hope.

My advice for people who want to shop without a mask but can't at Sainsbury's is to do so at Morrison's, who have removed their mask policy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So you don't go out the pub, don't go out to restaurants

I haven’t since covid, no! Re above comment about vulnerable family members

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

and behold have never been out near venerable people with a contagious illness

I’ve not knowingly ever had an illness that could kill another person, no!

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

People need to relax a bit and live there lives.

Hence the issue, why aren’t people living their lives with just this minor inconvenience.  I have to be more careful because of family but you just have to have vaccines and wear a mask occasionally, it’s not exactly hindering your life at all but by doing this, everybody doing this, we can save other peoples lives.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But that’s the whole point of the last few pages, it’s the people who are being dicks going to Sainsburys rather than Morrisons for example.

If vulnerable people are going to places where lots of people are maskless then they are risking themselves but if they are going to what they believe is a safer environment where there are rules on masks, then those who flout those rules and not wear masks are dicks.  That’s all the discussion has been.

When a person decides not to wear a mask anymore will be at different paces as you say but they should still be respectful of other people, especially the vulnerable and also private companies rules.

I like to start by assuming the best out of people, and in this case I assume that rodders did not go to Sainsbury's deliberately looking to infect people with coronavirus. I imagine that he normally shops at Sainsbury's, probably because he lives near one, and that he needed to do some shopping. I would also guess that he either forgot his mask or didn't think he would need to wear one because of the government-level rules changing. A lot of shops seem to have dropped the requirement.

The point is it's not about morality. It's not that Sainsbury's are moral because they require masks and Morrison's are immoral because they don't, or that people who want to wear one are moral and people who don't want to are not. It just isn't about people being 'dicks'.

The thing that will actually happen to Sainsbury's own mask rules is that more and more people will reach the point where they are comfortable being maskless, or will simply forget to take one, and the financial and social cost of enforcing the rule will become too great, so they will stop bothering, and then it will get quietly dropped. Whether that takes a couple of weeks or a few months I don't know, but that will be the process. It won't be a switch from moral to immoral; it's not morality, it's not 'dicks', it's just people rubbing along together as best we can, all a bit different from each other.

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My advice for people who want to shop without a mask but can't at Sainsbury's is to do so at Morrison's, who have removed their mask policy.

What would your advice be if I want to go shopping without a mask, but I'm currently on a mental, internet-inspired boycott of Morrisons due to their reduction of sick-pay for the non-vaccinated, and / or their hatred of the EU as shown by their Brexit chickens?

It's very difficult to keep up with my culture war grocery shopping. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I like to start by assuming the best out of people, and in this case I assume that rodders did not go to Sainsbury's deliberately looking to infect people with coronavirus. I imagine that he normally shops at Sainsbury's, probably because he lives near one, and that he needed to do some shopping. I would also guess that he either forgot his mask or didn't think he would need to wear one because of the government-level rules changing. A lot of shops seem to have dropped the requirement.

The point is it's not about morality. It's not that Sainsbury's are moral because they require masks and Morrison's are immoral because they don't, or that people who want to wear one are moral and people who don't want to are not. It just isn't about people being 'dicks'.

The thing that will actually happen to Sainsbury's own mask rules is that more and more people will reach the point where they are comfortable being maskless, or will simply forget to take one, and the financial and social cost of enforcing the rule will become too great, so they will stop bothering, and then it will get quietly dropped. Whether that takes a couple of weeks or a few months I don't know, but that will be the process. It won't be a switch from moral to immoral; it's not morality, it's not 'dicks', it's just people rubbing along together as best we can, all a bit different from each other.

Sorry mate that’s BS.  A number of us have given reasons why over the last few pages so I won’t reiterate them.

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

What would your advice be if I want to go shopping without a mask, but I'm currently on a mental, internet-inspired boycott of Morrisons due to their reduction of sick-pay for the non-vaccinated, and / or their hatred of the EU as shown by their Brexit chickens?

Send the wife! 😉😂

Edited by nick76

26 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Go aldi or lidels (just avoid their meat its abit shit) 

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It seems to me that some who think people who decide to take the mask of are dicks are basing it on potential threat to others.

But others have had a vaccine. And a 3rd dose too. We now have drugs to cure COVID at early stages if you are volnourable. We also have a very high level of natural immunity. We are in a much better place than we were a year ago, although there is more reported infections. 

So for me it comes down to "how far can we push this argument". Are you a dick if you drive anything other than a 1ltr petrol fiesta considering  the environmental impact that will ruin our planet? Are you a dick if you decide to buy alcohol which hugely increases your chance of disease and taking up a hospital bed? Are you a dick if you give a kid chocolate if you know sugar which by all accounts is a disastrous and addictive thing to your body?

I chose these examples because science is very clear on them.

None of the above are good things to do, but I wouldn't call anyone a dick for doing them. 

You’ve missed the point. No-one is a dick for not wearing a mask. They’re dicks for deliberately not wearing masks in shops which have very specifically asked customers to continue to wear them.

To continue your analogy, if a shop had massive signs up saying “please do not buy alcohol here” and you bought alcohol there, would you be a dick? Yes, yes you would. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are you going to wear yours forever?

I probably will.

Not necessarily for Covid reasons, but I rarely find myself walking through a supermarket or other large retailer without encountering multiple people who seem a bit, I dunno, gross.

In the past I would often hold my breath when near those people until I was sure I was out of their vapour trail.

Covid has given me the excuse I've been looking for and I'm not going to give it up.

All of this is preliminary of course but it seems that the new variant / strain of Omicron is taking hold quite rapidly which might give reason as to why we're not continuing to see the rapid drop in cases. Note the data supporting secondary attack rates (e.g. don't rest on your laurels if you've had COVID previously and think you're immune and think about your household as that's where it is spreading now mainly).  A reminder that these bloody variants are going to come at us for some time.  I think I'll be keeping on my mask for a while yet. 

Edited by trekka
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Sorry mate that’s BS.  A number of us have given reasons why over the last few pages so I won’t reiterate them.

I know, I read them. A load of utterly stupid comparisons to affairs and all sorts of other tedious shite. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know, I read them. A load of utterly stupid comparisons to affairs and all sorts of other tedious shite. 

Well I guess that’s your issue then and we won’t agree on this matter

Â