Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Weirdly Mrs. T has still not tested positive. She has all the same symptoms as me, I was lateral and PCR positive Sunday, she has done lateral flow every day since and still negative. Is this strange ? I mean we haven't had sex (but its not my birthday until next Tuesday) we still sit in the same room and are in same bed together. Me and my sister and niece only hugged over Christmas (honestly) and we all have it now.   

is Mrs. T immune ?

Scratch that  faint red line this morning on her test, she did one lateral nose swab and was negative. I asked her to try tonsils too even though supposed to be not required and the  line appeared 

On 03/01/2022 at 18:10, HanoiVillan said:

I don't see any evidence that wearing masks in supermarkets makes any meaningful difference in transmission? Supermarkets are just about the best-ventilated indoor spaces people visit. I'm not aware of any outbreaks being traced back to supermarkets during the long part of last year when wearing a mask in supermarkets was rare and not required either.

Thing is every sector is saying there is no evidence it spreads in there particular area:-

Restaurants

Gymnasiums 

Pubs 

Etc.

The only place where I have read reports of major transmission is households. 

I'm guessing here but even if transmission is very low in those places - you have to consider very low in context of a population of 62m.

Then consider that those very low % of cases pass it on to 3 or 4 family members. 

You can quickly see how the cases stack up.

Edited by hippo

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Should have had my roofer pal round today to look at our flat roof on the porch. He said he can't come due to contracting the ole Covid New year, which is fair enough. Though after explaining exactly what I need doing on the roof for 5 minutes he then told me he's up the pub tonight and I can speak to him more if I come out?? I didn't wanna preach, as he's not the only one I've heard about over the holidays. My other pal who's a project manager on the HS2 reckons 50% of his crew 20-30 guys aren't Vaccined up, an haven't had a day off for 3 month's. They do tests every other day but then report it themselves and no one wants a day off as he said they are £300 a day contractors 😳

That's the real bullshit of this whole thing.

I know of people close to me in places of work where people are one against another (warehouses etc) under one roof and no real ventilation. 

As soon as cases rise, they stop mandatory testing. People who work through agencies never report results, and people on contracts are not asked to submit test results because no one can afford to lose more staff.

I can't see a simple fix to this, unless eventually we accept that some people have COVID and we get on with it but that doesn't seem like a reasonable option either.

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Scratch that  faint red line this morning on her test, she did one lateral nose swab and was negative. I asked her to try tonsils too even though supposed to be not required and the  line appeared 

There was a thing the other day saying that Omicron doesn't register very well in nasal tests and throat tests pick it up much better compared to previous versions. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That's the real bullshit of this whole thing.

I know of people close to me in places of work where people are one against another (warehouses etc) under one roof and no real ventilation. 

As soon as cases rise, they stop mandatory testing. People who work through agencies never report results, and people on contracts are not asked to submit test results because no one can afford to lose more staff.

I can't see a simple fix to this, unless eventually we accept that some people have COVID and we get on with it but that doesn't seem like a reasonable option either.

If we are going to "live" with it. Then the first thing to do is to build capacity into the NHS to deal with these hopefully seasonal surges.

Worrying at the moment is we are being told to live with it - when the reality is that those in later life or who do not enjoy good health are going to have quality of life reduced or even a shorter life. That to me isn't "living with it" at all.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

If we are going to "live" with it. Then the first thing to do is to build capacity into the NHS to deal with these hopefully seasonal surges.

Worrying at the moment is we are being told to live with it - when the reality is that those in later life or who do not enjoy good health are going to have quality of life reduced or even a shorter life. That to me isn't "living with it" at all.

It isn't - it's not an easy call.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

What people mean when they say "live with it" is actually "accept that some people are going to die as a consequence of keeping things open".

I get it though. We're all frustrated at the thought of not being able to go to the pub, get a meal at a restaurant, shops and other things being closed. It's hurting the economy and there's people losing jobs and that's terrible as well. No one wants it to happen.

At some point we'll get to a stage where it's like seasonal flu where the vulnerable get a vaccine at certain times of year, and yes, a small number of people are still going to die from it, but I'm not sure are at that point yet. Those saying "live with it" are trying to rush to that point which will inevitably end up with people dying who really didn't need to.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

What people mean when they say "live with it" is actually "accept that some people are going to die as a consequence of keeping things open".

