Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

If that turns out to be true, those of us that have three Pfizer (anecdata - me, my wife and pretty much everyone of my age group that I know) will be told to get a bit of AstraZeneca in us at the first available opportunity given it'll work better?

I mean, it may well be the case. It just feels a bit like convenient face-saving from a significant portion of the Government and the Brexit press who spend the first part of 2021 losing their collective shit at the rest of the world saying that they didn't think the AZ vaccine was as good as the others. And are now sheepishly saying that maybe it isn't as good as some of the others. 

I doubt it, I think the next booster will be a next generation vaccine tailored to whatever variant. 

For the politics side of it, it’s the same policy in Australia so it’s not just a British thing. 

Positive. Managed to avoid since March 2020, but it was bound to happen after going to two pubs & the Villa game on Boxing day. More annoyingly I was out with 20 of my mates last night. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

If that turns out to be true, those of us that have three Pfizer (anecdata - me, my wife and pretty much everyone of my age group that I know) will be told to get a bit of AstraZeneca in us at the first available opportunity given it'll work better?

I mean, it may well be the case. It just feels a bit like convenient face-saving from a significant portion of the Government and the Brexit press who spend the first part of 2021 losing their collective shit at the rest of the world saying that they didn't think the AZ vaccine was as good as the others. And are now sheepishly saying that maybe it isn't as good as some of the others. 

I don't think it was ever a case of it not being good enough.  In fact there is a suggestion it may have better longer term protection. 

It certainly wasn't as good as Pfizer and Moderna but only by a couple of percentage points,  not enough difference to make it not worth using. 

I think it was just quietly dropped because of the heart conditions issue.  Even though they were tiny compared to the lives saved it was just too much bad publicity. 

To be honest it's probably not a bad thing.  It's a vaccine that is the only one many poorer countries can afford to buy so the UK who can afford the more expensive ones shouldn't really be taking up valuable supply.  Probably once the immediate public health emergency was over, and supply issues were resolved so The UK could get enough supply of the other vaccines there were probably internal and external political pressures to stop hoovering up the cheap vaccine. 

AZ because of it's price is used by far more nations than any other. I guess if you are faced with people dying in the streets and an overwhelmed health service the 1 in a million heart related deaths start to come into their proper context. 

Edited by sidcow

Which vaccine was it that had to be kept at ultra-low temperatures? ISTR it was seen as a major obstacle to a fast roll-out at the time, but now everything seems to be dead easy. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Which vaccine was it that had to be kept at ultra-low temperatures? ISTR it was seen as a major obstacle to a fast roll-out at the time, but now everything seems to be dead easy. 

Pfizer

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We didn’t expect the virus to vanish, but did we expect it to still be putting so much pressure on normality at this stage?

When things do get back to normality will it be driven by medicine or by normal mutations of the virus to something less intrusive?

I mean firstly I’m just a random on the internet, but I think if we want an accurate answer to the questions it’s important to set aside our strong yearning for “it to just go away and be over and things go back to normal” because if we let our desired outcome drive our thinking, we’re not being objective.

So, personally to the first question, yes I did, not for the reasons that have materialised, but for ones I didn’t foresee. Firstly, at the start of it all, once it became apparent what was happening across the world we were told it would take typically 2 years to develop a vaccine. Secondly because when nations start shutting themselves off, closing borders, imposing lockdowns and all the rest, that’s (to me) something that is not quickly dropped by governments completely. And my final reason back then was because of the appalling judgement of the likes of Trump, Johnson, and the other unfit to lead leaders.

Second question, I don’t think things will go back to normal in the sense of back to how they were. But however and whatever becomes the new normal for our lives I’d guess it will be driven by medicine and science, by the continuing mutations and variants of the virus and by politics, with the added factor of people-driven changes to what we are prepared to accept as part of whatever new version of normal.

I see the government (UK) are coming out with their usual headline grabbing announcements that when you scratch just a tiny bit deeper you quickly realise are total bollocks. This time it is Nightingale surge hubs which will add up to 4000 more hospital beds. The only issue being that we have no extra nurses/doctors to serve them. In fact quite the opposite as there are record numbers of hospital staff currently off ill with coronavirus. I am sure some people will fall for it all though so job done.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I see the government (UK) are coming out with their usual headline grabbing announcements that when you scratch just a tiny bit deeper you quickly realise are total bollocks. This time it is Nightingale surge hubs which will add up to 4000 more hospital beds. The only issue being that we have no extra nurses/doctors to serve them. In fact quite the opposite as there are record numbers of hospital staff currently off ill with coronavirus. I am sure some people will fall for it all though so job done.

Didn't have the staff the first time around either

• Like 3

My wife, a nurse, is unable to work this weekend because she can't a find PCR test anywhere. Her daughter, who she saw briefly three days ago, tested positive a couple of days ago. She has tested negative on LF tests and feels absolutely fine but her trust won't let her work without a PCR test.

So a nurse who wants to work can't because of a lack of tests.

Edited by picicata
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, picicata said:

My wife, a nurse, is unable to work this weekend because she can't a find PCR test anywhere. Her daughter, who she saw briefly three days ago, tested positive a couple of days ago. She has tested negative on LF tests and feels absolutely fine but her trust won't let her work without a PCR test.

So a nurse who wants to work can't because of a lack of tests.

Maybe we are all expecting too much for the 37,000,000,000 we have spunked on testing (and a little bit of tracing). 

• Like 2

I still keep getting these headaches. The wife is complaining of general cold type symptoms still too.

My boy also getting headaches. 

It could be your standard cold, or (less likely) Omicron evading the lateral flow tests. 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Seems like the Villa game has been a bit of a spreader event, hearing lots of positive reports

Crazy that would happen with 40,000 people jammed into a small place ;)

• Haha 1

Â