I get it though. We're all frustrated at the thought of not being able to go to the pub, get a meal at a restaurant, shops and other things being closed. It's hurting the economy and there's people losing jobs and that's terrible as well. No one wants it to happen.

At some point we'll get to a stage where it's like seasonal flu where the vulnerable get a vaccine at certain times of year, and yes, a small number of people are still going to die from it, but I'm not sure are at that point yet. Those saying "live with it" are trying to rush to that point which will inevitably end up with people dying who really didn't need to.

What constitutes "rushing" is very much subjective though. I've quoted the figures in this thread before but the weekly covid deaths before Omicron hit were only running 50% higher than the flu deaths - i.e. at the levels you'd get in a particularly bad flu year, where the rest of society just shrugs its shoulders and says "well it's flu, what can we do except offer people jabs?"

If people were willing to tolerate that before covid came along I don't see why they should be taking a different position now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

What constitutes "rushing" is very much subjective though. I've quoted the figures in this thread before but the weekly covid deaths before Omicron hit were only running 50% higher than the flu deaths - i.e. at the levels you'd get in a particularly bad flu year, where the rest of society just shrugs its shoulders and says "well it's flu, what can we do except offer people jabs?"

If people were willing to tolerate that before covid came along I don't see why they should be taking a different position now.

Only 50% higher ?

That sounds like the mother of all increases to me. I think it was 2017 where flu was 9% higher (death rate).

50% more deaths than normal flu sounds seriously bad to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I dunno, I'd call the people that stormed the testing site in MK stupid.  I'd call followers of David Icke stupid, I'd call the MAGA types & Republicans that are overwhelmingly anti-vax stupid.

I know a few vocal anti-vaxxers, the thing they all have in common is that they are thick and ignorant.

Its always the exact same conversation.

Anti-vaxxer makes a claim that is bullshit.

me: points out it’s bullshit and facts/data don’t back it up

anti-vaxxer: I don’t believe those facts or that data but know I’m right.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I know a few vocal anti-vaxxers, the thing they all have in common is that they are thick and ignorant.

There are smart anti - covid vaxxers, there are stupid pro vaxxers.

There are also stupid anti-vaxxers and smart people who support wide vaccination. 

There are many shapes, sizes and colours. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It is subjective but as you point out it also relies on the data and how you interpret it. A 50% increase seems quite a big increase to me.

Is there not also a compounding affect here as well? If flu kills 30000 people a year on average (a figure I just made up) and then a new virus comes along and kills 45000 a year (an increase of 50% on flu deaths), that's now 75000 a year dead on average rather than 30000 - giving you a figure of 150%. That's a figure called "excess deaths".

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

There are smart anti - covid vaxxers, there are stupid pro vaxxers.

There are also stupid anti-vaxxers and smart people who support wide vaccination. 

There are many shapes, sizes and colours. 

Yeah true, that’s true for all world views.

My personal experience is that my anti-vax “friends” are all thick. I would wager that this is a general theme at national level (with some exceptions).

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Only 50% higher than flu....when 80% of the population were vaccinated against it.

"Smart" anti-vaxxers need to take a look at the fact that every single far right frothing moron is also anti vax.  To name a few, Laurence Fox, Paul Joseph Watson, Candace Owens, Steve Bannon, Alex Jones, the list goes on.

Is this the side they want to be on?

• Like 3

The truth of it is there are a few clever anti vaxxers and if they all refused to get vaccinated it would not be material enough to be a problem.

The problem is those few clever anti vaxxers influence and coerce the larger number of thick easily duped anti vaxxers who eat up their tripe and that is where the echo chamber and larger numbers creep into it when it becomes harmful.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

A recent example from about 2-3 weeks ago

Anti-vaxxer: Isn’t it funny how as soon as a new variant emerges nobody catches the old one anymore and it just vanishes

Me: Points out that majority at that point we’re still Delta and only about 1 in 6 we’re the new variant.

Anti-vaxxer: There’s no way of knowing what variant people caught.

Me: Yes, the labs that check the returned samples check the variant (shares video news report of them doing it).

Anti-vaxxer: I don’t trust them.

———————————————————

another was when pulling someone up on something that was fact checked as being incorrect.

anti-vaxxer: the fact checkers are on the payroll of the pharmaceutical companies

Â